Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
02/2023
Country
CA
State
ON
I was diagnosed last month with fibromyalgia, and have been slowly coming to terms with what it means. I've been researching, reading, and speaking with people about it in order to grasp exactly what changes need to occur in my life so I can get by. I still feel as though I'm at a loss for information, and I think a big part of it is because there's no one thing that will work for everyone, it's a lot of figuring out what is going to work for you.
My doctor referred me to a chronic pain group, and I'm currently on the waitlist. It's run by a physiotherapist and my doctor says it focuses on managing pain, but also our brain's relation to it. He says that it's the best way to handle what's going on, as things like stretches and medications will only go so far. We focus on the brain, and pain management, and it should provide some relief. I'm not entirely sure how well I summarized that as I'm fatigued and my brain has not been at its best for a long time.
I find days where I get enough sleep at night easier, but, like this week, I've had very little sleep and my brain just isn't functioning problem. Brain fog is the term I believe. Not to mention my pain has been bad this week.
I have been feeling somewhat isolated. I enjoy chatting with my coworkers and friends, and we have candid conversations about life. They're aware of my diagnosis, but as none of them have fibro, they're still not entirely understanding of it. My husband and family are incredibly supportive, but there is a gap between how much they understand and how I function. I've been ensuring that I keep them as up to date on any information I get about fibro and what I NEED in order to function. But it's hard because my husband feels overwhelmed since there are days where he has to take on more, leaving less time for him to take care of himself. I feel bad, but I am also quite limited in what I can do, especially when I'm having a really bad pain day. I am seeing a therapist to help with my mental health, as I've been battling depression and anxiety for years now. Both of which could have spurred from neck issues I had at least 10 years ago, which upon educating myself on the basics, may have been my first sign that I have fibro (the neck issues).
I work as a teacher and most of my mental faculties are spent at work, and by the time I get home, or try to focus on something besides work, I find myself unable to do so in a productive way. I can still get things done, but I start losing focus and coherency (I may be writing this post, but my brain is unfocused at the moment and I feel I'm mostly rambling at this point).
I have a dog and two cats who, more often than not, keep me sane and keep me going. The fact that they rely on me has been a good motivator to get my ass out of bed each day. My parents also have four dogs, which I lived with before moving in with my husband, and I'm very attached to. Visiting them has helped with my mental health and my motivation to get out of the house for something besides work. I still struggle with trying to maintain and keep plans with friends, but they try to understand as much as they can.
I read a post that was linked to a previous post about coping with fibro and certain things you can do to help with it (I read a few posts before posting), and found it really helpful. Sorry, I've already forgotten who posted it... but it was helpful!

Welcome to the forum. If you are referring to this post,
then I wrote it. Please feel free to ask us any questions or tell us about your experience, If you want any advice, we are here to help, or we will just read what you have to say and empathize.

Yes, that's the one! Thank you.

You are very welcome. On this forum there are no stupid questions, and no one will be unkind to you. I make sure of that! So if you need to vent or to ask advice or just to chat with people, this is a great place for it. You are not alone in this and we are here to help you with anything you need. Just knowing there are others out there somewhere who understand and will respond when you need to write something can be a big help.

It definitely makes me feel comfortable knowing that, and it's a bit of a relief to be honest. Trying to figure it out on your own is so difficult. I am thankful I found this website and forum.

I'm new to this forum. I've been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia and my symptoms are getting worse. I'm not able to go to work for days. Feeling depressed and lost. I read and liked your post. Trying hard to get out of this..

I understand. I've been fortunate that I haven't missed a lot of work due to my fibro, though there are days I'm surprised I made it through. I've left work early a couple of times because of it getting bad. I hope you find this forum helpful and supportive, and that you find something here that makes it a little more bearable.
I can sympathize with you in feeling depressed and lost. I don't want to say it'll get better, because it'll probably be a journey of ups and downs - good and bad - but I think this forum is a good starting point for both of us. From what I've seen, there are a lot of supportive people here who can empathize because they're going through the same thing. We took the first step in being here, and I think we can do it.

I'm new to this forum. I've been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia and my symptoms are getting worse. I'm not able to go to work for days. Feeling depressed and lost. I read and liked your post. Trying hard to get out of this..
Hi Lakshmi12, and welcome!
You've read sunkacola's advice post pinned at the top of the forum? That's a great start to help you "get out of this".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back