Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
02/2020
Country
CA
State
AB
Hi Everyone: I just started learning about the role of the Vagus nerve and its relationship to a lot of different health problems, including Fibromyalgia. The exercises online that I tried (see Sukie Baxter on YouTube) and in the book by Stanley Rosenberg are so simple, but they've had profound effects on my nervous system. I've only done these for 2 days and only briefly - as I have a very sensitized system and already can sense they are activating things. I mentioned it to my therapist and she said that she's just recently been learning about these exercises and that its only just becoming mainstream in psychology. Has anyone else done these or been treated for the Vagus nerve? Its one of the main nerves int he body that runs from the brain down to the gut and has two parts - a dorsal and ventral component and it regulates a lot of the fight or flight responses and pain, digestive function, etc etc.

Hi longtimer - great suggestion. I've seen Sukie Baxter before, but not in this context.
I've just tried massaging 2 ear spots. Reminds me that I liked my mum doing that as a kid.
Also that my acupressurist usually started with ear acupressure.
On first try I experienced it calming me, but I can't hold my arms up that long, and it's making me nauseous.
So as ever I'll use it in max. 1' stints from now on. And continue with further exercises. Brilliant: Thanks!

O thank you for this! Always great to hear about relief which doesn't involve swallowing medication! Had one session so far and this ear massage eased my gut (IBS) and my jaw and neck (FM). Am spreading the word!

Hi Again

I just want to update my experience with Vagus Nerve Therapy - its really helping me and it is soo easy, there is no reason not to try it. As soon as I do the basic exercise which is lying flat with your hands behind your back and looking up at the top left area of vision and holding it for 30 seconds (or longer) and then looking up to the top right vision for 30 seconds (or longer) - I feel it releasing the tension in my jaw and my rib cage. The other simple exercises, that don't involve exercise at all but very gently moving your finger tips across your skin in key areas, help with digestion and facial tension, anxiety, ibs, fibro and many other conditions.

I slipped down a stair the other day and it hurt my whole left side where I generally have a lot of pain - doing these simple movements helps release a lot of the muscle pain. The exercises are something you only do a little of - and very lightly each day - too much and you can overstimulate the nerve - so no sweating, no time commitment - I do it right before I go to bed, and often around mid day.

Please try it - google it and find Sukie Baxter's videos on YouTube - she guides you through the basics and explains the science and medical evidence for it. It will take just a few minutes out of your day to watch the videos, and it might make a real difference if you try it. And it doesn't cost anything.

By the way - I am in no way connected with Ms Baxter - I found her by accident. I bought the book by Stanley Rosenberg too, that first published this work - the book goes into more detail explaining how the Vagus nerve influences so much of our basic nerve functions from the brain down to the gut.

Hi and thanks I am definitely going to find the video and try this technique. ❤️

It's great to hear of things that can help us all. Especially the one's that you don't have to swallow or pay for!! ;)

Especially the one's that you don't have to swallow or pay for!! ;)
Yup, 2 reasons I like looking for acupressure / stretching / exercises etc. on youtube (and vimeo)
others being
  • it's pretty immediate (altho searching can take a while, cos they may be hidden and the algorithms may distract),
  • I have the choice of many different people from all over the world (often from India for acupressure),
  • I can feel immediately if it's "tickling" the right place, or look for something else, maybe coming back,
  • if you forget you can quickly look and see how exactly you're sposed to do it,
  • they're often more to the point (or the relevant part of the video is), and
  • I'm under my own control, not have a physio tell me to do more than is good for me (they hardly ever say do less, do they...)

I agree, I trained as a holistic therapist many years ago, and although I no longer practice, it's really helped me over the years. I'm very much for relaxation / meditation and holistic health. You just have to try things in baby steps and see what works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back