Not open for further replies.

Silicon28

Diagnosis
06/2011
Country
US
State
NC
I'm pretty new around here, and have what might be a common question: How do I go about finding the most knowledgeable doctor to help me manage my Fibro? My G.P. - who diagnosed me 3 years ago, seems not to know what to do beyond throwing the "miracle meds" (like Lyrica or Cymbalta) at me. Trouble is, I'm one of that "one percent" that simply cannot tolerate the side effects of anything other than tramadol. My doctor has referred me once to a rheumatologist, who did not concur with my diagnosis. (Her conclusion was simply, "you work with your hands and muscles and probably are going to hurt from time to time..." Less than useless when I was already exhibiting solid and consistent trigger point pain almost all the time.)

Anyway, not to make a short story long... I'm not at the point where my fibro pain can be called anywhere close to managed - E.R. visits, follow up with cardiologist have reassured me that my ongoing pain isn't cardiac related... but I simply can't find a doctor in the Piedmont NC region who seems to have the first clue beyond throwing Rx scripts at me to help me manage... Anyone have any ideas on how to find the resources I need?

Is there any way you can get to another Rheumy? Maybe a 2nd opinion? Do you have any colleges with a Rheumatology departments? I would see about those options. Also, has anyone offered physical therapy? If you can find a physical therapist who does deep tissue massage you'd be golden. That is tremendously helpful for fibro.

These are the things that I would suggest. It can be very hard to find a good doctor that deals with fibro.

Hi there. If you have been diagnosised with fibro, then I would suggest you find a good family doctor to help you manage the symptoms of this diease. It might be all they can offer you is medications. Doctors are not able to do much more than treat you or refer you to someone else. So try and find one who believes that fibro exists, and then try some different meds and treatments.

On this site you will find lots of coping skills that other members have used. Things like massages and relaxation methods in reducing the stress in your life. Some folks talk with mental health counselers and others try natural remedies for pain relief.

If you don't have the diagnosis, other than your own idea that your illness might be fibro, then find another rheumatologist and whatever you do, don't self-diagnosis in their office. These types of doctors will back away from helping you if you say this is what you have. Just tell them your worse symptoms and let them do the diagnosis part. I know from past experience that if your trying to decide whats wrong, they will label you as depressed or crazy. So be patient and wait it out.

But you can learn symptom management and help yourself and others by reading posts and answering other peoples questions, and just joining in around the forum. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back