Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
01/2008
Country
UK
State
anywhere
Hi i am just about to start gabapentin. For anyone who has taken or is taking this how long before the pain improves and once taking it do you get obvious improvement after each dose or do you just take regular doses and hope for just generally reduced pain.

Thanks

Hi Willow,
I take Gabapentin. I take 300mg twice a day. Normally takes 4weeks for some pain relief. I do find it helpful. I wouldn't say it gets rid of pain completely but does reduce it significantly for me. Hope this helps answer your question.

I take 300 morning 300 night. Sometimes when I need to 100 more.yes it helps
It takes a few days to work,but it does help,it does not stop my stiffness.it will make u sleepy.so maybe start it at night.does it work after every dose well yes.my dr told me this drug can be up to very very high doses.im hoping I never find out .

I take 600mg 5 times a day. I have found that taking Xanax or klonopin with it really helps. Especially at night. The better your sleep, the better u will feel. U may need to have adjustment for doses

Any really noticeable side affects guys.and does it help both the deep throbbing stabbing pains as well as burning pains ...i have both and my quality of life is awful.....thanks so much for your replies..it gives me hope even though i know we are all different. :)

Glad it helps you.

Thanks for starting this thread willow and to everyone for their advice. This was suggested at my last rheumatology appointment but I shrugged it off as I thought I was better lol. A few days later and I was back to my normal, pain every day etc. I'm definitely interested in other people's thoughts before I give it a try.

I'm interested in the side affects as well. My Dr is talking about putting me on this after determining how I respond to Cymbalta. I have Fibro and last week diagnosed with CF. I'm drug sensitive so I'm skeptical about going on it. As it is I'm struggling with Cymbalta.

I have taken this medication for years and it does help to tone down the pain depending on what dose you take. I take 900 mg in the morning with two migraine relief caplets (acetaminophen & aspirin) each pill being 250 mg. This helps the other medication kind of like a kick start but helps relieve my pain long enough for me to work three hours a day. If you need more during the day just use a acetaminophen caplet without the aspirin. Too much aspirin can make it hard to stop a cut from bleeding.

I can't say I have any side effects.just feel sleepy if I need to take more.

I'm much the same as Forget me knot. I just get tired if I take more although my rheumotologist recently told me Effexor makes you drowsy and tired. She has given me 20mg of seratonin to take to boost energy. 4 weeks later seems to be working will wait to see what happens over longer period.:)

Sorry Forgetmenot. Fog brain really bad with names. Please forgive.:):cool:

oh wow i didnt know you could take seratonin alone for energy...what is the drug called Janette..glad its helping you!

Does it help all types of pain ...burning and achy sharp pain...anyone?

thanks for all comments

Beware that gabapentin does have caffeine and a withdrawal from gabapentin can cause seizures

Any medication you take has it's side effects. Most prescription drugs when taken in high doses should be back off slowly to avoid withdrawal symptoms. As for Gabapentin it is also used to prevent seizures, as well as, for pain medication. It is always wise to contact your doctor if you need to stop taking any medication to get instructions on how best to back off and stop taking the medication.

Sorry Willow it has taken a while to get back to you. I knew I was seeing the rheumatologist today and wanted to check that what I said was correct. I would hate to give advice that harmed someone. So I am on a tablet called Celapram that is the seratoin. She has given this to me not just for energy with Effexor but also because I take Naproxen 550mg twice a day. I have had high blood pressure since I was 18 yrs old it is genetic and this medication is unsuitable for me longterm. When she tried me on Inocid but I got major side effects from this. She then put me on Plaquenil but that didn't stop the inflammation so she went back to Naproxen which worked when I first saw her. To get back to the reason she wants to use the seratoin is to balance with the Plaquenil and get me off the Naproxen altogether. Still early days but in these 4 weeks I have to increase the Celapram and decrease the Naproxen it will be interesting to see the next lot of blood tests. I hope this makes sense. I know it's alot to explain but I tried to make it as clear as I understand it. The Gabapentin can make you drowsy but this is not the reason I am given the Celapram or seratoin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back