Finally had a decent nights sleep!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also found a note on antihistamines helping sleep,
actually, that is pretty common with a lot of the older formulations.. the new stuff, not so much.

I am trying to get off Gabapentin, Doctor said it would probably contribute to my Memory Loss issues, especially when used with other Meds I'm on but my leg cramps came back with a vengeance & am sleeping fitfully with nasty nightmares. What's 'HTP' & can it be bought over the counter?

What's 'HTP' & can it be bought over the counter?
it is 5-HTP (the 5 is important) and yes, it can be purchased over the counter.. can usually be found in the supplements aisle - being you are in the UK, not really sure what you have for stores, but I would expect that chain drug stores would have it. You should also be able to find it online... Natures Bounty, Now and Spring Valley are all reputable brands of supplements (at least here in the US), there are others as well, those are just off the top of my head.

This is a little bit of info from Mt Sinai...
What do 5-HTP supplements do?

5-HTP dietary supplements help raise serotonin levels in the brain. Since serotonin helps regulate mood and behavior, 5-HTP may have a positive effect on sleep, mood, anxiety, appetite, and pain sensation. 5-HTP is not found in the foods we eat, although tryptophan is found in foods.

I would suggest you research a bit more before spending money on anything - educate yourself on what it is, what it does, and any potential side effects to watch for. Dont just take my word for it, or anyone elses, for that matter. I would also suggest speaking with your GP about it and/or your pharmacist - to make sure there would be no interactions with any other meds you may be taking (shouldn't be, but best to make sure).

We all know getting a good nights sleep is crucial to how we feel.. it has helped me, but i also seem to have hit a plateau with it... or perhaps the neck issues are interfering more.. not really sure. I am still taking it every night, about 30 mins before bedtime, and I am still sleeping better than I had been before I started taking it.. but not quite as well as I was initially.. I may need to increase the dose from 50mg to 100mg... not sure yet.. Kind of want to wait and see how things go with the cortisone injection (Dec 8) before I make up my mind on that.

I have been reading about it and what you are saying sounds about right. Increase slowly and max at 300mg. I have introduced it now and am also nicely surprised at how well I slept these past few nights. I am only at 50 mg. Interestingly my husband takes it for a different reason. I had no idea! All I had to do was ask him. ;)

Interestingly my husband takes it for a different reason.
curious.. what is he taking it for? and at what dose?

I am still going to hold off on raising my dose until after the injections.. maybe do it the first of the new year..

Only sleep if you have to. You can go 28+ days without it.

Sleep deprivation is used as torture & the accepted medical/psychiatric view is that it only takes approx 10 days without sleep to cause irreparable damage to the brain. Am sure I speak for most of us, that in order to be able to deal with Fybro & stay functional to any level, a good night's quality sleep is absolutely essential, as going without sleep not only triggers Fibrofog & anxiety but also exacerbated pain & myriad increased symptoms to the point of total dysfunctionality. Plus, research indicates that there is an apparent connection between lack of sleep & increasing risk of Dementia, Sleep is nature's way of healing, especially for us.

Whoops, I missed this question. Apparently it is supposed to help you not be so brain foggy? I find that answer kind of weird because I sleep quite well with htp

Whoops, I missed this question. Apparently it is supposed to help you not be so brain foggy? I find that answer kind of weird because I sleep quite well with htp
Not sure why you / someone would think 5-HTP helps alertness - sleep is one of the things it's most recommended for, like you say. But it's not at all well studied, because of supp mishaps early on, "won't" happen again.

So... update from me...

I was told to stop taking the 5-HTP a week before my injection... which turned into nearly 2 weeks due to an unexpected scheduling change...
but have not restarted it since... sleeping ok for the most part.

Also of note is FINALLY being treated for hypothyroid (which i have suspected for a long time, but TSH test always came back in the "normal" range - even tho at the upper end of that, so they would not treat) Still in the early stages of this, so not optimal yet... but I think this is having a positive impact on my sleep. Time will tell.

I know several of you take different supplements to help with various things related to fibro.. and I have started trying a few of the more common ones for myself.. just to see if there is any difference - for me. (I am well aware that everyone is different and can react differently to things)

Tried GABA about a month ago.. really did not seem to do much for me.. maybe it is the form I tried, or perhaps the dosage, i dunno..

Tried 1 capsule of 5-HTP (50mg) last night - taken about 30 mins before bed time... and had the best nights sleep I have had in a VERY long time. Fell asleep reasonably quickly - within 30 minutes. I did have to get up once to use the bathroom, but crawled right back into bed and fell right to sleep again.. highly unusual for me these days.

it is my understanding the 5-HTP and GABA together are supposed to be even better for improving sleep quality.. so...

Does anyone else use these two supplements either separately or together? and if so, in what dosages? when do you take and how often? Just trying to get a feel for how/when these are typically used.
I take GABA with Glysine and it works very well. No more zopiclone if I can help it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back