Fibromyalgia Relief

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evelyn Cg

I found a natural relief for my fibromyalgia pain through use of simple, but powerful mineral capsules generally labeled "Mega-Magnesium". It's a combination of malate magnesium, chelate magnesium, citrate magnesium, & malic acid. The capsules are derived from vegetables. Regular Oxide magnesium is ineffective; as well as, using Citrate or Chelate by themselves. You can order online if you can't find it at your health food store. I found mine at my local HEB store, which now sells them online. I have introduced numbers of people to this natural approach, including my family, where lupus & fibromyalgia runs in our history. They have all praised the benefits of taking Mega-Magnesium. Magnesium, a type of salt, feeds our muscles and nerves. I and others I know have also received relief from siatic nerve pain and restless leg syndrome after prolonged use of this type mineral magnesium.

In lieu of the mineral capsules, you can also obtain this critical magnesium with the same super benefits...by DAILY...juicing a fresh mixture of vegetables...mostly composed of deep greens (Ex: kale, spinach, beet leaves, beets, celery and sweeten with some carrot or apple) made from deep greens. You use the juicing machines that crushes the juice out of the vegetables (green juicers)...leaving the pulp behind.

You may notice undeniable results from the capsules in maybe a month of taking capsules 3 times daily religiously. The best fast results from your homemade (store bought is ineffective - it's pasteurized) green drinks is to gourge (fill up) on it along for at least 3-4 days straight, before you level off to a daily drinking. The magnesium capsule is the convenient & lazy approach.

Sugar and alcohol greatly diminishes the effects of magnesium...and may make benefits null and void. Once you've started expetiencing the magnesium benefits...you can occasionally consume sugar and/ or alcohol (Ex: wine 5% alc volume) in small amounts. Know that sugar, alcohol, and cold weather wrecks havoc on the fibromyalgia body.

I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia years ago and the pain started after the birth of my second child. I have been prescribed numerous drugs that did not work and carried dangerous side effects. Methocarbonal made me feel loopy and while leaving me with the pain, the only prescription that relieved the pain was Valium...a narcotic, that ruins your health. Acupuncture provided me no relief; and massages were intolerable while in pain...which was most of the time.

You will be amazed at the relief achieved through proper magnesium intake. I'm no longer bed ridden, carrying crutches wherever I go. I can wear high heels and take long walks. I can live again and not feel suicidal, due to debilitating pain being my constant companion.

After years of my already benefitting from the use of Mega- megnesium, I attended pain relief sessions in a hospital setting, doctor instructed, where magnesium (chelate, malate) was recommended for use against pain such as that brought on by fibromyalgia, etc.

These are my experiences that I have shared with many who have benefited...even those with simple muscle aches and painful spasms. Athletes use magnesium for quick muscle recovery after workouts.

It's an answer from God, using simple foods from His garden. Try either the capsules or juicing, or combine both approaches.

As you experience the benefits, inform others in your circles, travels, and social media. No fine should have to suffer a life of pain like this, when all we have to do is care for and share with each other...and make use of the info received.

It would be great to hear from those who have or will have benefited from either approach. 😉

Thanks for telling us all about your experience.

It is important to note, however, that not all "remedies" work for everyone, so it is not possible to say that any one thing will help any other person. We are all so different, and FM is a syndrome that manifests very differently in many of us. Some things will help some people greatly and they will think that this is The Answer for everyone, but unfortunately it is not.

If you read the posts here you will see that some people rave about the results with this one thing and others will chime in to say it had no effect for them. This is how FM is. If there were one thing that worked for everyone, there's be no need for this forum at all because we would all be living normal lives without any pain. :)

So, while telling others about what works for you is always welcome, and people often will try something that they hear works for others, the results are never guaranteed. For some, it might help, for others it might be what makes things a whole lot worse.

We encourage everyone to keep this in mind when posting about something that helped them.

Magnesium is famous for causing diarrhea. Did this combination cause diarrhea?

Magnesium is famous for causing diarrhea. Did this combination have that effect?

To whom are you addressing this question, ckbmore?

