Not open for further replies.

CatMama89

Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
11/2012
Country
UK
I have an appointment with the "Pain Management Team" for my fibro pain. Has anyone else seen them and can tell me if they are any good and what to expect and what help/service they offer? I am always anxious over anything and everything and like to know what to expect.

Hi CatMama,

I haven't had experience with these kinds of clinics in the UK, but according to the NHS website:

Pain clinics offer a wide range of treatments and support. They aim to support you in developing self-help skills to control and relieve your pain.

Treatments may include:

• medicine
  • pain-relief injections
  • manual therapy
  • exercise
  • TENS machines
  • complementary therapy
  • psychological therapy

It also talks about Pain Management Programs:

Some people receiving treatment at a pain clinic may be offered a pain management programme (PMP).

The aim of a PMP is to improve your quality of life, despite your pain, rather than reducing your pain.

PMPs are usually delivered through a series of group sessions with other people with persistent pain, in a friendly environment.

The sessions may include:

• gentle exercise
  • relaxation and mindfulness
  • how to manage emotions related to long-term pain
  • group discussion
  • learning to pace yourself to avoid pain flare-ups

Wish I could give you some more handy info. Perhaps someone else on here will have a direct experience they can share!

Hi CatMama, praps only indirectly direct: I've read quite a few UK-people discussing their experiences, and it seemed to depend very much, so they can be very good...
Or praps direct after all: It sounds like what the German inpatient rheum./clinic did with me for a 2 week stay, except no meds/injections and no group discussions, which I very much missed and was the starting point to look for forums. The clinic would have been great if I hadn't been trying most of the things already that could help and if I weren't so oversensitive to most manual therapy, exercises & electrotherapy. So this all very much harmed me, but also made it clear that I was much more sensitive than my fellow fibromites there and that I have to pace differently. I could swim and "dance" energetically, but all exercising made me flare as everything I do has to be in short stints, as I had/have a quick/er exhaustibility. In that sense it was definitely interesting, worth the insights and gain in experience. So I'd say it's definitely not just how they are, it's what you make of it: You can use it to try out new things, to learn to pace and overdo it. Trying out new things en masse will necessarily sometimes or all the time be overdoing it - there you may have an advantage if it's outpatient, also the trials and tribulations of new food, mattress and dreadful snorers smashing up my gut and sleep. Altho they tried with the food - I was too considerate, something I've also had to improve.

I was referred to a pain clinic by them based in Wales in 2007 were I met one of my closest friends. There was a handful of people leading the course including a physio and a nurse. We were given handouts discussing chronic pain, fatigue, medication, with some work to complete at home including pacing, relaxation and exercise. They also guided us through practicals such as gentle exercise, different relaxation techniques and a Tai Chi session with a local instructor.

There was about 20 people with different ailments but I was the only one with fibromyalgia. It made a change speaking to people that acknowledged you suffered with chronic pain. One of the first things we were told is that "you are not your disability, it is a part of your life". They emphasised management and were helpful but I was in bad place with depression. Looking back although I tried their suggestions, I would have been better off incorporating them into daily life. I've now been meditating daily and using breathing exercises since 2019.

It's worth speaking to them, perhaps you can inquire to see what they cover. I recommend taking a pain diary as an example for a one to one meeting. In a group course it can help to settle nerves with company and maybe even get chatting over a brew.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back