sunkacola

Forum Supporter
Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
Normally I never even post in this section of the forums. One of my main strategies in dealing with fibro is to maintain a positive attitude as best I can. I have tried to keep that going, but recently I have failed to maintain that in the face of everything that is going on in the world. The Plague and everything that is affected by it, like a line of dominoes, has really gotten me down. This last year was pretty distressing even before the virus came: the Amazon burned, Australia burning, so many refugees in the world, so many bad things happening. But I maintained through all of that as best I could and now my ability to do that has run out.

The result is I have become despondent and that affects my ability to be active....not to mention the fact that we are all supposed to stay home, anyway. I wake up every morning now in deep pain, and that adds to my depression. I have low-grade anxiety most of the time with waves of greater anxiety. I have a hard time relaxing, and that of course makes the pain worse. Most days the pain is bad enough I cannot go on a hike, which has been my activity of choice and used to help a lot. I stay away from the news on some days, but cannot just stick my head in the sand, and have to read at least the headlines most of the time in case something happens I need to know. There's no getting used to this, because it keeps changing. I feel as though I can't find my balance. As we all know, stress exacerbates all of the symptoms of fibro, and everything is pretty stressful these days. Just don't see any light ahead at this point, and am having a very hard time with that.

Hi Sunkacola - this is a very difficult time to be alive. I feel the same way about the state of the world, and the virus seems to be just the next worse thing that could happen. I find being stuck inside makes it difficult to be motivated and to get up and do things. My pain has been worse from the stress too, so I feel you. Everyone I talk to seems to be feeling much the same (even those who don't have chronic conditions) - the fear and anxiety are real and they are debilitating for everyone. I have had to make a real concerted effort to do things to keep from just crawling into bed and staying there. Whether it's vacuuming my house, or making something nice for dinner - focusing on one thing to accomplish each day really helps. And I sing to myself (and my cats) and just act goofy. My husband has been really stressed so maybe I'm just trying to balance it out by trying to be positive through all of this. Also, this is something that I have practised for a long time - finding beauty in small things... the robin on the branch, the sun in the sky - your favorite mug... I look at art online and cute animals too. There are so many wonderful things to see. We'll get through this somehow - think of Britain in WWII - Stay calm and carry on.

Ok::::;;; This pandemic is news and stretching the truth sells more. Limit your time listening to it. There will always be something out there that we can’t control making news headlines. Stress is the biggest enemy we have. When I lost my career of 35 years I was devastated but the stress was too much and was making me flare so bad I couldn’t get out bed most days. Your mind loves to play games when you are idle. That’s what happened to me. This forum is here for us to listen to and share our stories. Sometimes it’s nice to hear that we are not alone and the fight is not just yours to fight!

Normally I never even post in this section of the forums. One of my main strategies in dealing with fibro is to maintain a positive attitude as best I can. I have tried to keep that going, but recently I have failed to maintain that in the face of everything that is going on in the world. The Plague and everything that is affected by it, like a line of dominoes, has really gotten me down. This last year was pretty distressing even before the virus came: the Amazon burned, Australia burning, so many refugees in the world, so many bad things happening. But I maintained through all of that as best I could and now my ability to do that has run out.

The result is I have become despondent and that affects my ability to be active....not to mention the fact that we are all supposed to stay home, anyway. I wake up every morning now in deep pain, and that adds to my depression. I have low-grade anxiety most of the time with waves of greater anxiety. I have a hard time relaxing, and that of course makes the pain worse. Most days the pain is bad enough I cannot go on a hike, which has been my activity of choice and used to help a lot. I stay away from the news on some days, but cannot just stick my head in the sand, and have to read at least the headlines most of the time in case something happens I need to know. There's no getting used to this, because it keeps changing. I feel as though I can't find my balance. As we all know, stress exacerbates all of the symptoms of fibro, and everything is pretty stressful these days. Just don't see any light ahead at this point, and am having a very hard time with that.
Things are so hard everywhere right now and it is VERY hard to stay positive for sure! But we can get through this, the Covid 19 and fibro. Mine has been acting up for recently and I started doing the deep breathing techniques, that helps me alot through stressful times. I am trying to do it every day whether I feel I need it or not. I dramatically limit my viewing of news right now. I try to focus on just trying to live a normal as possible and follow all the stay at home orders etc. Deep breathes!! :)

