Gone potty? Plants gardens and lawns .

My day started out great today. Walked out to feed and water my Bourkes (little parrots) I have 8 and they are the sweetest birds.
Then a huge tree frog started croaking , it was so loud and close. It lives in a pot plant base.
0747F715-9EC8-47D3-929F-5E63893604FA.png

have you been able to breed the Bourkes parrots?

Yes, I have had good luck with them and they are the easiest to hand rear. Though seem to get attached to the one who feeds them . As you can see I got a few splits and pied. These pretty colours I am just pairing up. So bring on the next eggs 😊 they don’t sit on your shoulder like most parrots but I find they seem to more snuggle under your chin.

On an ever so slightly less exciting level,
"I" now have 300 snowdrops, 30 daffodils and 16 crocuses, and am mossing and ivying it all up more.
The big cornel has been flowering yellow all along. Big bits I cut back I've used to decorate the barren rest.
Presenting walnuts (which I hardly tolerate any more) have enticed a squirrel to our balcony to make up for our magpie.
A male sparrowhawk feasted on a ?dunnock in our giant cherry for an hour yesterday, 'beauty of cruelty' - all belongs to nature... thinking of the sparrowhawk's family made me see the loss of the magpie (and ?dunnock) differently.

On an ever so slightly less exciting level,
"I" now have 300 snowdrops, 30 daffodils and 16 crocuses, and am mossing and ivying it all up more.
Sounds like a beautiful show garden, where’s some photos? Would love to see.
The big cornel has been flowering yellow all along. Big bits I cut back I've used to decorate the barren rest.

Presenting walnuts (which I hardly tolerate any more) have enticed a squirrel to our balcony to make up for our magpie.
A male sparrowhawk feasted on a ?dunnock in our giant cherry for an hour yesterday, 'beauty of cruelty' - all belongs to nature... thinking of the sparrowhawk's family made me see the loss of the magpie (and ?dunnock) differently.

What is a big cornel?
Do you get cherries off your cherry tree? Oh I love 🍒 🤤

Sounds like a beautiful show garden,
No no no, not even sure if should attempt that... I saw a beautiful romantic one on a vid and thought - that perfection is a million miles to go... (and not compatible with fibro/MCAS).
But I believe what I took over in Nov/Dec has quite some potential, I love it anyway, and the ugly bits have come from lack of energy and knowledge, which I'm now hopefully making up for.
OK, I spose I'm being too critical, just impatient cos it's winter now.
When the lilac, the forsythia, the magnolia, the cherry, and all the flowers blossom.... Ah, I found some old summer pics I could show.
And mossing the lawn and ivying the ugly walls and sheds more are the projects coming up.
Plus starting to hollyhock the walls, got the seeds off a next door neighbour who I asked.
Looking for the romantic garden video I saw David Bowie made a track (with Eno?) called Moss Garden, but the Japanese ones he's referring to are too strict for my liking, I like it wilder....
What is a big cornel?
Do you get cherries off your cherry tree? Oh I love 🍒 🤤
The cornel cherry is already blossoming despite the rainy snow this week (yellow like witch-hazel would be and forsythia is starting up). Those cherries are edible too, sour like cranberry and sour cherry, for jam. Never knew, lots of my lack of knowledge (plus we were only allowed to "look at it" until I took it over). Cornel cherries might be great for me, better than the sweet cherries, which taste better, but aren't good for me (lipids I think? controversial re. histamine).
Big meaning maybe 12 yards tall. The sweet cherry is maybe 20 yards tall. That's taller than our garden is broad... The cherries are delicious, but the worms like them too. I'll see if I can help after harvesting.
where’s some photos? Would love to see.
1) Left to right: lilac, magnolia and sweet cherry in full bloom (cornel, then hazel on the right).
2) I wonder if I can catch the tulips behind the snow drops coming out before the drops leave us?
3) The cornel cherry 6 weeks ago, newer photos went wrong (probably did them in macro, like :
4) Cornel cherry blossoms close up. (Love my daffodil & crocus - orange in purple - close ups too.)

Attachments

• Balkon Kirschblüte 2014-04-11 19.41.36.jpg
    Balkon Kirschblüte 2014-04-11 19.41.36.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 31
  • 2023-03-04 13.22.36.jpg
    2023-03-04 13.22.36.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 31
  • 2023-01-25 14.13.47.jpg
    2023-01-25 14.13.47.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 32
  • 2023-01-31 13.46.57.jpg
    2023-01-31 13.46.57.jpg
    716.7 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
lovely pics, @JayCS
I especially like the snow drops scattered about - so natural, not planned and structured

so natural, not planned and structured
Thanks! 👐 -
yep, exactly what I'm aiming for, handy that there are already quite a few wild bits I can build on.

Still very busy pruning off all the fungal leaves, esp. on the ivy, been long neglected. Hope they'll forgive those small snips in the cold and sometimes rain, altho that's not rule of the trade. Oh, did I just make that up? Or translate an inkling literally perhaps? But you get it, I guess. And can teach me...

There you go, they look amazing, the yellow blossoms are stunning. I don’t think I have any yellow flowers.
Just moved into our autumn. Love it when the leave change colour and the persimmon are going a beautiful tangerine colour. Mom loves em lol.

yeah, still very much winter here - more snow today and again this weekend they say.. oh boy... :cautious:

probably wont get to do any gardening related stuff for at least another month, possibly longer

Do you get a lot of snow? I have been down to Perisher Vally a few times. It’s just over 7 hour drive and it’s just beautiful. Was great to sit with an extra hot cuppa and watch everyone. Wait for it——
But too cold for me.

the yellow blossoms are stunning. I don’t think I have any yellow flowers.
Me: *it's "only" yellow: cornel cherry, forsythia, daffodils... * - thx for a new light on that! 👐
OK, now you're getting 2 cheat ones: I "planted" some blooming cornel cherry branches all over the garden. I'd pruned them off cos they were futilely tackling and entagled in neighbour's bamboo (roots curbed with plastic)... And I'm now always looking how I can recycle everything most.
Under them the tulips are over a foot high, ready to shoot out their colours, I bet 5 or more sorts.
Now the daffodils have beat them I look for the first tulip shoot every day. But the crocuses too.
And while I'm at it I'll start by sharing the biggest daffodil in front of the hazel...
And what's wrong with looking kindly on the brown wood with moss on it, I spose...
And so many evergreens from moss, ivy, 15 various rhododendrons (e.g. pic 4 behind the cornel), 6 buxus, taxus, pyracantha...
very much winter here - more snow today
cookiebaker: What'd be your spots of colour in it that brighten you up?

Attachments

• 2023-03-04 14.10.18.jpg
    2023-03-04 14.10.18.jpg
    845.6 KB · Views: 29
  • 2023-03-04 13.27.44.jpg
    2023-03-04 13.27.44.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 29
  • 2023-03-04 13.27.36.jpg
    2023-03-04 13.27.36.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Yep, the yellow blossoms are a stand out in the garden. We all have white, pinks, reds. I definitely will go yellow flower shopping on the weekend.

cookiebaker: What'd be your spots of colour in it that brighten you up?
that will be the apple blossoms and lilacs, but wont be for at least a couple of months yet.. honestly, just everything turning green again would be nice. lol

still buried in snow here - got a couple more inches today, and more coming over the weekend (boo-hiss - tired of snow!)

Back