Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
12/2015
Country
US
State
FL
I'm just curious, I've had GERD since I was a teenager, but my heartburn stays out of control despite diet and meds. Does anyone else have this problem? I just had an endoscopy in January, nothing to write home about. Any advice that's off the beaten path?

One commonly used medicine to heal heartburn is calcium. It is the active principle in most acids. If you overuse antacids, you may have gastrointestinal reflux disease (GERD). There isn't much research on herbal remedies. One product which has been researched and shows alot of promise is Iberogast reduces heart burn. Melatonin also reduces heartburn.

Be careful, you could have one of those rare rolling hiatus hernias. They are incredibly hard to catch on an endoscopy, I know because they did once (had a lot heartburn at the time) ,but I've had several endoscopies since then and nothing. So I never got that fixed, but I still get that odd pain in the middle of my ribs... as well as heartburn from time to time.

There is also a chance you suffer from IBS... a lot fibro suffered have that (I do too), one of the things IBS can cause is heartburn. Whatever you do don't use meds like omeaprozole, that med actually made it worse for me. Plus if you use it long term you might be calcium deficient.

Have you tried to see if sleeping in a sitting position helps? When is your heartburn worse?

Thanks guys, I'm upping my calcium, I've been on hb meds for over 30 years!!! Even as a child My parents couldn't bribe me with ice cream to get me to do dairy. So calcium could be a problem again. I do have ibs and unfortunately I can't really fall asleap if I'm sitting up. Thought I had a hernia back in December but the ER Doctor said no.
Remnant, I'm going to look into ibrogast. I used to take melatonin to help with sleep but quit because it wasn't helping, I might add it back, I just take so many supplements if something isn't helping I quit it.
Thanks again guys. I REALLY hope calcium is the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back