Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
70/2010
Country
UK
State
Hertfordshire
Im in pain ,well that’s a lie im stiff ,im so stiff I may never move again lol.even my jaw is stiff .
My shoulders arms legs everywhere.
I want a cup of tea but that means moving .for me to much moving makes me stiff.Not moving makes me stiff .You can’t win.
Don’t get me wrong im in a cheerful mood .my sons coming over and I can’t wait to see him and my little granddaughter,just wish I could run around after her like I want to.I e been on this site many years old bag I am.so feel happy to have a moan here instead of to the family.
Since covid I have this horrid metal taste in my mouth and it’s numb like when you go to the dentist.so even eating isn’t fun much.

I am so sorry. I have days like that and it stinks. I really hope you feel better soon, Forgetmenot.

I am very sorry, I hope you will better soon.

I hear you on the numb mouth... my mouth is numb most of the time, as well as my feet, legs, arms, hands and face, its wonderful. Numbness, fatigue and brain fog are my main symptoms. Now, places that were numb, are becoming extremely sensitive/overwhelming to even the lightest touch. It's pretty frustrating not being able to taste things, or not really caring what you eat because you cant taste it properly anyways.
I am not diagnosed yet, but I started on duloxetine yesterday to see if it helps, so fingers crossed.

I hope you feel better soon and you start enjoying food again!

I hope you feel better. I hadn't read your post until now because of my procrastination. Sorry about that.

Im in pain ,well that’s a lie im stiff ,im so stiff I may never move again lol.even my jaw is stiff .
My shoulders arms legs everywhere.
I want a cup of tea but that means moving .for me to much moving makes me stiff.Not moving makes me stiff .You can’t win.
Don’t get me wrong im in a cheerful mood .my sons coming over and I can’t wait to see him and my little granddaughter,just wish I could run around after her like I want to.I e been on this site many years old bag I am.so feel happy to have a moan here instead of to the family.
Since covid I have this horrid metal taste in my mouth and it’s numb like when you go to the dentist.so even eating isn’t fun much.
Hope the stiffness goes away soon! I also bemoan the fact that I can’t run around after my grandson and play with him these days.
I was amazed to read that you have a metal taste in your mouth since Covid - it’s the only time I’ve read that someone else has it! Since I had a breakthrough case of Covid (had to be Delta) in August, I have had this horrible metal taste too. I don’t have the numbness, just the taste. It’s stronger and more noticeable when I am having a fibro flare (which is more often than not), and my doctor believes I have long Covid, too. I wonder why in the world the metal taste would last over six months? So strange.

I’ve no idea why is hangs about ,it’s a nightmare,I hate this stiffness

I’ve no idea why is hangs about ,it’s a nightmare,I hate this stiffness
I wasn't sure if you wanted an idea (if you mean the stiffness and not the metal taste after CoV :cool: ). In case you do:
As I'm one of the fibromites who is stiff all day, after staying in one position (incl. cycling!), and not just in the mornings, and have to unravel for up to 2 minutes, or I'll injure myself, I'm also been keen on finding the cause.
In my case - being as active as possible - I think the muscles tense up, i.e. shorten more than usual, as soon as they're not used. That also leads to the pain in the tendons, which then may feel like joint pain.
When we start moving again, or moving differently, they have to be stretched like a cat does. As humans don't normally need to, we're different, we can either stretch first or need to unravel and then hobble like old people.
That also fits to the fact that I have only found one help for it, aside from stretching before I get up - it's once again GABA, one of the amino acid neurotransmitters that increase serotonin, which relaxes all my muscles, voluntary and involuntary, which I don't have enough of, and that at the same time decreases dopamine and cortisol (for activity, fight/flight etc.), which I have too much of....
Another way I move to compensate for stiffness as well as fatigue is to use my arms to compensate for my legs, e.g. when I bend down and get up again, I spread my legs and lean on one knee, down and then feather myself up. That works when my arms are less stiff/fatigued than my legs at least.

Ty jay
I do the arm and legs when I get up.
But I will start to stretch more

start to stretch more
"Twist-stretching" arms & legs outwards and inwards and back backwards every "few" minutes or when necessary, but especially before starting to move again can save injuries and minimize the unravelling time. If something "cracks" while doing it, that's a good sign (and also proves "it's real").

