Fibromyalgia forum 1st timer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

L5RKE

Hi. My name is Barry and I have recently been diagnosed with fibromyalga, despite having some pain for several years but is now becoming very widespread. I have been taking Duiloxitin for a very long time and is not helping me with the pain. I was a very keen cyclist, runner and gym goer but these activities have come to a stop as the pain is just too Intense.
Is Duiloxitin the best drug or is their others out ther that will take the pain away?
I am currently going through a flair up and it's excruciating.
Is their help out there,

Hi Barry and welcome here!
Sorry to hear you're feeling so bad at the moment. Many of us have had to go from very active to pretty inactive and learning to pace and not overdo it is often hard. Have you managed to or could your flare have been caused by that? Have you been able to identify any trigger(s)? It's often a good starting place to track and analyze symptoms and possible triggers in a diary, I don't know if you've started doing that yet. @sunkacola's Big Advice Post at the top of the forums will help you for basics like that.
Meds and pain: Generally pain killers can not take the pain away, they only suppress it, only identifying & preventing triggers plus treating the overall and local pains as well as possible using the many physical possibilities.
Duloxetine/Cymbalta together with only pregabalin/Lyrica and milnacipan/Savella is approved for fibro by the US. Only amitriptyline has been proven similarly "effective" for fibro. But since all meds for fibro are proven "pretty ineffective" and we are all different, there is none that will take too much of the pain away and there is definitely no "best drug".
Since you say duloxetine/Cymbalta isn't helping the pain, I wonder why you are using it, is there any other good reason? If there is any other reason, like depression for instance, then I'd ask the docs to change (e.g. milnacipran is also for depression). Some people take quite a cocktail. I'd however suggest it's better because of side effects and general health to trial and learn different ways of getting the pain down and to wean off of any meds as soon as possible.
It is well likely if duloxetine doesn't help that others won't help you either.

So: Try changing if meds are stlll necessary, but >100 other strategies and treatments as soon as possible (mental, physical, diet, environment and instead of meds supps, each with 20+ possibilities).
Hope that helps - otherwise others will surely add to that and feel welcome to explain and ask more! 👐

Last edited:
Hi Barry.
Sorry to say there is no single drug that is 100% effective on taking away the pain. It sometimes takes some trial and error to find what works best for you. Jay is spot on when suggesting alternatives to drugs due to side effects that can sometimes cause more problems. The more common pain meds for this did not work well for me at all.. had some pretty nasty side effects from them.

My physical med Doc would really like for me to try low dose naltrexone, but because insurance wont cover it, and i currently have no income, i cant afford to.

the best i can offer at this point is to try to get some sort of exercise - even just going for a short walk can be beneficial - but dont push yourself too hard. gentle stretching can help, too - but again, dont over do it.

Definitely check out sunkacola's post that Jay linked to.. lots of great ideas in there.. and yes, diet can have a big impact on how you feel.

It sometimes takes some trial and error to find what works best for you.
👆🏻👆🏻
If you are not getting any pain relief, look for other options. This forum is full of suggestions and ideas.
Extend grace to yourself and take time to learn what works best for you.
Hang in there! 💐💐

I'm on tramadol and it has helped so much over the years

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back