I absolutely understand how you feel. I will have to agree that limiting your watching of all the news in the world needs to be limited, I went through this too, I began taking on the stresses of the world and it began to nearly ruin me. I've allowed myself to see updates 2 times per week for a total of ten minutes each time. That way I can only look over the few most important things and not get grabbed by every article that's attached, do the same if you can, I've learned over these last few years that nothing really changes that much over the days in between. I actually had to set my yahoo news to only positive news and man what a difference and bright light glimmer of hope that brought to me!! Try it! I've also spent time meditating and you can even find free apps that will walk you through all kinds of meditations, which calm every part of our being and those of us with Fibromyalgia need calm and peace more than anything else. Don't be afraid to keep reaching out like this, we are here. I still work fulltime from home, have 2 kids I have to stay on top of with "distance education " and a disabled hubby I have to get out of bed, I suppose I get overwhelmed a lot, but my dogs have been lifesavers, they truly live in the moment and calm me, do you have a dog? Truly wonderful sounding boards with all of my problems, they have goofy moments that cause me to laugh out loud, they seem to know that I need them, they cuddle up and dogs may shed a little bit that's just magical fibers of therapy. Hang in there, look towards positive news, especially for the time being, it will bring little rays of hope much needed. Meditate once per day, this in and of itself will be a game changer for so many. Get up and move around even if to 3 songs that move you (songs you love) every day, take the time to realize you are okay, safe, and needed. Find at least a few things to laugh at every day, even if silly videos, laughter as many know is the best medicine of all. Try to remember you can't change what's happening everywhere in the world, only what's happening in your world, and that is okay. Do some online tutorials with art, wire wrapping, anything that interests you and really admire what comes. Give yourself a break too, don't forget adding stress will only limit your mobility, focus on what you can do, what you can change, what's possible, nothing more for right now. Stay well, stay safe, and stay as positive as you can. <3

aww, thanks so much all of you who responded. Each post of yours is so helpful to me right now.

Longtimer.....you're right, if I think of Europe in WW2....hey, at least we are not being bombed. :) Stay calm and carry on may be a cliche but in times like this is good advice.

sodak, thanks for reminding me I am not alone even though at times it feels that way.

Sabrina, thanks for saying we will get through this.

Mtokarz, yes, I have dogs. Two of them and honestly they are lifesavers right now! I am going to try to see things through their eyes. dogs are experts at living in the moment and appreciating every little thing to the fullest. And you are right, if I can find even one or two things to laugh at every day that can help. Cute puppy videos on YouTube. And thanks for the reminder I can only change what is right in front of me, not the rest of the horror out there. Right here in my home it's not so bad. thanks so much for your words.

All of you, thanks a lot for being there. ♥♥

Hello everyone...I am new to this forum and reading all your stories makes me feel as if I'm not alone...
I've had fibromyalgia for 13 years and it got worse, with chronic migraines, which I get injections every 3 months,
hot flashes from menopause every 2 hours for 7 years, in which the hot flashes cause fibromyalgia pain and provoke headaches, insomnia, just developed Femoro patella and this is from climbing stairs and I can go on...
There are days where I just have a good cry and I think it helps..
Not sure if you have had comments from other people who see you and say , well you don't look sick, or it's in your head...frustrating...

The most difficult part for me is not to be the grandmother that I would like to be for my 1 yr old grandaughter and 3 1/2 yr old grandson.

I hope and keep on trying different natural products, try to move but not really successful so far..

Sorry for venting out..
Have a healthy day everyone!:)

Hey, you can vent here if you want to. We all need to do that at times. I find that for the last several years it has been constant effort on my part not to let the pain and fatigue get me down, and I mean really really down, into a black depression. I have been prone to depression all my life, and over the years learned to deal with it fairly successfully, not meaning I could control whether or not I was depressed, nor how deeply, but I could still function and act reasonably normal. These days, not being able to go out, having all the horror going on in the world, there's no way I can really contain it, so I am depressed all the time.

Going hiking has really helped me in the past, both physically and mentally, but now I don't think it's a good idea even to do that. there's no possible way to even get 4 feet from other people who pass you on the mountain trail, let alone 6 feet, and when people are breathing heavily it should be more like 10 feet, and better wear a mask. Not possible, so even that relief is not happening. I am struggling very hard just to remain human, and suspect I wouldn't really be except for my animals, who are always there needing me and loving me.

I wish you luck with the natural products. I never had one single positive result using natural things, and I tried them all. but that doesn't mean you won't! Every one is different, and something might help you that didn't help me. Best of luck to you...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back