Undiagnosed
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
LA
Good day All,
i ve just been diagnosed with Fibro and the doctor prescribed me Gabapentin 100 mg.
has anyone had experience with this med? what you think.
did not start taking it yet. obv all meds have their collateral effect but got me curious that it says that if you are taking this med DO NOT stop without contacting your DOC. stopping it may cause collateral effects as well.
please let me know your experience with this med.

Hi, WhoDat83! Many years ago I took it at night for a couple of years for a ruptured disc that caused sciatica, I think it was 50mgs. It reduced the pain and helped me sleep, but morning hangover/grogginess was an issue. The brand name is Neurontin and because it can slow you down mentally has the nickname Morontin. The sister drug is Lyrica. I tried some samples and it had similar effects. I didn’t think I could drive safely while taking either one during the day, or do anything that required mental alertness. They intensify the effects of alcohol. I also gained weight, which is typical. Oh—it reduces menopausal hot flashes, too. I weaned myself off them without issue. Hope this helps!

The doses can go high up to 1800 mg for people with diabetic neuropathy so 100 Mg is a pretty low dose - one that you can wean off of if you don’t like it . I used to take 300 mg for low back pain and menopause hot flashes but I used to be on call at night for my work and I would sleep soundly with it but made me worry that I would miss a call so I quit with no problem - hope this was of help !

Bbg, thank you for your feedback. well..that s great given that i m the manager of my department and i have to be constantly focused :-/
Maxsmom, that actually help... still not sure if i want to start it or not but it s a relief to know that because of the low dosage it will not be an issue to opt out of it.

i m a 37 year old man just diagnosed with it. have all the symptoms described by everyone in these forums. what bother me the most is my neck and arms pain which i m trying to be a little active, eat better, massages and stretching. just wanted to understand if i really need to take a pill with more collateral effects than the benefits or i just have to cope with the pain as best as possible changing my lifestyle in everything i do.

Hi Whodat, I took it for a while but it was not all that effective for me and I moved on to better things. I think that warning would only apply if you had taken a high dosage for a long time. I just stopped taking it and had no effect at all.

To:
WhoDat83
My wife and i had moved to a place that is cold in winter and hot in the summer ( North Dakota). I have been going to a place that is a clinic.
I now have a new resident that i will be talking to on the phone. I also have a very wonderful nurse that helps me more than i can say.
Quit a few years ago i was put on Gabapentin @ 300 mg.. I now take 1 times a day. This is to help ease the pain. Seance this is a control
substance i have found this can put me to sleep. I fell this works for me. I would go to 1 times per day. You can go up if needed to.
I hope this helps you out some. Let us know how everything is doing.

Dbg, the side effects you mention are why I cannot take any of those nerve pain meds. I've tried them all and are now on my medication allergy list. I cannot take NSAIDs because I'm on a blood thinner. Tylenol doesn't do anything and I can't take a narcotic regulary, so I'm left with nothing.

ALL,
from what i hear from you guys, it looks like this meds dont do much beside making doc richer. some of them work easing the pain a little but everybody has a different body and has to find the right one. until than you have to keep trying new once. is that correct?
i did not take the gabapentin yet. it is sitting on my kitchen counter. i may try it once or twice, at night, and see how it goes but it looks like i will not put myself on it everyday.
i will just have to keep adapting my life to my body daily needs like excercise, walking, wearing sleaves on my elbows when i need to, massages, supplements, sleep as much as i can etc etc..
As i said i m fairly new with FB so what i just said it may be not true or not your story. in that case please keep giving me suggestion. and thank you for answering

I have been on Gabapentin twice, once for seizures and once for occipital neuralgia. It's definitely dulling and I had a huge problem with short-term memory when I was on it. It did, though, help with the pain. I took it during a very painful period then stopped. Pain came back, but not for a long time.

I have been on Gabapentin twice, once for seizures and once for occipital neuralgia. It's definitely dulling and I had a huge problem with short-term memory when I was on it. It did, though, help with the pain. I took it during a very painful period then stopped. Pain came back, but not for a long time.
Rhyl,
thank you. how many times a day did u take it and for how long? was it 100mg?

Rhyl,
thank you. how many times a day did u take it and for how long? was it 100mg?

I was on 300mg at night. We reduced it gradually to 100mg, but I still had issues with it.

I tried it for a while and played around with the dosage to see if it would help my pain which it never really did and only seemed to make my brain fog worse. I started with 100mg but increased the dosage to see if it would help. I think I was taking it mostly at night even though my doctor said I could take it during the day as well. I don't remember it being hard to stop taking, I just stopped one day after being frustrated that it wasn't helping like it should.

Rhyl
Hi. I was to take 300mg of Gabapentin 3 times a day. I only took 1 time a day. Every body is different
on using the medication. I was going to take 100mg only if the 300mg was to strong for me. As it stands
I will be on the 300mg for a very long time. If the Gabapentin is to strong for you please let your doctor know.
There might be something better out there. I hope everything works out for you. Thank you and keep in touch.
Gary S.

Back