Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
07/2007
Country
US
State
Rhode Island
I have been having pain in the bottom of my head that radiates to my head. My shoulders hurt at the same time. I only seem to get this when I stand up fast. Has anyone experience these symptons?

No, but are you sure it is fibromyalgia? I don't want to scare you, but it might as well mean that you have 100 other conditions.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, but are you sure it is fibromyalgia? I don't want to scare you, but it might as well mean that you have 100 other conditions.

I don't feel it's a good idea to throw scares around like this [mentioning cancer] without a thought of the terror it could create.

True that it could be many things... I personally get it when my ear/head is clogged up from allergies and/or sinus drainage. Could be blood pressure, or blood sugar issues. I may be alone on this, but cancer is an alarmist word and it strikes fear where there are already enough health concerns.

Last edited by a moderator:
Could be as simple as getting your head back squarely over your shoulders. If you hunch over at all or crane your neck to see a computer screen, you can experience shoulder and neck pain as well as the headache up the back of your head. I have had this type headache. A simple exercise: do the chicken. Hold your head up straight and move your head backwards to tension. Hold, release and move your head forward keeping chin straight. You can also do this by lying on the floor and pushing your head back and down into the floor. This is meant to realign muscles to hold your head in its proper position.

You might also be slightly compressing a nerve in your cervical spine when you shift position if it stops after you stand. Again this might be from misalignment.

I'd check with your doc before you get freaked. Good luck.

Pat

Definitely go see a chiropractor! That is the first place to start, because that kind of neck and head pain is very often from subluxations in your spine. And yes, you will need multiple visits. It is like going to the gym, where going once doesn't do much, but if you go regularly you get amazing results.

I also recommend light yoga, or at least full body stretching. Get blood in your muscles.

If you need more help than these, I have had wonderful results from acupuncture and massage. Both can aliviate blockages that cause the pain, but if it is a chiropractic issue then they won't fix your issue. One cheap option to try in conjunction with chiropractic care is an acupressure mat. They are about $20-30, and amazon sell them. You just lay on it. It can be very intense, way more intense than acupuncture, but it does relieve pain.

It does sound more like an issue due to the way you are holding your head, neck, shoulders and back.

I have to stop what I am doing and stretch out my neck, back and shoulders frequently or the muscles feel frozen and it hurts to move. At the very least, I do head rolls every couple of minutes and make sure I am not slouching.

It sounds like you should really see a doctor. Regardless of what it may be you should really get it checked out by a professional.

Omg I was just gonna create a post like this. Yesterday I had a terrible ache on my lower left head in the back like behind the ear. It hurt for hours and when I touched it it killed! I also get dizzy when I stand up fast. I mentioned it to my gp before I got diagnosed with fibromyalgia from my neurologist. He took blood and ran a whole bunch of tests that all came back ok. But ya it freaked me out . Now I want to call him to ask what kind of tests he ran. Can they pick up cancer and blood clots in the blood?

Go to a doctor. I've said earlier and I'll keep saying it. There are 100 more complications that are related to head pains! You can even have a migrane.

Wow at the guy who mentioned cancer, woah... he/she doesn't know a single thing about medicine... that is fine, what isn't fine is suggesting such a thing! You don't have the medical training to do so, specially only, cheesh...!

Creolena: Don't worry. I had the same issue some days ago, it was mostly because of my migraines. It's common to get that kind of pain when you suffer from migraines. If you haven't suffered from this before, then you should really go see a neurologist. Actually that kind of pain, specially the one behind the head and is accompanied by neck and shoulder pain is often caused by tension. There are soooo many different things that could be causing your headaches, and I'm happy to tell you that cancer is rarely the source of that, so don't take what that guy/girl said; he/she has no idea what the heck she/he is talking about. Just go see your neurologist. If he asks you to get a MRI of your head done then go for it, don't accept a CT scan tho; too much radiation and in most of the cases a MRI is far better (specially when we are talking about the head).

Wow at the guy who mentioned cancer, woah... he/she doesn't know a single thing about medicine... that is fine, what isn't fine is suggesting such a thing! You don't have the medical training to do so, specially only, cheesh...!

Creolena: Don't worry. I had the same issue some days ago, it was mostly because of my migraines. It's common to get that kind of pain when you suffer from migraines. If you haven't suffered from this before, then you should really go see a neurologist. Actually that kind of pain, specially the one behind the head and is accompanied by neck and shoulder pain is often caused by tension. There are soooo many different things that could be causing your headaches, and I'm happy to tell you that cancer is rarely the source of that, so don't take what that guy/girl said; he/she has no idea what the heck she/he is talking about. Just go see your neurologist. If he asks you to get a MRI of your head done then go for it, don't accept a CT scan tho; too much radiation and in most of the cases a MRI is far better (specially when we are talking about the head).
I was trying to point out that it doesn't have to be fibromyalgia. There are other diseases as well and she can only find out by going to a doctor and getting a diagnosis.

Yes, please take note that head pain can be caused by many different conditions. Migraines and sinus headaches, ear infections, strained neck or shoulder, or back muscles, pinched nerves to name a few. Don't expect the worse possible thing and get worked up over nothing. Sometimes other members get overly excited in trying to help and might say the wrong thing. No one here thinks you have cancer. Just try using cool cloths or a heating pad on the area. Rest in a dark room and avoid bright lights, and take sinus medication if things do not improve. And visit your doctor as soon as you can to ease your mind. If you had something serious your doctor's tests would have picked up on in and he would have told you.

Fibro causes weird symptoms that mimic serious diseases and I have been scared a few times as well, but found out later it was just not the case. If things don't improve over time see your doctor again. As not all things are caused by fibro. You can come down with other day-to-day illnesses too. Hope this eases your mind. :)

There is no other way of finding out except going to a doctor and getting a diagnosis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back