Has anyone had a Myocardial Perfusion Scan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

markinaboat

Reason
DX CFS
Diagnosis
01/1994
Country
UK
Hi all from the UK,

Not firectly FM related but you no how it is, when we get referred for various other health issues they (doctros, admin, nurses) haven't got a clue of what or how anything can affect us.

I'm being booked in for a 'Myocardial Perfusion Scan'. This is to deterine how much oxygen (not just blood flow) is getting to the heart muscle. Bascially, they inject a radioactive substance (not contrast dye) that's apparently equivalent to the amount of radiation we may absorb over a 4 yr period. Like many, I'm hypersensitive due to FMS and get fed up with being treated like a moaning hypochondriac with comments such as (in a recovery ward once) "it can't hurt that much, look at the other people around you".

So has anyone had one of these scans and been adversely affected by the radioactive substance? I should add that I've had several scans over the years with the standard contrast dyes and like without any ill effect whatsoever.

Many thanks

Mark

"it can't hurt that much, look at the other people around you".
I can't advise on the Myocardial Perfusion Scan, but just wanted to say WOW on that comment. I know this stuff happens all the time - we've pretty much all faced it at least once, if not many, many times - but these kinds of brain farts are still always so disappointing! At least you'll never find that attitude here. Good luck with your scan if you go for it!

being treated like a moaning hypochondriac with comments such as (in a recovery ward once) "it can't hurt that much, look at the other people around you".
I am sorry you got treated this way.
It's not right. So many of us go through this, and I have as well.

One thing I have found that really has helped me with this kind of thing is to speak about the pain as little as I possibly can to people. This means I don't get a lot of support but it also means I don't get crap like what was said to you.

Now, of course, if you are talking with a doctor you have to tell them everything and not hold back. But, in my experience if I do it completely without any emotion at all, and just keep my tone of voice even and calm and factual, that helps as well. there will always be idiots who say horrible things, but I found my own approach to it when telling the doctors about it could make a lot of difference. It's a bit harder for someone to accuse you of some sort of hysterical psychosomatic thing if you are 100% calm in front of them. :cool:

It will raise your heart rate and they will check and see what your EF is.( can't spell out what EF is lol)
I had a choice of doing the treadmill or the Medicine and chose to do the treadmill since the Medicimcation used does have side effects i didn't like. I had a heart attack already so it was rough on the treadmill and won't be doing either again.
Good luck and if you can do the treadmill,I'd donit instead. They still inject nuclear Medicine in you,but it's not bad.

Hi Mark, I'm also extremely sensitive and pretty sure I've had something like this, with no ill effect, not sure tho.
Listening to @Drummer76: Any alternative?

Hi markinaboat, yes I've had the procedure. Almost painless but in some ways a little bit scary. The radioactive material arrives in a lead lined box and the person injecting you has to wear special gloves. I have been told it can affect people differently but all I felt was a strange warmth going through my bloodstream. I'm 74 and had not reactions apart from relief that this strange procedure was over. I wonder who discovered this?

Hi all from the UK,

Not firectly FM related but you no how it is, when we get referred for various other health issues they (doctros, admin, nurses) haven't got a clue of what or how anything can affect us.

I'm being booked in for a 'Myocardial Perfusion Scan'. This is to deterine how much oxygen (not just blood flow) is getting to the heart muscle. Bascially, they inject a radioactive substance (not contrast dye) that's apparently equivalent to the amount of radiation we may absorb over a 4 yr period. Like many, I'm hypersensitive due to FMS and get fed up with being treated like a moaning hypochondriac with comments such as (in a recovery ward once) "it can't hurt that much, look at the other people around you".

So has anyone had one of these scans and been adversely affected by the radioactive substance? I should add that I've had several scans over the years with the standard contrast dyes and like without any ill effect whatsoever.

Many thanks

Mark
Hi Mark! I had got one radioactive stuff to my body because I am allergic to the contrast material (iodine) and instead of that they used this things. It did not made for me any problem and was not hurt at all, but that thing was injecting in me because they want to examine my spine not my heart. I don't have any idea but really hope , fingers cross for you , it will be pain free the whole procedure.
I am so surprise in different countries the doctors and health professionals make a negative comments. It is not fair, we all suffering from this terrible illness we don't need any negativity. Here in Australia the doctors I met were helpful to me. Because I have a major depression as well I totally upset if somebody think I am a hypochondriac. I think that hurt anybody's feeling. I wish all the best for you and keep us inform what happening to you.

Hi Markinaboat
Are they testing for a blood clot? Hence O2saturation?
I have had a cardio echo testing, measure only perfusion status.
In terms of IV contrast I had IV iodine contrast and had a delayed reaction, by 48hrs post infusion, I woke up through the night and couldn't open my eyes, on looking in mirror I was horrified skin around my eyes puffed up. Blotchy rash all over my trunk face n limbs. Then the swelling travelled to my cheeks lips ears and down my neck, never any airway compromise. Dam scary though!
Never again. I phoned radiology folk, they kept minimising the reaction, saying that it probably wasn't IV iodine given delayed reaction ( I think they were looking out for themselves) They said you'll be fine next time, we'll just give you some steroids prior to control it. I told my Dr what Head Radiologist said, Doc shook his head and said, no...stay away from anymore IV iodine contrast.
Because FM is an invisible disease, it's so difficult to get recognition that this is really happening to me! Extreme fatigue body aches n pains brain fog lethargy, I am a whisper of the person I was. Budgeting my energy. Very frustrating on top off dealing with the disease and disease process, and trying to get by on reduced workable hours. But hey, it is what it is and IT is happening to me!!! I feel for you Mark. Stay strong to your own convictions, with you in spirit as you continue your sojourn. God bless ya.
Take care, ask lots of questions. Is there an alternative test? Without IV contrast?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back