I was advised against magnesium bc of ibs but it sounds great! Maybe I could handle the juice, too bad I couldn’t get my family to drink the green juice 🧃

It's a combination of malate magnesium, chelate magnesium, citrate magnesium, & malic acid. ... Magnesium, a type of salt.
I'll sort that out a bit, if you don't mind...: Magnesium is a metal. This can be combined with a lot of things, e.g. 1) chelated which results in a "compound", a so-called "salt" (nothing much to do with table salt), like for instance with malic acid ("apple" acid), to make magnesium malate; whilst magnesium citrate is not a chelate, it is 2) an organic form. 3) Anorganic forms would be the 3rd possibility of compounds, like Epsom salts (magnesium sulfate), and are generally less bioavailable.
others will chime in to say it had no effect for them
That'd be me... Praps a little support, so it's one of the few things I've been taking. (The malate form for FM; also tried the glycinate form).
Magnesium is famous for causing diarrhea. Did this combination have that effect?
I was advised against magnesium bc of ibs but it sounds great!
I have IBS-D, i.e. Irritable Bowel Syndrome with Diarrhea (spelling it out to try to take the forum rules I just read seriously... : :cool:) under control via elimination diet. The malate & glycinate forms are 2 of 3 or 4 that are OK, if I keep under about the recommended net 300mg magnesium. Magnesium citrate is one of 4-5 laxative forms. So the above formula = magnesium malate & magnesium citrate, would/does have "that effect" on me.

chelated which results in a "compound", a so-called "salt" (nothing much to do with table salt), like for instance with malic acid ("apple" acid), to make magnesium malate;
Whoopsadaisy: malate is like citrate an organic compound with magnesium, whilst chelates are compounds with amino acids like glycinate, threonate, taureate, lysinate. So the magnesium (bis)glycinate that Jemima and I use is a chelated form.

Jay that’s hella confusicating

Sorry I’m normally interested in the science and am just needing more clarification if possible

confusicating .... more clarification if possible
Hehe, I agree. I've needed hours and hours to understand the many magnesium types and the dosage.
As this is a magnesium thread, & it's quiet, I hope it's OK / helpful if I do a bit more of an overview of what I've found...
(An update on things I've written before)

After all is said and done:
magnesium malate & (bis)glycinate are best for FM

and also both not laxative at <300mg/d.

Firstly, things that can be said about magnesium generally are:
  • improves mitochondrial activity, e.g. energy.
  • It’s important for so much (muscles, nerves, pain (central sensitization), perhaps sleep, migraine...)
  • usual diets do not contain enough.
  • Helps increase vitamin D3. And vice versa.
  • improves depression, stress, anxiety, mood, burnout...
However it's not the type of supplement which you immediately feel the benefit of (like amino acids or enzymes).
Dosage is a problem if a product isn't clear on if the amount stated is net (just magnesium) or gross (the compound).
Often also, as probably in @Evelyn Cg's product, it isn't always clear what form(s) is/are contained, which is very important.
Studies are often unclear and contradictory, so it's hard to see how true the following details about what they are good for are.
Inside the 3 sets, I've put malate and glycinate at their top, as they seem most relevant for FM,
the rest is alphabetical, except the worst forms in brackets at the bottom. Anorganic isn't

