Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
01/2008
Country
UK
State
anywhere
I'm just wondering does anyone else have family members with fibro...CFS or ME.

I have often read that it is hereditary even though it may take a trigger or several to switch on the overload on our minds and bodies that cause this disease,..and why more trauma can change it from mild to moderate or severe.

My dad was diagnosed with what was originally called post viral fatigue in the 1970's and later told ME (Myalgic Encephalomyelitis). He was 46 when he collapsed and never properly recovered and was initially in hospital for 2 or 3 months under investigation.

Mine came age 46/47 after long period of very high stress and finally a fall onto hard concrete.

My grandmother on the same side had rheumatism...now known to be old fashioned name for unexplained muscle pain....and never recovered from a fall and broken leg...her pain spread just like mine did how weird is all this.

I never knew about the genetic link or ever thought it would happen to me as i was completely healthy ..no pain at all.

Anyone else have similar family history?

Last edited:
Not that I know of in my family, but it's a small sample size :) I do believe it can be found in genetics and therefore would lend itself to being hereditary.

I'm pretty sure my mother had undiagnosed fibromyalgia. She was diabetic, so most of her symptoms were blamed on that, but she had a very hard time walking even short distances, and always seemed to be in pain.

anyone else with a parent grandparent, aunt or uncle or sibling?

None of my family are 'fortunate' enough to 'enjoy' these 'lovely' conditions. (FN, CFS) Thank goodness. Guess I'm taking one for the team ;)

I have a huge extended family, and I'm the only one with Fibro or anything like it.

well that seems to disprove that fact..i have read many times its genetic with 50% chance of passing it on.

"Increasing evidence supports a strong genetic component to fibromyalgia. Siblings, parents, and children of a person with fibromyalgia are eight times more likely to have fibromyalgia than those who have no relatives with the condition. There are several genes that have been suspected to play a role in fibromyalgia." (Jul 18, 2016)

With the difficulties patients experience with diagnoses, it's quite possible the genetic link is overlooked. As I said earlier, I believe my mother had it, but it was attributed to other factors. I've had it for years, but thought it was arthritis, combined with menopause and just generally getting old.

Thanks peeps...i hope maybe a few more people pick up this thread....and maybe see if there is any more evidence from our little community.

Its really sad and harsh for generations ahead....it worries me for my child and i pray it doesnt get passed on from me.

I'm also grateful i didnt know it was an inherited disease and that 20 years ago when i was so healthy this illness was waiting for me!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back