Reason
Undiagnosed
Diagnosis
03/2014
Country
US
State
ID
I have had symptoms of fibromyalgia for years. 10-15. It crept up on me slowly. First was the fatigue, but I had just had a baby so they ran a bunch a blood test to see if my hormones were out of wack, etc nothing showed up so they just told me I needed to let my body recover.

I also started getting very frequent severe migraines at this time. I focused most of my attention on these at Dr visits because I thought the tiredness, poor sleep, brain fog, sore trigger points were all related to the migraines. I spent several years on different preventatives. Some actually helped what I consider my fibro pain, mainly neurotonin and topamax and zonegran and Prozac.

During this time I was still extremely tired all the time. I would have better weeks/ months and horrible weeks months. My monthly cycle is wacky and unpredictable, but when I have my period the few days before and during I am a mess of severe symptoms, I also get a flare when I ovulate.

About once a year I would reach the point I couldn't take it anymore and go to my gp, she has checked my thyroid, my iron levels for Epstein. Barr all the usually stuff several times.

Then last month at the nuero I broke down. I told him, that I was at a point in my treatment where I could live with my migraines but I couldn't live with the fatigue anymore. I was in a really bad week at that time and was sleeping an average of 16 hours a day. That's when he gave me the trigger point test said I probably had fibromyalgia, but he wants to do a sleep study and then an MRI . It's been almost 3 weeks and I am still waiting for my insurance to ok the sleep study:-x

I try to hide my illness from my family as much as possible. I sleep when they aren't around, or make up excuses for why I am so tired, but they aren't stupid. My husband said the kids are asking him all the time if I am ok:-(. My husband thinks I will get better if I just go to the gym and workout.

Your husband is right. You will do a lot better with regular work outs. Working out reduces pain a lot, and it does help build energy. My chronic fatigue has always been much worse than my fibro pain, and working out is helping me recover a lot. I think it helps because it greatly increases circulation, works toxins out of your organs and muscles, burns fat that slows you down, and helps move things along in your digestive tract. My suggestion is to drink one small black cup of organic coffee an hour before working out to help you get the energy to do it. Sugar will actually hurt your energy levels, and most people don't do well with dairy (causes mucus in everyone, and increases inflammation.) Organic because coffee has more pesticides than any other crop, and pesticides are just another toxin you would be trying to get rid of through working out. I also recommend swimming because it doesn't hurt (no impact.) Just be sure to stretch your chest muscles very well, or you might feel like you're having a heart attack after the soreness settles in. Also, just a few laps. Don't over swim. I also like biking because it is low impact and works most of the body.

I'm sorry about your condition. I think most of us here can relate. It is miserable! But don't stop fighting. This is your life, and you can either give up and let the condition control you, or you can put your all into overcoming it.

Sorry to hear you are going thru this, MrsFish. It really sounds like a really frustrating situation and I truly hope your insurance approves those test very soon, so you can finally get a definite diagnosis and you don't have more doubts in your mind. I know how bad it is to live in uncertainty, because I lived in uncertainty for a while, actually not knowing is an awful thing.

You must deal with the fact that your family will find out sooner or later about your disease, that must happen; it's necessary. I do understand why you don't want them to know tho. But they will surely find out sooner or later. That's actually not bad, because the sooner they find out, the sooner they will get used to it and might actually offer you a lot extra support.

Hang in there! Best of luck with your tests!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back