Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
01/2013
Country
US
State
PA
I went to see my dad and his wife yesterday and I'm frustrated again. I have been diagnosed with fibromyalgia for over two years now. I was talking to my dad about how bad of a week it has been, and my step mom walks in my room and says, "since when do you have fibromyalgia?" I remember clearly the day I sat down and told both of them. My stepmom just laughed at me and told me I couldn't possibly have fibromyalgia. She accused my doctor of not knowing what she was doing. I remember this day so clearly because it just about sums up the way most people in my life see this disease. Here I am living in a world of pain everyday, and she has the nerve to laugh at me and tell me I'm not. I frustrates me to no end, because I am not making this up. Getting up every day is a battle for me. I cant focus on my job, or school, or anything that should be important to a 19 year old. I find myself staying at home when all of my friends are out enjoying their night. I just don't understand how people can be so inconsiderate of others feelings. Anyways, end of rant, I just really needed to get this off my chest.

good venting. you need to do that. you should remember that she has no idea about what it is. there is no age limit on it. bring her here if she wants to learn about it. we live with it everyday and night. we all cant be wrong.

read my post what is fibromyalgia and sit them both down and use the clothes pin on them.

keep venting. we have many here your age. dont let her bring you more pain.

stay away from her. if you need,use the phone and talk to dad if he is supportive.

you can always ask for help here.

She sounds like a few ppl I no.
U can't help these ppl .maybe ask your dad to come visit u alone next time.

Fibromyalgia is not a real "mainstream" type illness but it might be someday if enough people get it.

The" well" population really have no reason to try and learn about it if it isn't bothering them. So they dont know anything about it but want to tell you that you cant have it either!

You are going to find most people do not know about this illness at all. i think that you can avoid her( but still be civil) and not talking to her about it just as Cmetryme wisely advises you.

Sadly, we are usually alone with this and that is why we gather at this forum so that we can talk about it and help each other to get through their problems.

I know having this has isolated me to some extent. As my illness gets worse, my circle of friends, intrests and just living life has gotten smaller and smaller.
frustration comes with the territory.

Thank you guys for the support. I have only found one person in my life who fully considers my limitations, and seems to understand. Everyone else, including my close family just have no idea how to handle it. I am so grateful to have found this forum because I have spent too many years dealing with people that have no way of knowing the effects this disease has had on my life. It feels really good to finally find people that do understand.

I have the same problem like your. My brother is a doctor. He think my pain just in my ****ing head. Damnn. My father told me to search for therapy
My mom told me i am lazy. I wish they understand fibro.

brahmatorry,

see my post under general discussions called what is fibromyalgia.
then get the family together and use the clothes pins on them. they will understand.

that post will also help you explain to them what it is. fibromyalgia is also called fibrosis. your doctor brother should know this.

dont let uneducated family tell you anything. if they do, ask them what research they have done and have them show it to you.

if you continue to let them do this to you, you will have increased pain. thats how it works.

Well we can always help the uneducated people of the world. You know the truth and thats all that matters. 😁

I went to see my dad and his wife yesterday and I'm frustrated again. I have been diagnosed with fibromyalgia for over two years now. I was talking to my dad about how bad of a week it has been, and my step mom walks in my room and says, "since when do you have fibromyalgia?" I remember clearly the day I sat down and told both of them. My stepmom just laughed at me and told me I couldn't possibly have fibromyalgia. She accused my doctor of not knowing what she was doing. I remember this day so clearly because it just about sums up the way most people in my life see this disease. Here I am living in a world of pain everyday, and she has the nerve to laugh at me and tell me I'm not. I frustrates me to no end, because I am not making this up. Getting up every day is a battle for me. I cant focus on my job, or school, or anything that should be important to a 19 year old. I find myself staying at home when all of my friends are out enjoying their night. I just don't understand how people can be so inconsiderate of others feelings. Anyways, end of rant, I just really needed to get this off my chest.
I have had people in my life "forget" that I have fibro. A doctor told me I looked too good and had a positive, happy disposition so I probably don't have it. I'd like to give him a kick. When you have fibro, it can become part of your every waking moment and even though there are people in this world that have it worse, you still feel like crap. It's difficult for someone who doesn't have it to understand the all encompassing effects this has on your life. Ignore the people who aren't supportive, they can be too wrapped up in their own issues or they aren't good listeners to begin with and their empathy quota is depleted.

Lemon moon ,fibromyalgia is a very worldwide illness , I think it's about 1in 20 ppl I was told. It's because it's so hard for them to find the course ppl think it's not real.show how sad we are as a race doesn't it.

yes it is a very sad state of affairs.

it seems like as our food supply and water become more contaminated with chemicals, we are getting sicker as a population. doctors are not trained to recognize these kinds of illnessess and the types of strange illness is growing.

No one seems to have any real answers, so we just medicate it and carry on as usual, except we cant carry on very well. No one understands unless they have experienced real serious illnesses. its kinda a club that only the sick can understand.

Until this conciousness serioously
changes, with a major overhaul to our medical system, i dont know that any of us can see a way out.

Our healthcare system is broken.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back