I appreciate what you folks say about stiffness. I have what I feel is abormal stiffness, too. I notice especially when moving after being "set" in one place - desk, bed, or a lower seat and I try to move. Even turning in bed. Sometimes this is a huge effort and I move very awkwardly, like an 80-year-old till I walk it out. Embarrassing to say the least. But it's life! My doctor says to stretch. I am fairly flexible but I thought, why not. So I already reach for the massager mornings before I am out of bed, working on achy spots. Now I get up and am trying to work on a little stretching but it hasn't become routine yet. I hope it helps. Jay's suggestion of getting down and up is very hard - I try never to do that or I have to physically lean on something or push myself up. I am overweight but it's not a normal response, I can tell. It's the muscles not working right. Thank you guys.

I havent' been online in a little while because I had surgery for a meniscus tear and was in a fair amount of pain with swelling the previous three months to that. I am doing really well knee-wise now, though. So that's something.

Sometimes this is a huge effort and I move very awkwardly, like an 80-year-old till I walk it out. Embarrassing to say the least. But it's life!
Same here, but actually working at not finding it embarrassing: At last part of what I suffer is visible, and I can refer to it ans say: that's just a small part of it, and by far not the worst!
Jay's suggestion of getting down and up is very hard - I try never to do that or I have to physically lean on something or push myself up.
I think I do exactly what you're saying?: I use one of my knees to physically lean on and to push up from, often with both hands/arms.
I'm talking about when we haven't got anything else. If it's possible with something else, isn't it possible with our knees?
Maybe it's just the "feathering" that isn't (always?) possible? Or haven't I got you yet?
If I can't feather, I (sometimes quickly) move my hands upward, one after the other.
There are lots of youtube videos for people who find getting up difficult, e.g. "How to Get Up and Down from the Floor The spiral"
They are often not quite suitable for us, but no matter: Situations are different and we can adapt creatively.
doing really well knee-wise now
Good to hear this progress! :cool:

Last edited:
I'm trying! 🧐 :cool: But I can't feel much difference whether I use the floor, my sofa or my knee. So maybe we mean the same.
Again: I do exactly like the guy in the video, just put my hands on the knee that's up if I haven't got a chair etc.
Or rather, worst case:
  • On knees, hands to the front,
  • pull my right leg forward with my right hand (praps leaning towards forward left),
  • place right hand on right knee,
  • swing (from the shoulder) left hand and arm so hand lands on right knee,
  • slide hands to the sides so weight is on my elbows,
  • lean forwards, push up from left toes,
  • slide hands back so weight is on hands,
  • push up at once or bit by bit - voilà. Speed variable ... and trainable....
Easiest is my sofa, because it's soft and I can use rebound effects, whether on my way up or down.
I've also just realized I often use my elbows instead of hands, esp. if my arms are weak or I just need to save energy / keep pain low.
My youtube algorithm re-shows me as one of the next videos "How to get up from the floor McGyver style".
Found that one a year ago, it's great for ideas.

You may not believe it 🤠, but yes, I do know what port-a-bras, or I know it as port de bras, is... and I'm still pretty flexible too...
However it's taken a few months to be able to sit cross-legged again for 15' (unravelling then takes 2-3') and I've never been able to do the splits, but I've been doing those kinds of stretches again so my groin allows me to put on socks and shoes standing, I like those kind of daily exercises....

As to these movements seeming awkward/stupid - I train to do them fast, elegant and above all: self-confidently.
I feel a bit like a trapeze artist (esp. when I use rebounds) combined with a clown.
When my wife is looking I end on a self-ironic "ta-daaaa" with posture. That's all in the mind. :D
Now I have to invent something for the shuffling I'm having to do a lot: choo-choo-train isn't stylish enough - maybe skating? Hmm, no, if that were skating it'd be the opposite of elegant. Or combine it with a bit of a salsa hip swing? :LOL:

The twist-stretching I use to decrease my often severe stiffness is 10-20'' in fifth (or fourth) position, with arms in "open fifth" (arms upwards outwards), and back backwards, then feet the other way round, and if necessary downwards inwards (like Petrushka) and repeat. If necessary even lying down, one foot over the other, tip to heel.

Last edited:
Yeah, the video and deleted post were clearer. It showed a PT link. I cannot get up one knee at a time, even with hands on the knee. Only if I pull myself up or lean heavily on furniture. This was the case earlier but especially now with my left meniscus healing, I have to go from sitting to getting my legs almost kneeling (left one cannot take pressure now) to standing with the help of me pushing on the floor with my hands. So I am basically touching the floor in front of my feet with my palms and then I roll up the the back and stand up. In case that helps. I am a wreck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back