Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
07/2016
Country
CA
State
ON
I just watched a video that was recommended by someone in the forum. It was of someone w/ fibro who appeared to suffer a great deal, but near the end it showed that she was going to the gym!

I totally understand the benefits. I have been fortunate enough to experience those benefits before all of this pain, hypersomnolence etc.

Are people actually finding treatments to help stave off symptoms long enough to get through the gym/working out? This isn't increasing pain?

I am interested to hear more.

There is nothing I want more than to have my body back enough to do some things like that! Things that promote health and wellness...

At this stage, I can't even imagine walking down the road 5m and back like my rheumatologist suggested.

Last edited:
Most info I have found for exercising with FM is to take a 20 min. walk. Simple, easy and cheap. Some can do more and some days you can do more than others. As I recently had a total knee replacement and need another soon, I mostly ride an exercise bike and do the strengthening exercises I was given through PT. It can be quite a workout in itself and some days I just can't do it, or at least all or it.

I do believe a stroll is very good for the mind. I take time to notice everything around me and enjoy the bird songs, etc. Small steps. Then as you feel better on some days a good walk.

I exercise regularly because it helps, because I am going to be in pain anyway - it's just a matter of how much.

First step is the hardest ? Some days it is really hard to get going.

My routine is to get up and spend a half hour or so with my computer and a couple of cups of coffee and then get moving, doing something. Then I shower and sit down and eat breakfast - rest a bit. Stretching is huge too, as is hydration and or course periods of rest.

I truly believe it helps overall to be active for my body to be able and move my joints - but also for overall well being, short term & long term. Summer is definitely my time, I can do more - in the winter I am in worse shape, more pain and more fatigue (we have snowy cold winters where I live). In a few years when the kids get out of school we are moving to somewhere warmer.

My activities - biking, walking, step, water fitness, yoga or swimming. I try and do light weights 2x a week because my family is full of osteoporosis. In the winter I might just walk on my treadmill a bit and stretch.

My benefits - stretching keeps me more limber, exercise helps my stomach function (IBS), helps my mood, keeps my weight where it should be, encourages me to eat healthy

I used to run, teach group fitness, do interval training, lift heavier weights - but now I just try to do some exercise, just move. I have a calendar book I write my activities in and try to do something most days. I'm not saying I have it all solved - weather changes kill me, mornings are often rough (as are evenings) but I think it would be worse without moving. Days I have been sick in a row my pain is huge.

I walk on the treadmill for a mile every other day. Light house cleaning and tending to my flowers help keep me less stiff, but if I do too much my body definitely tells me so. I may end up in bed for a couples days. I didn't go to the YMCA for a while because I had two neuromas in my right foot. After weeks and unsuccessful treatments my doctor gave me 2 shots of Cortisone in my right foot. That worked for a few weeks but now that I am back to the Y my right foot feels like the neuromas are coming back.......I get tired very easily. Stress does not help my pain, and since I am now awaiting a hearing for disability, our finances are tight. My stress is higher. To top it all off my student loans are now due because I had to leave school with only three classes to go. If there is a miracle aid out there that helps make life easier, please share.

For me, I definitely need to keep moving, regardless of the pain.

Unless you are physically unable to stand, I would highly recommend everyone walk..even around your house.

If you have an office job, get up often and walk down the hallway. The longer you are still, the worse this beast seems.

I think it was me that recommended the video.....and for me the gym bit was the part of the girls story that doesn't correlate with my personal experience with fibro.

I had many years where i could walk for about 40 minutes to an hour quite often, but a work out of any kind, even 6 leg raises seized my legs and knees up...the same with cycling..totally impossible. I wouldn't beable to walk again for weeks.

It just goes to show how different we all are.....I could walk further than some people but strenuous stuff like swimming ,gym, cycling didn't suit me at all and would cause serious repercussions.

My doctor said to do low-impact exercise.
We don't live far from a body of water and it's summertime, so I've been going for a float and some treading water a few times a week... not for much longer than 10 minutes, but it's something.
My mom bought a rebounder (tiny trampoline) that can be alright to just walk and bounce on for a few minutes. I would suggest getting one of those hand rail attachments, though-- I use a turned around chair and kinda just hope my legs don't give out and I fall.
Cycling could be good but as I'm afraid I'll fall and not be able to prop myself up, I'm looking into getting a second-hand recumbent bike to pedal infront of the tv or something.

Stretching would surely be good, too-- and daily chores would feel both productive and give some stretch!

I try to do exercise around my house and yard. Just doing housework and caring for my garden is enough for me. On good days this spring and summer, I went picking blackberries or wild strawberries, but had to be careful not to trip or bend over to much. Some people improve with gym exercises to help strengthen muscles, but for me it only wore me out more. However, I have heard from several members that going swimming at the indoor pool helped them a lot. Even the great outdoors swimming might help as moving in water is easier to do when doing exercises. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back