Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
09/2020
Country
CA
State
ON
I was diagnosed with Fibro in September and in the past month, I've been waking up with excruciating hand/fingers and feet pain, making it difficult to walk. It slowly dissipates throughout the morning sits below the surface of my skin.

I'm on Gabapentin, Cymbalta and Suboxone to help with the pain. Does any6else experience this?

Hi HappyGirl, Have you considered that these problems could be caused by the medications? I am not saying they are, but they could be. You are on three heavy-duty medications, all of which are known to have serious side effects, although less often with Gabapentin. I suggest that you try not taking those others and see if it helps. If you have been on them for a while you will need to taper off gradually because the withdrawl can be brutal. Try other ways of managing your pain if you can.

Also, perhaps see a rheumatologist. Your symptoms sound as if they could be arthritis in your hands.

And one more thing: I used to wake up with my hands painful, asleep, and/or tingling. A doctor told me that I was exacerbating this by sleeping with my wrists bent and my hands curled in, the way many people do. I trained myself to sleep with my hands always flat and my wrists never bent, and all those problems vanished.

Thank you for your feedback. Mu hubby wondered about the medication as well. My doctor sent me for another blood test this morning-calcium mag and something about arthritis. I see him tomorrow.

I really dont feel like Gabapentin has done much. I'm.on 900 mg a day. The pain is so bad some days the Suboxone doesn't seem to help.

I'll ask about a rheumatologist tomorrow as well, I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia and Allodynia a few months back after ruling out a ton of other things.

Stay tuned!

Hi HG - If it's mainly upon waking up, I agree with sunkacola about the sleeping position - praps your hubby can watch your body position at night or you can come up with something else at night.

How I taught myself to sleep with my hands flat: Every night when I went to bed I told myself over and over "hands flat". I repeated it almost as if it were a mantra, over and over endlessly until I went to sleep. If I woke up in the night I placed my hands very deliberately flat on the bed and started repeating it again.
Somehow it worked, and I started sleeping with my hands flat instead of curled at the wrist, and I never wake up with my hands asleep any more. It only took maybe 3 weeks and I never have to repeat the phrase any more.

Good on ya - now you've got plenty of time to get the pain down beforehand... ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back