Guaifenisin

Status
Not open for further replies.

RxTracy

Hi, I have had migraines for decades. Really bad for 5 or 6 days a week on multiple preventative and abortive meds for it. I was told that I have fibromyalgia years ago as well. But the migraines were horrible! So, didn’t do anything with the fibromyalgia issue. I read about the guaifenisin protocol for fibromyalgia by chance . I have been taking guaifenisin 1200 mg twice daily for about 6 weeks now and have only had 3 mild headaches in 5 weeks!!!!!! Such a miracle!!! I am still in shock!!! I am so thankful to the endocrinologist who has suggested it & wrote the book!!! Guaifenisin protocol for fibromyalgia.

I have been taking guaifenisin 1200 mg twice daily for about 6 weeks now and have only had 3 mild headaches in 5 weeks!!!!!! Such a miracle!!!
Hi Tracy, and welcome!
Interesting result. There keep being a few people who report being able to take guaifenesin without any problems. An expectorant, for cough, some forms of Mucinex have it as a main ingredient.
For most it actually is sposed to increase problems for a few weeks, say the main proponents, like and is very dependent on avoiding salicylates and the CBT that Dr. St. Amand used.

So are you doing it all alone and without anything else? And is it improving anything else?

Otherwise I'd suggest that it is perhaps thinning mucus in your sinuses, could that praps be the cause of your migraines? Even if you have never been aware of infections, I believe that's possible.
Because neither St. Amand's hypothesis for fibro/CFS nor normal guaifenesin use has anything to do with migraines, as far as I can tell...
(I like to analyze why something is helping, and in most cases can separate all symptoms from one another, only occasionally are they related to one another, and have most success in treating them individually instead of a general smash at them all.)

Last edited:
Lots of questions.
I have had no side effects at all & started at 1200 mg twice daily & felt better within days. I felt so bad initially it was unbelievable, Not sure it is possible that the guaifenisin could have made me feel any worse. I have been on Qulipta for migraines for several month before starting the guaifenisin. it is suppose to block Cgrp which is the chemical that causes migraines. It did help some …. Maybe 50% with intensity but still with really bad migraines 3 To 4 days a week.
When i get migraines -I do get this really very thick mucus That slides down the back of my throat & also I blow it from the nose. Multiple theories out there……1 is that the nasal nerve is 1 of the 5 nerves that gets pushed on by the fluid & it constantly fires creating the migraine. Other nerves are in the temples, behind the eyes, & in back of the head. causing pain in those areas. Most migraineurs have issues with multiple nerves. . I dont belive its sinusitis bc it usually clears after 3 days ( normal for migraines) "& I have been to multiple docs and once in my life have had a sinus infection. But who knows……. I am certain guaifenisin keeps that mucus thinned Which could prevent the migraines itself. About the mucus…..a néw type of mri last year found that migraine patients get fluid in the peri vascular spaces around blood vessels in the brain. those spaces are created by fluid that wasn’t cleared away by the body’ s brain draining system. The theories go that this also what causes dementia, Parkinsonism, ms, etc. Next …. guaifenisin is also a muscle relaxant help relaxing the muscles of the body which could also keep the muscle spasmsfrom compressing the nerves causing pain. Which again could prevent a migraine. Then lastly the guaifenisin protocol says it lowers the accumulated phosphorus in tissues. So, the levels of phosphorus in blood could still be normal. I have never had a tissue biopsy to check those levels. So, I don’t know about that. Maybe it’s a combo of multiple things. But for now I am enjoying waking up almost every day with no headache, no neck & shoulder pain. For me it has been a godsend with no side effects & honestly I dont care how it works bc I am almost pain free every day, i
posted on here just in case it could help other people like it has me! Good luck to you.

Reactions: MNP
Lots of questions. ...... i posted on here just in case it could help other people like it has me!
Sorry, but your answers have brought much light 💡 into something that looked a bit like another g. miracle cure claim!... So your explaining makes it sound more trustworthy, more likely to inspire someone to try it.
almost every day with no headache, no neck & shoulder pain. For me it has been a godsend with no side effects & honestly I dont care how it works bc I am almost pain free every day,
If something works well, and while it works well, I don't care too much either, but my experience is that most things don't work perfectly, so to get the most out of it it is important to me to care how something works.
Or me getting sinus headaches when my histamine bucket is fuller wouldn't have encouraged me to re-think about guaifenesin, but now I can see how it may be working for you, it does.

Almost pain free everyday just because you have no headache, neck or shoulder pain, though? That sounds more like your neck and shoulder pain came from your headaches, and it's not widespread enough for fibro?

Almost pain free everyday just because you have no headache, neck or shoulder pain, though? That sounds more like your neck and shoulder pain came from your headaches, and it's not widespread enough for fibro?

when one area dominates like it sounds like here, it is pretty easy to "forget" about other aches and pains..
and she did say "almost" pain free, not completely pain free..

I know for me, if I could get the lower back (mostly SI joints right now) and neck issues sorted out (both caused mostly by arthritis, not the fibro) then I too would feel massive pain relief... not completely pain free, but the rest would be much more tolerable when not in a flare.

when one area dominates like it sounds like here, it is pretty easy to "forget" about other aches and pains..
Oh, definitely! 👍 Like when I say I've got "all" my local pains "down" and my severe Ache "under control".... 😏

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back