Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
CA
My doctor took me off of gluten hoping that it would help my pain symptoms. I don't think I feel any better, and it has been over a week. How long do you think it would take? I have no idea how long it should take, and my doctor isn't exactly the easiest to get a hold of.

Gluten is known to contain proteins which mimic opiates, so coming off gluten should make things temporarily worse. Eventually once your opiate receptors up regulate things should get better over time, but this can take a number of weeks.

I went gluten-free for three months. It made absolutely no difference in my symptoms. I also stopped all artificial sweeteners. Again, no difference.

Sometimes diet changes make big differences and other times nothing at all, but I see a positive in this as it shows your doctor is open to having you try different things in a effort to improve your health. I think often we think doctors know it all or have magic cures, but in the case of fibro, it is like grasping for straws in finding what works and what does not. But your doctor is trying and that counts bigtime.

I did not see any really difference in my health by going gluten free, but I did in dropping my use of sugar and processed foods. I try to make most things handmade and use organic or natural foods. While my weight did not drop much at first, my blood test results were a huge improvement and my pain decreased quite a bit.

What works for one, may not work for you, but as you read around the forum your bond to pick up some new coping skills to try. :)

Gluten hasn't affected my pain as far as I'm aware, but by almost eliminating it from my diet intestinal inflammation has reduced dramatically. I've lost inches off my waistline and I feel significantly less bloated. If inflammation is the cause of your pain then there may be something in it.

You really need to stay off gluten for a month to know how it affects you. You will feel worse before getting better. It is a great starting point, but gluten is not the only inflammatory food. Starch in general is inflammatory, and most gluten free bread is loaded with starch and has a very high glycemic index value. It is often worse for you than wheat bread if you can tolerate wheat. I strongly suggest going flour free instead. Flour can cause leaky gut syndrome anyway. Eating a whole foods based diet, meaning meat, vegetables, fruit, nuts, and honey (instead of any other sweetener) will probably eliminate the source of your issues. I don't eat any grains as they are starchy and inflammatory, but you might be able to get away with gluten free whole grains.

It took me a month to start to feel the difference. I wasn't convinced after the first week or so, but things slowly started improving. I'm not off my meds yet, but that was only part of the problem. I'm hoping that one day everything will surface and I will be able to get off meds completely!

A friend, who was told to go gluten free to see if it helps his sinus issues, was told 6 months. It takes awhile for some things (basically a toxin) to leave your system.

A gastrointestinal doctor I follow on twitter tweeted about the low FODMAP diet and how a small study showed it might be more beneficial than a gluten free diet for gastrointestinal issues. It might be worth looking into that diet, as there might be a link to Fibromyalgia and/or chronic pain. You can google the FODMAP food list. I'm really considering giving it a try as a lot of the foods I eat (apples, garlic, onions) are a no-no. Even if it didn't help with my pain levels it would be nice to not feel so terrible in the stomach reason all the time.

I don't know. I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease first. Been gluten free for two years. When I am glutened, though, I know it.

I do believe that with anything that has to do with a dietary change it is going to be something that takes time. I'm glad to hear that you are starting to feel a difference and I really hope that as more time goes by that you will start to feel more and more improved.

It took me a few weeks before I felt noticeably better, and now my pain comes back within a couple days after I have anything with gluten.

I eat gluten free foods, and it has helped my Fibromyalgia symptoms. I work as a merchandiser for this certain company, and, a man walked up to me and ask me if the store sold gluten free breads. I told him the store didn't sell gluten free breads, but, I did show him where the health store was in the area. The man told me since he started eating gluten free foods, he has had no joint pain, and has lost 30 pounds.

My doctor took me off of gluten hoping that it would help my pain symptoms. I don't think I feel any better, and it has been over a week.

I was in the same boat as you. I tried going gluten-free, as well as other "removal" diets each for a week or 2, then stopped every time as they didn't seem to be making a difference. What I found was that it took longer than a week or two (more like a month or two) before I began feeling the difference. For me, going gluten-free (plus avoiding processed foods and artificial sweeteners as much as possible) has improved my symptoms dramatically. Mainly in how I feel mentally (no more pounding headaches, less "brain fog"). I also stay away from nightshades, which seems to decrease my joint pain. I would suggest doing an "elimination" diet, where you start off with just a few fresh foods that are "safe" such as fresh fruit and veggies, and maybe some organic, unprocessed meats if you have to have meat (I did). Do that for at least a month, and if you feel better, slowly begin adding more foods to your diet, and noting what you ate if you begin to feel worse. A food journal helps track your intake. Anyway, hope this helps and that you can find some relief from your symptoms!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back