Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
01/1992
Country
US
State
Tx
I have been reading about a new Fibromyalgia blood test that claims to be 99% accurate in diagnosing FM and ruling out other conditions. Has anyone read about it or talked to their doctor about it? Has anyone had this test done yet? If so, what are your thoughts? I am seriously considering having this blood test done as a 'second opinion', since I was diagnosed in the early to mid-90s. You can google FM test and read about this. The test looks for protein molecules in the blood called chemokines and cytokines, which are produced by white blood cells. FM patients have few chemokines and cytokines in their blood and as a result have weaker immune systems than normal patients, according to the study I have read. You can also go to the National Fibromyalgia and Chronic Pain Association website to read about the study.

I would love to hear from anyone about this.

Have a great weekend!

I just went to the website, can't find the test you are talking about. Thanks for point out the website, hadn't heard of the org, but I like the section with "alternative therapies" trials.

Sureimsore, you might try the fibromyalgia blood test.

Also, Dr. Bruce Gillis, founder and CEO of EpicGenetics, a bioresearch company based in Santa Monica, CA is the creator of the blood test.

I read up on the FM/a test, saddy it is still a bit controversial so my insurance looks for any reason not to pay for something. They have also have a MRI that I can not remember if they stimulate the tender points or something along those lines if fibro patients to non fibro patients. I think it's all still considered in its infant state. It would be great for people that are just starting to show signs.

I've heard it's very exspensive ,and only in the USA .

I read that there was one study published, then they went on to offer the test commercially. Since the original study only involved a few hundred patients and controls there were a lot of questions about how valid it was. I seem to remember there were several questions about methodology too.

It sounds like they just did a larger scale study that confirms their findings, though. If they really have a blood test that's as good as they say, that might help researchers figure out more about what causes this condition.

I'm not sure if this works for finro, but I had a blood test that showed my ANA is high. I will be checked soon with a professsional. High Ana can be Lupus. :(

@Moe, actually, I don't think the ANA offers much diagnostically, so please don't be upset thinking lupus! I was reading recently that you can have false-positives on the ANA, in fact many women do. ANA is the first step, if that comes up positive, then they will test for the usual suspects (lupus, sjornens, RA) and other anti-bodies if you have been on medications. Now me, I've had 2 positive ANA's back to back, so the 2nd round of testing included a titer count. That came up within normal range, which MAY mean those were false positives on the ANA itself (sorry, know that must sound confusing). Now, my doctor is gone, so I have to start with a new one, but previous testing also showed a recent EBV, so maybe that caused the positive, IDK. So don't despair thinking the worst yet!

We haven't done that test. However, we did do the 23andMe genetic test, and ran reports for methylation and detox with the 23andme data through other sites like LiveWello, and got a lot of good tips of things to do from googling those results, particularly from discussions on Phoenix Rising. We did confirm, from those tests, that my daughter has MTHFR, which is particularly common in people with Fibro, and identified a genetic mutation with processing vitamin A (I suspected from carrot cravings, and did some googling and searching raw genetic data to find this one), and identified a lot of problems in Detox. These things are definitely helping. We added a supplement for 5-MTHF (an alternative to folic acid), added NAC detox regulators, and extra vitamin A, and all of that has helped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back