Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
08/2015
Country
US
State
ma
Anyone out there love hiking/kayaking/backpacking etc?

I used to love to be outdoors and very active until I started having health problems at 15. Now, I am 21 and for years have had a sense of identity loss because I have been unable or afraid to do what I once did weekly. I'm trying to get back into it all. But so far I can manage only level short hikes. I'm trying to lift again too, in hopes of gaining back some strength and endurance (although it causes some pain).

If anyone has any tips for doing these sorts of activities with fibromyalgia or how to prepare for setbacks? Or if anyone just wants to discuss these hobbies, I'd love to!

Hi,
I hate to see how young you are and allready struggling with Fibro. Keep trying to do what you love it helps us stay positive and gives us something to look forward to! I love to knit and I'm trying to learn to crochet, so far I have only made coasters. My latest obsession is the grown up coloring books. You can get them at craft stores. I can finish one and get that immediate satisfaction. What kind of hobbies do you have?
Sylvia

Hi Sylvia, thank you for the reply.

I've heard about the coloring books and think I might give that a try! Right now, I'm trying to find different ways to be involved with my interests. I'm thinking of starting a blog where I take scientific articles and turn them into popular articles, or something you may see in a magazine (I'm hoping to go into marine science). I also thought about learning to draw. The only thing I've really been doing relatively consistently though is reading (although now it is mostly health books) and practicing the piano, which I used to play as a kid.

My roommate knits, I'll have to ask her to teach me!

-olivia

Ob2016,
I happen to love hiking and camping. I was unable to even try these things while caring for my mom, but this Spring, I hope to get out and do things with friends. The key is doing whatever with friends, who might help set up your tent or take shorter hikes, or help with camp chores. Those that know your limits and will adapt to helping so that you can enjoy the outing.
I used to do things alone but have found it more fun with friends, plus it being more safe. The wonderful great outdoors is a nice place to be but a accident by yourself is never a good thing. Us with fibro have more problems due to weakness and balance problems, as well as, a host of other things. Good sharing with you. :)

I love hiking and being outdoors too! It's probably what I miss most. I try to get out when I'm having a good day. I have a big backyard with woods and creek behind, so even getting out there helps sometimes. When I hike I use hiking sticks and make sure I always have water and a protein snack with me - and never alone. I have lots of bird feeders in my yard and enjoy watching all the different birds - and the deer- that come for their meals. The sun and the fresh air is good for us, so even a little time out is good! I hope you find a way to get back to your outdoorsy fun.

I too miss the outdoors the most. I would never beable to hike but a nice walk in the countyside oooh i miss doing that so much.

I have a large garden in a woodland setting with birds too and if the sun is out i love to potter. I haven't been able to for the last 8 months but pray one day to be able to again.

Good Luck to everyone in doing and enjoying as much as they can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back