WillowPaws

Diagnosis
10/2013
Country
US
State
Oregon
Hey, all,
My name is Willow. I've had a whirlwind of a year leading to a fibro diagnosis just a few weeks ago, and I'm still, er, processing. I also suffer from anxiety, depression, PTSD, and PCOS, and it's really overwhelming to have another chronic condition added to the list.

Before this all started, I was working hard on my brand-new art business, and halfway through the process of launching an assisted publishing business with a friend. It takes a lot of hard work to do all my own crafting, packing, shipping, marketing . . . I've had to stop work almost entirely while I try to get a handle on life with fibro.

I still take a lot of joy in writing (I'm most of the way through a novel at the moment, and I've been pleased to find that I'm still able to work on it despite everything) and I'm starting to feel like I have a future ahead of me, but now I need to start the hard work of finding out what helps me recover.

I'm uninsured and terribly broke at the moment, so I'm only able to get help from the free clinic. The doctors there have been really frustrating to work with, but I can't really complain, since I'm not paying for their help. Right now I can't even afford to buy produce, so I'm living on a diet of beans and rice; I imagine that doesn't help either.
Anyone around here have tips for the very-broke?

My husband is being a complete angel about the whole thing, and my extended family and friends have been very supportive, since they've all known fibro sufferers. I'm really grateful that I don't have to deal with negativity from the people around me; they're so encouraging.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to making some new friends and learning from you folks~~

Willowpaws,
First off welcome to the forum. I have been reading your posts around the forum and find you have a lot of interesting and valuble, things that add to our conversation here. So thank you for just jumping in and posting. Feel free to ask any questions that come up in the course of dealing with fibro, and of course be sure and read through the back posts in the symptoms of fibro that are the worst for you.

I hope you will post in all areas of the forum and make yourself some new friends as well. As someone who is for the most part very broke, I can offer a few ideas. When you buy food, if you buy milk, buy a box of dry milk it lasts longer and won't spoil, as you make up only the amount you need. If you use alternative milk buy almond milk. A carton will last up to 2-3 weeks in the refrigerator. Buy dry soup mixes or bouillion cubes, and of course noodles and macaroni are cheap like 1.00 a box. I buy dried vegatables or frozen vegetables, and while not as good as fresh they are loaded with vitamins. Buy what you need a bit at a time and make more stuff at home instead of eating out. Be sure to eat brown rice, instead of white, because the brown rice is better for you.

I have started a share a recipe in off topics at the bottom of the forum. Maybe these are something you could try. :)

Hey, thanks. ^_^

I've spent the last month living almost exclusively on rice, beans, and potatoes, since my husband and I are splitting less than $200 of food stamps at the moment -- but hopefully I'll be coping well enough to start working on my art business again soon, and then I can spring for more vegetables.
But let me tell you, I have a lot of awesome recipes with rice and beans now. ;3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back