Hello All

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kimberlie04

Reason
Undiagnosed
Diagnosis
12/2014
Hi All. About 8 years ago I started getting extreme pain in my hands and feet. The pain in my neck, knees, hips, back etc I attributed to car accidents I had when I was younger. I have always had severe fatigue. My GP at the time took a look at me and said it was Neuropathy and did not pursue any type of testing. Last year a new GP sent me for tests with a Neurologist. Everything came back negative. Lately I have been having a lot of 'bad' days. My knees, hips, shoulders, ankles, fingers etc hurt and I have a horrible burning sensation on my skin. Everything is inflamed and hurts including my face. I have IBS and Rosacea I also suffer from migraines with Aura. About a month ago I had a severe migraine and could not lift my head. I have an appointment with my new GP next month. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Hi Kimberlie04,

Welcome to the forum. You must be thinking you might have fibromyalgia or you wouldn't be here. And from what you say, it's a possibility. But there are several other possibilities as well. Arthritis, MS, ALS, Lyme disease, lupus, and others. It is always best to get tested as best you can for all of those other things before accepting a diagnosis of fibromyalgia.

As for input, I advise you not to go into the doctor's appointment saying you might have or do have fibromyalgia. Instead just list your symptoms, but keep it brief and only list the symptoms that are the most troubling to you, the most painful. Sometimes a doctor will dismiss a patient who lists a whole lot of things. And be very calm and unemotional with the doctor no matter what or they might not take you seriously. Ask what the doc thinks would be causing all of this, and ask to be tested for the things that might cause it.

Sometimes doctors don't "believe in" fibromyalgia, even today when everyone should know it's very real. This is why I suggest you not mention it at first.

One other thing: if they give you a pressure point test to determine if you have fibro or not, they are displaying severe ignorance of fibromyalgia and you'd probably be better off with a different doctor. This is because that "test" was debunked a long time ago, and was never an accurate diagnostic test for fibro.

Best of luck to you, and feel welcome to come back with questions, requests for support, and updates. We're here for y ou if you want us to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back