Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
02/2020
Country
CA
State
AB
I knew I was gaining weight in the last few months (especially since I was diagnosed in January) but today i measured myself and was shocked. Middle Age spread is one thing, but this FB and constant fatigue really don't help. And though I'm used to being inside the house a lot due to pain, this isolating at home is getting to me and I find it hard to motivate myself to exercise or watch what I'm eating. There's been a lot of comfort food lately - especially potatoes and banana bread ! Anyone else feeling the same way or noticing the weight adding up?

I can definitely relate to how you are feeling. I have found myself craving chips and chocolate and so on. I think it's understandable in the current world conditions. I am not gaining any weight because I have the opposite problem from you - I am too thin and cannot ever seem to gain weight. But I am not getting anywhere near enough exercise, and that's really a problem. I am not able to go hiking due to not being able to maintain any distance on a narrow mountain path, and am unable to motivate myself to exercise at home, which I know I need to do. This is a challenging time, even for those of us who are fortunate enough to have a place to be and the ability to protect ourselves, which many millions of people do not. I know the best thing is to take good care of our physical and mental health, and at times that is not easy to do. If we don't it will only make it worse, of course....

Thanks for your words, Sunkacola - it's true. My daughter said much the same to me last night. Being kind to yourself is important. Sorry you can't go hiking - the pathways here are quite active, but there is lots of room for people to pass and keep safe, where I live, so it's not an issue right here in this suburb, so far. I do need to get on with my exercise routine, but so far haven't made it to my stationary bike - but I will - eventually!

I can sympathise. I have tried to get out once a day to go for a walk. Sometimes it's not very far but at least I feel that I have made the effort which helps me to feel more positive about myself.

I knew I was gaining weight in the last few months (especially since I was diagnosed in January) but today i measured myself and was shocked. Middle Age spread is one thing, but this FB and constant fatigue really don't help. And though I'm used to being inside the house a lot due to pain, this isolating at home is getting to me and I find it hard to motivate myself to exercise or watch what I'm eating. There's been a lot of comfort food lately - especially potatoes and banana bread ! Anyone else feeling the same way or noticing the weight adding up?
Exactly! I could have written this myself. I feel like crap and have gained a huge amount of weight. Now that I am not allowed to be out and about I want to! Comfort food has become my best friend 😕

Exactly! I could have written this myself. I feel like crap and have gained a huge amount of weight. Now that I am not allowed to be out and about I want to! Comfort food has become my best friend 😕
Liz, is there something else you can do that is comforting which will not be so bad for your health? Maybe watching movies (without snacking), or finding really healthy snacks that also would be comforting? If you go online, you can search for "healthy low calorie comfort food" or something like that, and find probably a bunch of things that people have just recently posted, because everyone is seeking some kind of comfort these days. I know you know that eating too much and gaining weight only makes things worse....you said you are feeling like crap, and that will only get worse if you continue. I hope you can figure out a way to do things differently. Many places are having online exercise classes, some for free, and even nutritional coaching free as well. I really encourage you to take advantage of the assistance that is out there, and treat yourself better. You are worthy of being healthy and you can make choices that will help you to feel better and be healthier. We are here for you to cheer you on all the way.

Hi - just an update - I managed to get on my stationary bike two days ago and today, so I am on a roll again. And now with the weather nicer, I've even done a bit of pruning and clean up in the garden. So I think the worst of the doldrums is behind me. Thanks for the support and the kind comments. Sometimes you just have to make yourself get up and do something :)

Hi - just an update - I managed to get on my stationary bike two days ago and today, so I am on a roll again. And now with the weather nicer, I've even done a bit of pruning and clean up in the garden. So I think the worst of the doldrums is behind me. Thanks for the support and the kind comments. Sometimes you just have to make yourself get up and do something :)

I want to say, Good For You longtimer! It is true that sometimes you just have to make yourself do something.
It is well worth it if you do because not doing something that needs to be done, whether it is a chore or eating healthy food, or getting some exercise is guaranteed to make you feel worse.

It's not easy. that is exactly why you will feel better about yourself if you do it!
I find that if I can make myself do the right things most days (eat healthy food, get some exercise, accomplish at least two or three things that need to be done), especially while in this terrible pandemic time, then I can allow myself one or two days a week to be a couch potato and do nothing but read a novel or watch movies all day long.

Doing that allows me to feel as though I am not trying always to live up to a high standard, and keeps me from feeling as though I am under the thumb of an internal dictator. That helps. And at the same time, I am at least most days not succumbing to inertia which will make me feel worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back