Reason
Undiagnosed
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
UK
State
SY
Hi. I've been a member of the forum for a while but have never posted until now because I'm not sure if I have FM. The posts on here have helped me enormously and I now think that I may have had FM for 20 years. I did see a Rheumatogist around 5 years ago who said that she didn't think it was FM although my GP did. Recently there have been lots of upsets in my life and my pain and fatigue have been much worse. Around 5 and a half years ago I was diagnosed with Allodynia in my head and was prescribed Duloxetine, 120mg a day. I believe Allodynia can be a symptom of FM. Other problems are constant tiredness, headache most of the time, pain in neck and shoulders, pain in lower back. My calf muscles seize up which makes me walk like a duck! Pain in my hands and wrists. Painful ankles, indescribable pain around my side from chest to back and a dull ache in my chest right side. Lots of stabbing pains. This morning when I got out of bed I was shaking and had to hang on to the bed for a few minutes because my legs felt as if they wouldn't hold me up. That passed and I was able to take my dog for a walk. I have spoken to two GPs on the telephone recently. The first said it is arthritis because I'm 74 and gave me some Nephopam tablets. The other said it didn't matter whether it is arthritis or FM there's no treatment for either. Over the years Ive been told that its all in my head, that Im not active enough and that the pain in my head, neck and shoulders is down to migraine which I had when I was younger. Sorry to go on so much. I just thought I'd ask the experts; you who have FM and experience it first hand what you think.
Thank you for reading. Jan xx

Hi Gran Jan, You may have fibromyalgia, but there's no way to be sure unless you want to go through all of the tests necessary to rule out all the other things it could be. The doctor who told you there is no treatment for arthritis or FM is completely wrong. If he said there was no CURE, that is correct but there are many things you can do to treat and possibly improve both of those conditions. It is possible that you have both, as well.

As far as FM goes, you are here on a forum with a lot of people who have been told things like what'
s been told to you...in your head and so on. Just ignore all that. You know what is real. Do the things that can help you (there's a post of advice pinned at the top of the General forum) and find out what works for you to alleviate some of your pain or make it more manageable. If you have been reading here, you have heard a lot of people way a lot of things helped them. If anything resonates with you, try it, and see what happens. If it does nothing try something else.

I am firmly of the belief, and this is substantiated in medical research, that getting enough physical and mental exercise is vitally important for everyone, and especially for people with FM. If you are living a sedentary lifestyle, do your best to incorporate some exercise into your daily life. If you are walking the dog every day that is good, but try to make it a longer walk or else add another activity.
And remember you are not alone, and that we are here to help.

Hi sunkacola. I've read many of your posts, always good advice given with common sense, I thank you for that. I did have all the tests 5 years ago and nothing showed up. I do walk for around an hour and a half everyday and now the pools are open again I shall be swimming a couple of times a week. I am a crafter and design and make my own greetings cards which I really enjoy. I do think I need to adjust my diet and I'm experimenting with that currently.
Thank you for your advice and for taking the time to reply. It's great to know that there are others in the same situation.
Jan xx

Hi sunkacola. I've read many of your posts, always good advice given with common sense, I thank you for that. I did have all the tests 5 years ago and nothing showed up. I do walk for around an hour and a half everyday and now the pools are open again I shall be swimming a couple of times a week. I am a crafter and design and make my own greetings cards which I really enjoy. I do think I need to adjust my diet and I'm experimenting with that currently.
Thank you for your advice and for taking the time to reply. It's great to know that there are others in the same situation.
Jan xx

OOps.
Don't know why that posted too soon.
Just want to say you are very welcome and I am glad to know that my posts help people, since that is my only desire in being here.
Working with your diet is always a good idea, and something you can do on your own and at your own pace. Remember to try only one thing at a time and give it at least 2 weeks or even a month because less time than that won't really tell you if it is working or not.

Sounds as if you are doing really well with exercise, so good for you! It's not easy for us who have chronic pain. But I and many others have found that exercise is an important key to managing FM. Swimming, I hear, is one of the best things you can do. Wishing you the best of luck and all the support you need. :)

Thank you so much. I appreciate your help and advice. Xx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back