Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
05/2006
Country
US
State
Tennessee
Do any of you gain weight on Gabapentin? (neurontin) I have gained since taking it regularly for my pain.

Hi Susan, I never noticed gaining weight while on that med, but I have heard that a rapid weight gain is a very common side effect of that medication. Of course not everyone on it experiences it, but you know how everyone is different and react different to each medication. We are all different. This is why I am so afraid of taking meds, they all come with side effects, but some are really nasty!

This is something terrible really, meds that make you gain weight is something that no one needs. Aren't there alternatives to those meds?

I am greatfull I never gained weight while on this drug, but it is one of the side effects, different people react differently to the side efects, that is the problem with normal tablets, that is why sometimes I settle for alternative medicine.

I have been on it for years without weight gain...BUT, I have gained weight because I turn to comfort foods when I am feeling poorly...I think I eat more trying to get rid of the fatigue..but my body does not need more calories.

I agree that no one needs this. I had lost 70 pounds, and then after being on this regularly I would always feel hungry. Needless to say what happened then.

Meds making you gain weight is THE WORST. Especially because the weight gain causes other problems or exacerbates the ones you've already got. I'm so sorry...no advice, but plenty of aggravation on your behalf.

I see my rhuematologist Oct 1 so I am going to bring this up to him, and see what he says. When I go one day off of it, I start feeling my legs hurting with a nerve type pain, and my muscles hurt worse. I also start having painful zapping in my head that hits all of a sudden. I will ask what could be a good alternative. There may not be one. I know one thing, I am on so many meds it's pitiful. Neurontin, effexor, omeprazole, aspirin, levothyroxine, pilocarine, modafinal, plaquenil, vitamin D3, fish oil, niacin, and a couple for allergies. Some of these I have to take twice or three times per day. With all of this I shouldn't even have to eat. lol....

Thanks all for your comments. They are very helpful and supportive.

I have gained weight too. Almost 8 lbs in one month. But I quit smoking just prior to being diagnosed. So I've chalked it up to that, but recently after my last Dr. App and weight continuing to spike, I'm beginning to wonder. I'm going to keep a food journal and and weigh myself which I hate to do, weekly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back