Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
02/2006
Country
US
State
IN
I've noticed that when talking to someone either in person or on the phone I sometimes forget what I'm trying to say. I get so frustrated with it.
Sometimes I'm fine and remember what I'm trying to say, but there have been several times I totally space it and can't come up with the right words or forget what something is called and usually it's something very simple.
Talk about frustration...

Yes, so frustrating and embarrassing. Unfortunately I don't think there is anything that you can do to help. Its just one of those annoying fibroisms.

I had a family member accuse me of being on drugs because of it. They just don't understand how much fms affects a person.

yep, I know how you feel.

I've noticed that when talking to someone either in person or on the phone I sometimes forget what I'm trying to say. I get so frustrated with it.
Sometimes I'm fine and remember what I'm trying to say, but there have been several times I totally space it and can't come up with the right words or forget what something is called and usually it's something very simple.
I was getting worried about my memory I would go in kitchen forget what it was for it happens a lot it’s very frustrating x

I get the same way. I either can't "find" the words or I actually have trouble speaking (Stuttering or stammering). It's frustrating as well as scary and embarrassing at times. Around the time of my diagnosis I was working as a Vet Tech (18 years) and I knew pain was a Fibro "thing" but I wasn't aware that losing your words was and at first I went along with my coworkers kidding me about it then it started to really worry me .....especially when I was releasing patients and it would happen, so I called my doctor and they assured me I didn't have early onset dementia or anything of the like that is was just the Fibro (I was told they get the dementia/Alsheimers question alot). Everyday it seems we learn something new from this disease either from experience or from new findings. I worry sometimes if they just use Fibromyalgia as a blanket because its the easy thing to do.

I thought that at first that it was just a way to get me out of the office. I went to doctors in a bigger city and was diagnosed more then once with fibro.
Sometimes I just give up and change the subject if I can't remember what I'm trying to say,but then figure it out a few hours or days later and it will bother me until I figure it out.
I used to play drums and had to give that up. My memory is gone. 8 years ago I could play fine but it's progressed since then and it doesn't sound so good. I still have a set in the basement in case I get the urge to make some noise.

I get the same way. I either can't "find" the words or I actually have trouble speaking (Stuttering or stammering). It's frustrating as well as scary and embarrassing at times. Around the time of my diagnosis I was working as a Vet Tech (18 years) and I knew pain was a Fibro "thing" but I wasn't aware that losing your words was and at first I went along with my coworkers kidding me about it then it started to really worry me .....especially when I was releasing patients and it would happen, so I called my doctor and they assured me I didn't have early onset dementia or anything of the like that is was just the Fibro (I was told they get the dementia/Alsheimers question alot). Everyday it seems we learn something new from this disease either from experience or from new findings. I worry sometimes if they just use Fibromyalgia as a blanket because its the easy thing to do.
It’s horrible the forgetfulness but I know it’s not only me even my eyes goes blurry just trying to keep strong x

I also have the same symptoms and the same feelings about forgetfulness. Sometimes,especially when I m really tired I can't remember what I want to say or which is the word I want to use. I also stammer a lot. It's annoying and embarrassing and I m a teacher so you can understand the frustration...I used to play the clarinet and both because of stiffness and lack of memory I gave it up...I started solving crosswords and sudoku though. I think it helps because you can do them without stress. I m a word lover and to tell you the truth I can't easily deal with this when it happens. I had no idea that fibro would cause this difficulty. I was panicked until I searched more about fibro symptoms and was informed about "fibro fog" which generally is referred to all the symptoms you ve mentioned and experience. You need not to quit efforts and even if it s embarrassing not to quit discussions-especially with people who are aware of your situation!

Hi, I am new here and I too have problems with remembering words. It is very frustrating and to me it is one of the most annoying symptoms. Sometimes the words are very simple and I know they are there in my head but just can't be retrieved. At times it is easier to avoid having conversations with people. It can be very embarrassing.

Hi, Eff2013!
I agree that it is one of the most annoying symptoms! I experience this several times, especially when I m tired, nervous or during flare ups. Everything is on the tip of my tongue but when it comes to saying the proper word, the latter has disappeared and it can't be brought up again; I usually describe the simplest definition or a word with more details or even say a similar-sound one and less times a similar-meaning one...
I feel extremely frustrated since I am a teacher and you can imagine how difficult is to cope with this situation, I feel embarrassed because I can't even think about being a teacher who can't find the words... However, I have stopped feeling embarrassed when I talk with friends of mine who know about my situation-they're my true friends,of course!
I have started doing crosswords recently and I have seen slight improvement. Also, reading favourite books and stories or newspaper articles helps a lot, too. I hope those help you, too!

This happens to me all the time also I go into a room and forget what I went in for and sometimes forget I have food in the oven until I smell it burning

Hi, Fibro mum of 2!
Oh, my God, how many times I have burnt food that I had started cooking just a few minutes before I forgot it! Or standing in front of the fridge, a cupboard or a wardrore thining about what I need to do...
Fibro mum of 2, I would like to ask a few questions if I may I. I 'm 31 and my husband and I want to try to get pregnant. My rheumatologist had told me not to try some time ago 'cause she wanted me to cope with the fact that I have FM and check how treatment responds first. But both my rheumatologist and gynaecologist have now told me that I can start trying the next spring, summer to get pregnant taking into consideration every aspect of FM, such as extreme fatigue, unmanageable pain and generally all the symptoms of FM; they worry most about after - pregnancy period rather than before or during this time. I also need to reduce gradually and eventually stop medication, sth like detoxify by body from any substances, therefore, I have to keep in mind that I 'd be in pain without any treatment...
I would like to ask you if you've been diagnosed before or after getting pregnant with FM and if so, how did you experience this pregnancy period?
I am aware of the fact that it would be difficult and other people's help is going to be needed but I 'm just asking about any experience someone may have during or right after pregnancy considering the symptoms of FM. Is there sth that I should be really careful with? Or sth that is of highest importance?
Unfortunately, here in my country FM isn't widely - known not even by doctor communities and I 'm just looking for answers because I want to be a mom myself yet I have to be down - to - earth regarding pregnancy - motherhood and FM consequences and challenges.
I would like to help you with anything I can as well,thus feel free to aks me anything you may want. Thank you in advance and even though we 're far away I would like to "send" my positive vibes and my sympathy with your FM, too!

I experience this too quite often. I think for me some is age LOL But I too do word finds and crosswords and I love to read. I find it more frustrating than embarrassing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back