As it's a silverish metal, we need to take it as a compound with something else, and the characteristics of that influence the effect.
  • Organic compounds ('salts') (better bioavailability), e.g.
    • Mg malate: (little) evidence for FM & CFS. Less laxative. Migraines, mood, chronic pain, blood sugar control, exercise performance, depression, mitochondria (energy), fatigue. Bioavailability superior to that of citrate and oxide.
    • citrate: constipation = laxative; perhaps calming: depression & anxiety. Widely used, inexpensive, enters blood quite quickly (peak), but bioavailability varies widely. Good for kidney stones. Bad if histamine intolerance.
    • gluconate (highly bioavailable): take with meals.
    • lactate: (also food additive): stress and anxiety. Less laxative. Probably lowers performance - often in detergents.
    • orotate (expensive): Less laxative. Heart (cardiovascular energy production), blood pressure, other muscle cells, nerve cells, tension headaches, well studied. Short-term, as can increase uric acid. Passes cell membranes very well.
    • (Magnesium ascorbate: buffered vitamin C - not so much a magnesium form, combines the two. Praps slightly laxative.)
  • chelates with amino acids (better absorption), e.g.
    • (bis)glycinate (highly bioavailable): Praps calming - anxiety, depression, stress, and insomnia, restless legs, spasms, & inflammation, heart & diabetes, stomach hyperacidity, less laxative.
    • taurate: Blood sugar & pressure. Brain friendly. Good bioavailability (as acetyl taurate).
    • L-threonate (expensive, MIT-developed, new studies): Perhaps brain health, depression & age-related memory loss.
    • (aspartate: Not good, overexcites NMDA receptors, perhaps toxic side effects. But probably good for chronic fatigue...🙄.)
    • (glutamate: can cause overload, become neurotoxic & poison nerve tissue. Possibly worsens depression or anxiety.)
  • anorganic compounds (bad bioavailable & less absorption), e.g.
    • carbonate: Probably well tolerated, cheap, in mineral waters. 32% magnesium content. Neutralizes stomach acid.
    • chloride: heartburn, constipation, replenishing. Topically for muscle soreness (but little evidence for skin absorption). Viral stress, diseases.
    • oxide (in milk of magnesia): heartburn, indigestion, and constipation (!), migraines. Praps laxative effect, neutralizes gastric acid. Time-delayed absorption, interesting for combinations, but much less bioavailability.
    • sulfate: infusions & Epsom bath salts, but little evidence for skin absorption (magnesium generally). Otherwise laxative.
    • (hydroxide: Poor absorption, more stool: avoid.)
    • (peroxide: probably only something for intestinal cleansing…)
Avoid Sango Coral: Dangerous - high calcium content (10% magnesium, 20% calcium).

(Edit: the glycinate is good for stomach hyperacidity & less laxative, added that there and at the top of this post. My take on it tho is that it woke me up at night, taking it in the day was OK for that, but I've stopped it in favour of more malate).

Last edited:
I’ve been taking magnesium vitamin d vitamin b complex and fish oils and I’ve been having the mother of all flare ups for the past 4 weeks..for me there is nothing that takes the pain away I’m sure the supplements must be doing something but I can’t say I’m hugely different but I do think my anxiety has calmed down slightly from the magnesium. I’m not sure if the cold weather has caused this but I don’t remember being this bad last year when it was cold this thing is so confusing!

I’ve been taking magnesium vitamin d vitamin b complex and fish oils and I’ve been having the mother of all flare ups for the past 4 weeks..for me there is nothing that takes the pain away I’m sure the supplements must be doing something but I can’t say I’m hugely different but I do think my anxiety has calmed down slightly from the magnesium. I’m not sure if the cold weather has caused this but I don’t remember being this bad last year when it was cold this thing is so confusing!
I'm in exactly the same place. I hope you feel better soon!

mother of all flare ups for the past 4 weeks
Yup, me too - 2 weeks and counting. It's jab#1 (with FM & my oversensitivity, not the cold outside tho. In occasional hours where I'm feeling better & can walk a bit, I can be outside for half an hour, sometimes 1h. But I've never been so cold intolerant (5th pair of socks day & night, long johns, heated blanket most of the day, hot water bottle at night; plus still almost 20 symptoms). But I know if I stopped the supps exactly what would get worse. However I agree: Mg, D, B & Ω3 are the ones we sense least of... :rolleyes:

I'm in exactly the same place. I hope you feel better soon!
Me too. I am not having as many anxiety attacks since taking the magnesium. But of course I remain always aware that correlation is not causation, and there's no way for me to know if the fewer anxiety attacks are due to the magnesium or not. Lately I got a different form of magnesium from my chiropractor, who recommends it to me for my hand pain, which has been bad lately. So if the anxiety attacks increase it will be information for me, although further experimentation will be needed in order for me to determine whether or not the specific magnesium affects anxiety in me or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back