Fibromyalgia book title feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have fibromyalgia. And to the doctor who wrote the book, thank you and I wish you much success , I agree with Flexecif. And I’m glad there’s a doctor that gives a damn like you. At least you’re trying. And from what I’m learning in therapy, and already know deep down, is to change my way of thinking which can help emotional pain and the physical pain although I am nowhere close to any of that, but I do believe it works. My therapist is an army veteran 100% disabled from a horrible injury although you could never tell it.
Thanks so much for your encouragement and positive feedback I hope to have it published by early January

I cannot help but notice that neither here, nor anywhere else that the Drtohelpfibro has posted on these forums does he give any references to papers, studies, or other sources for the things that he is claiming as facts. He never replies when someone asks him for more info on where he gets his ideas, or for his sources for what he is saying. He simply ignores people (such as myself and JayCS) who ask him for info or particulars.

This makes me suspect this person doesn't really have any of these references, nor has actually explored any of the studies (if there are any) pertaining to the things he is saying. People who actually have scientific information don't mind giving their sources, in fact they are eager to do so.
I'd be pretty wary of believing him, myself. It appears that he only came here to promote his (rather dubious) book.

I am trying to figure out how to reply to this politely especially since I am brand new to this forum. I believe the doctor is simply trying to get an opinion on a title to a book. The skepticism and negative remarks that a couple of people are giving without proof are not helpful.

And another thought, why be so pessimistic and critical. Give a person (Dr.) a chance until proven wrong.

Little Debbie, I am sorry you are offended by what I have said. I mean no disrespect, nor am I trying to be mean, negative, or pessimistic, as none of those things are in my nature. But I do believe that a healthy skepticism is a good thing to have in the world, and it is not at all a negative quality.
I am simply pointing out that it is appropriate and traditional for a person who is making scientific or statistical medical claims to offer proof of those claims by noting his sources, which should scientific peer-reviewed studies rather than anecdotal. This is standard practice.

And it is up to the person making the claims to validate their information, and not up to the person reading it to prove them wrong. Asking for sources is not rude, but is again standard practice if they are not being supplied.

The fact that he has ignored completely all posts asking for his sources of information is suspect to me. He could have responded, even if it were only to say that he didn't want to supply those here but they are fully annotated in his book. I am just offering an opinion, as you are. Thanks for the feedback, and the chance to explain my reasons. I stand by my statements, but am not trying to say that anyone else should see things the same way I do.

I wasn’t offended and I didn’t say you were being mean. Just give the doctor a chance was my point.. Maybe one of his ideas helps even one person, how nice with that be.

This is just my opinion, but I avoid books with words like ‘conquering’ and ‘solution’ in the title. I’ve been sold too many false promises over the years. I look for books that offer guides to coping, improving symptoms, offering hope, and ideas for improving my life with fibromyalgia.

Thanks for your support
It has been very busy at the clinic and with the Holidays
I hope to have the book published before the end of this month. I have had doctors and patients review my book.
I consider having fibromyalgia is like being an underdot. I love cheering for the underdogs.
I don’t do Facebook and am not accustomed to going on social media. I prefer face to face or zoom or phone.
i can see doing a zoom type conference in the future as face to face isn’t possible unless you are a patient of mine.
I want to share a quote from a patient who reviewed the book and hope her words speak to those of you suffering with fibromyalgia.

This from a patient of mine Megan F

Terrific book. I absolutely love it. I have read so many articles on the topic over the years and they often contradict each other or contain inaccurate or incomplete information. Your book exemplifies the kind of doctor you are. You listen to your patients and you have spent countless hours reading and learning about this frustrating disorder. My endorsement would be:
I have spent countless hours at various types of doctors including chiropractors, OBGYNs, ENTs, Allergists, Physical Therapists, Family Doctors, and Internists attempting to explain my ever changing symptoms. When I first saw Dr. Lenz a few years ago, his staff spent almost two hours with me asking me countless questions that I did not understand. Eventually, Dr. Lenz came into the room and told me I have Fibromyalgia. After almost 35 years of agonizing pain, unnecessary surgeries, and being told my symptoms were hormone related, I felt like a dignified and respected human again. Thank you Dr. Lenz for this excellent and comprehensive book. You are the voice for those of us who had none in the medical community for too long.
I love the analogies you use in the book too. General contractor is the perfect way to explain the need for physician training in the area of Fibromyalgia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back