Not open for further replies.

evrythnghz

Diagnosis
10/2012
Country
US
State
FL
Has anyone tried a gluten free diet? Since gluten is known to cause inflammation in more people than once thought, I tried cutting out gluten a few yrs ago. I did feel better but didn't stick with it. I started gluten free again a week ago and so far I don't really notice a difference in how I feel but maybe it's too soon to tell.

I'd be curious to see what others say on this thread. I've always thought the whole gluten-free craze was just a marketing ploy. The main reasons to avoid gluten, as far as I have ever read, are celiac disease and wheat allergies. It seems like if you aren't noticing any difference in the way you feel, it couldn't hurt you to add a little gluten back into your diet. It's so hard to pinpoint exactly what foods and food additives are actually the culprits that make us feel better or worse.

I started going gluten free in June. I thought it would not make a big difference, but it did. I had gained 10lbs in 2 weeks in May (I had my 1st documented flare-up in April; but had been having symptoms for a couple of years). Once cut back on gluten and started eating less dairy, and no processed foods; I lost that 10lbs and didn't look and feel as bloated. Believe me, gluten is hard for the body to digest. I was bad two weeks ago and ate PF Changs (with gluten), I was mentally and physically sick the next day. We have enough issues, cutting back on gluten was a sacrifice I will willing to make. There is an app called "find me gluten free" that will help you make choices when you eat out. My advice is that things you eat a lot of, try to go natural or organic (for example- I love sour cream, I only eat all natural or organic).

I had not thought of trying a Gluten Free Diet for Fibro. That is actually a good idea. I wonder if it would be really effective. I think it certainly could be. This type diet helps my child with autism.

Earlier this year, I went 100% Gluten-free for 60 days. I had been wondering this same question... Is much of my pain due to food allergies? So I committed to it for 2 months.

I'll be honest, I was kinda of disappointed. I honestly believed that my pain would reduce by at least 30%, but it didn't. HOWEVER, my IBS went away completely and I did lose 10 pounds! So it was beneficial in other areas.

The problem is that it didn't make a big enough difference in how I felt on a daily basis to make the trouble of being gluten-free worth it. When you're tired and hurting and emotional, it's difficult to also wrestle with a specified diet. (Not to mention that being gluten-free is an expensive style of eating.)

My recommendation is to try it for yourself and see if any results are beneficial enough to continue being g-free. It might not help with your fibromyalgia, but you may experience other benefits. I've now adopted a "half-of-the-time g-free" diet, just to stay thinner and keep the ISB away.

P.S. I have also found that alcohol and caffeine trigger flare-ups, but I can't kick the habit! Anyone else notice this?

I had not thought of trying a Gluten Free Diet for Fibro. That is actually a good idea. I wonder if it would be really effective. I think it certainly could be. This type diet helps my child with autism.

Hi - I have fibro and also a child with autism. My mother is adamant that I have developed fibro from the stress of dealing with my child. I am not trying to point fingers and I wouldn't change my daughter for anything in the world, but do you feel a connection between flareups and such?

gluten is something that some of our bodies cannot process or digest, especially since it has been engineered. my dr. suggested I try gluten free; it can't hurt. and it does cause inflammation in the body which in turn can flare up certain conditions like fibromyalgia. for me, I want to try different things to try and minimize the pain as much as possible.

For some people, going gluten free is due to a marketing ploy. While I am gluten free by necessity, my children don't seem to be troubled by gluten. I consider a serving of organic, high quality wheat product (like bread or pasta) to be a valuable part of their diet.

I have a friend who has inflammation flare ups that occur when she has gluten. She has rheumatoid arthritis and is on an anti-inflammation diet. A lot of other foods trigger her as well.

You can test how gluten effects you by going off gluten for two weeks or a month and then trying to eat it again. You have to be really careful to know where the hidden glutens are though, or you will contaminate your trial. Modified Food Starch is one of those hidden glutens most people don't know about.

Good luck with your test!

Little Bev - have you considered eating only organic gluten products?

I do not want my kids eating GMO and there are a lot of really good organic breads now.

Gluten is also in skin care products and make up.
Nice Catch! I had forgotten about that.

It's in shampoo and conditioner as well. I try and avoid the products that list it on the label, but I don't really read the back labels.

So far I have not been triggered by my personal care products.

No, but I might consider it in the future. Too bad a gluten free diet is too restrictive, and I'm not known for my willpower! Basically all the things I like to eat have gluten in them...! A friend of mine suffers from Celiac disease, and she often says I'm so lucky for being able to eat whatever I want. Her diet is 100% gluten-free, and I must add it looks like this diet is one of the most restrictive ones out there. Not sure I'm ready for something like that!

I think this is a good idea to try out. I've been reading about a lot of professional athletes that avoid gluten completely. That tells you something right there. I've been reading really bad things about carbohydrates, regardless of whether they are simple or complex. They are mostly bad for you unless you consume them in the form of beans or other healthy foods that include protein and nutrients along with the carbohydrates. I think I am going to go gluten free at some point in the near future. I look forward to everybody's responses.

Little Bev - have you considered eating only organic gluten products?

I do not want my kids eating GMO and there are a lot of really good organic breads now.

I try eating organic as much as possible. It's hard enough to find gluten free products, much less organic gluten free. I even go to an all natural store. And even my regular grocery store doesn't have many gluten free foods. I did find that Rice Krispies cereal is gluten free now. Good thing I like Rice Krispies. :) I have found that when I do eat the gluten free foods, my stomach doesn't blow up like a balloon. So, there must be something about the gluten that my stomach doesn't like. (maybe because it's not natural).

I have been 100% gluten free for over a year now. The only difference it has made is my IBS is 90% under control. When I went gluten free I also got completely off of white sugar. I do beleive that made some diference in my pain level. Unfortuately I lost that battle as I am the typical American sugar addict. I'm trying to get myself back off of it and cutting out dairy products. I mostly eat clean protein, veggies, fruit, nuts, and beans. The only grains I eat are oats and quinoa. It does make for pretty boring meals, but I constantly remind myself to eat to live and not live to eat. A good wholesome diet is so important for everyone and especially so for anyone fighting any kind of illness, acute or chronic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back