Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
1/2019
Country
US
State
LA
Hi, I'm new to this forum but not necessarily to fibro. I was diagnosed just about a year ago after a long time of just dealing with the symptoms, not knowing where they came from. My main question is this: can having a diagnosis make things worse? It seems to me that since my diagnosis, everything has ramped up. The pain, fatigue, anxiety, malaise, etc. Is it psychosomatic in that because I now have a reason for feeling bad, I feel worse? Or could it have gotten this bad all along without a diagnosis and it was just a matter of time? I can't be sure alone, but if anyone has any ideas, I'd appreciate hearing them.

I look forward to utilizing this website to the fullest of its capacities. Help from anywhere is always appreciated, and a whole community of help may just be what I need. Thank you!

Having a diagnosis will not in and of itself make things worse. When I was diagnosed I actually felt better mentally and emotionally, because a) now I was being believed and knew what was going on, and b) now I could get medication I didn't get previously. It had no effect on my pain level or frequency.

No one can know why your symptoms seem worse now, as Fibro is very capricious, and unpredictable.
What I think (not that I know!) is happening with you is that for you the diagnosis is producing anxiety, and that stress is worsening your symptoms, as stress always will.

My best suggestion is to do everything you can to learn about Fibro, first off. Information is power.
Second, distract yourself from worrying when it the worry starts. Do something active or if you can't that day, read a good book.
Third, do something active every single day even if it's a really bad day. A walk around the block, or even just to the mailbox, or going up and down a flight of stairs, whatever you can do. Staying active and eating well are the best medicine and defense against Fibro.

I was diagnosed in 2018 and yes at the time it might have helped me some, knowing I wasn’t crazy.

My whole life I have been over sensitive to what seemed like everything and not just physical but smells, light and sound.

but now in 2020 it seems like to overall pain (stiffness and aches and pains) have gotten way worse... to the point of I cant sleep and I am moving around like I am 115 years old but I am only 46.

I am going to get retested for RA and OA my mom has both of these so I pray to the good lord I DONT have either Fibro is enough.

Interesting comments. I'm glad that I took a moment to join the forum. Flare ups can happen at anytime. I recently had a bad one, but I feel better now. I have a new doctor who definitely is more understanding and a nurse that actually has/had Fibromyalgia herself. (It can go into remission or pain levels can get very low 1 or 2.) These two members of my medical team encourage and listen to me along with others and friends, which I think is the best medicine of all.

The thing is one day it will be the best day you can remember then it turns on you without any warning signs and it is back with a vengeance. So I was talking with my doctor and said that I really can’t tell if this treatment is working. He said, well stopping the med will be the only way to find out. I thought about this for awhile trying to remember. The thing is I have had so many different symptoms that my mind is playing tricks with me. I have been through so many med changes to get the right combo that it is hard to distinguish what it feels like to be normal. And yes before a diagnosis they said take some ibuprofen or some over the counter stuff and you will feel better in the morning. Then comes the diagnosis and then it is we can adjust your meds to see if we can get it to a level we all feel comfortable with. We? And yes when your meds change there is a window where that med will torment you for awhile until your body can adjust to it. Just saying the process to feeling better is not the normal you were used to, but a new normal you can live with between the meds and the side effects of the drug. Best drug out there is putting one foot in front of the other, getting out in the sunshine and don’t forget to put a huge smile on your face, because nobody out there is going to know your pain or want to know. And yes this forum is a place where we can experience this thing together and that alone is an awesome med!

Interesting comments. I'm glad that I took a moment to join the forum. Flare ups can happen at anytime. I recently had a bad one, but I feel better now. I have a new doctor who definitely is more understanding and a nurse that actually has/had Fibromyalgia herself. (It can go into remission or pain levels can get very low 1 or 2.) These two members of my medical team encourage and listen to me along with others and friends, which I think is the best medicine of all.
I notice times are worse, no pattern, no warnings! I am still trying to find what works for me to help with pain and unbelievable tiredness!

Best drug out there is putting one foot in front of the other, getting out in the sunshine and don’t forget to put a huge smile on your face, because nobody out there is going to know your pain or want to know. And yes this forum is a place where we can experience this thing together and that alone is an awesome med!
hear, hear!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back