Reason
Undiagnosed
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
TN
Has anyone figured out a trick to dealing with the ice cold appendages??? My feet, hands and nose get so cold that they hurt. I’ve knit socks and gloves, I’m constantly under blankets, heating pads, etc. I’ve had ultrasounds done of my legs to make sure I didn’t have a circulation problem. I’ve tried regular massage, stretching- they’re just cold and pale, even in summer. The winter months are so excruciating, I whine about wanting to move to the Caribbean every year. Does anyone have something that has worked for them?

One thing I have found helps me is to buy cashmere gloves with no fingertips for using the computer in the winter. I only get the same problem you have in my hands, but those gloves seem to help. I found them on the internet.

I do get cold in the winter, though. I find that eating a high protein meal always warms me up - I can actually feel the calories being burned in my body and the heat diffusing. Spicy food like Mexican or Indian food is good for that, too.

Other than that I guess i don't have any ideas, sorry. When the coldness is really sort of coming from within rather than due to ambient temperature, there's only so much you can do.

Thick socks, thick clothes, bonnet, and warm to hot soup do the trick for me. Also, if it's daylight, I make sure I get sunlight.

Thanks for these posts.

I've struggled with freezing hands etc but I've never seen any info about appendages, other than mention of Fibro patients 'often have no internal thermostat', which I kinda know seeing as my near-constant companion is a hot water bottle, whatever the season,
so am grateful to know that it's just yet another Fibro symptom & not just me.

Another thing is I always seem to have the wrong clothes on.

That is when I've actually decided what clothes to put on, as my indecisiveness usually means several changes before I exit the bedroom door & yet if/when I venture outside, I'm either freezing as misjudged the temperature so I needed warmer clothing & more layers,
or am over-heating due to my trusty winter/all year round vest & having one of my 'turns'.

Doctors - what doctors?
Here in England they've all gone to ground & it would be easier to sit & have a chat the Queen than a doctor.

Having said that, a very dear, very wise elderly lady once said to me...

"Never trust doctors with matters of health."

And I reckon she was spot on.

Ir's dark & overcast here this morning & 'showers' forecast, showers we've had every day now for weeks that are Biblical deluges,
so I'll be carting about my industrial strength umbrella again, even if is still dripping wet from yesterday, as I know from vast experience that if I get wet I'll get a chill, which will turn into a heavy cold, which will then turn into a nasty Chest Infection which will last weeks.

Which, of course, I mistake for Covid (yet again) & start rewriting my Will (yet again).
Which to be fair doesn't have much detail in it, except give everything nobody wants (which is likely everything), to Oxfam Charity Shop etc, as just about everything I own came from there anyway & the Tescos Vouchers are hidden at the back of the kitchen drawer.

Sorry, I've digressed, I do it all the time, so I reckon it's likely another Fibro symptom.

In short, since I got Fibro the weather has become my enemy, so if I'm to go outside I must prepare for every conceivable eventuality,
& that includes the likes of snowshoes.

Must dash, still in my dressing gown so I have to start clothes changing procedures & I may be some time...

Last edited:
PS: I use fake tan on my pasty white legs, which makes me feel much better about them.

Except you can't see my legs for my more or less permanent over-the-knee woolly socks & anyway, I wear long skirts
but I reckon anything, no matter how small, that makes us feel better about ourselves or just better, is a good thing.

Hence I ate my entire chocolate stash last week but it was raining & I was trapped indoors.
Well, that's my excuse & I'm sticking to it.

Do get checked for Reynauds Syndrome - although you would notice a significant change of colour to your toes and fingers with RS. I have RS, but also get freezing cold appendages (separate to the RS) whenever I have a an energy crash. I find wrapping up in my electric blanket helps a lot, especially toes and body.

Has anyone figured out a trick to dealing with the ice cold appendages??? My feet, hands and nose get so cold that they hurt. I’ve knit socks and gloves, I’m constantly under blankets, heating pads, etc. I’ve had ultrasounds done of my legs to make sure I didn’t have a circulation problem. I’ve tried regular massage, stretching- they’re just cold and pale, even in summer. The winter months are so excruciating, I whine about wanting to move to the Caribbean every year. Does anyone have something that has worked for them?
Nose 👃!!!! 🙌 finally someone else talks about their frozen nose ! I sit and seriously consider making some kind of nose warmer. So thank you, no we are not alone ! Do check out raynauds syndrome. Not that I’m a doctor 😆 but I live constantly in fear of the cold. All the best

I like the 'Nose Cosy' idea.

Once upon a time when everyone used tea-pots, there were tea-pot Cosies & I seem to remember seeing 'Egg Cosies' that were used to keep boiled eggs warm, they might just be the right size but am not sure how one would keep them on.

I also like the cashmere fingerless gloves idea & will see if I can find them on the internet
but as I said, as far as warming up generally goes, hot water bottle works well for me.

Hi Paintedfox, You might be considered cold in Chinese medicine. I have been dealing with that myself and was told to not eat/drink cold things, no raw foods and to eat warm foods. Also I learned that Bengal Spice tea, ginger tea and beef bone broth are helpful. I really like the Bengal Spice tea an added plus (strong cinnamon tea). Maybe a Chinese medicine doctor might help.

I have this too. If you get any suggestions I would love to know. :unsure:

I separate 3 issues here:
1) Raynaud for feet and hands.
2) Cold intolerance generally.
3) warming (as in Chinese medicine).

1) I wear 3-5 pairs of socks most of the year, unless it's really hot. And it's got much more due to fibro (before 1-3). They are organic cotton, with wool on the outside since I don't tolerate synthetics. I don't know if it's really Raynaud, altho it's one of my 30 diagnoses, and don't care. Warm feet is important for me not getting a sore throat, cold etc.
2) When my fibro full flare started up, my tolerance for the cold decreased considerably. I'd always got layers of clothing, and have increased that, so I can take them on off quickly, and I sometimes do so every few minutes. I wear 2 loop scarves much of the year, plus a 3rd in winter, 2 hoodies in varying thicknesses, woolen gloves half the year. Plastic "Rain legs" over the thighs are a quick one inside and out for cycling, but also just keeping (dry &) warm additionally. Therapy that generally helped me a lot was TCM/acupressure using the points that "activate the inner cooking pot". She only needed to do it once. Since then I can be outside longer and it doesn't creep into my limbs so meanly. So that's where TCM helped me. But...
3) none of the 'Chinese' suggestions help me as my tongue, stomach and gut don't tolerate any warm or spicy foods at all... o_O
Despite or because of all this, very short cold showers (1-2') and cryotherapy (3') are mainstays of my therapy and help me for energy, Ache, exhaustibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back