Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
04/2010
Country
US
State
PA
I was diagnosed about 5 years ago by a rheumatologist, but still not completely convinced I have FM. In the very beginning, I saw an ENT doctor for trouble swallowing, she did blood work and, after solving my swallowing problem, sent me to rheum. because my sed rate was very high. Rheum. said my symptoms of pain in legs and shoulders and stiffness sounded like FM but that didn't go along with the high sed rate, but I guess that could be due to some arthritis. however the pain I have is not really in many joints. He gave me different pain meds and muscle relaxants which helped little. After these 5 years, I transferred my care to my PCP as he's closer to home and has experience treating FM. He changed my pain med and on my own I stopped the muscle relaxant. Pain pills have helped a little but I'm sick and tired of the constipation that comes along with those. They told me to try Colace but it hasn't made much difference and I don't want to use laxatives too often. So now, without asking my doctor, I'm thinking about weaning down the pain pills and trying to find other options over the counter. Does anyone have any suggestions for me? BTW, I'm 60 years old and, other than this supposed FM, some arthritis, pain in my face due to trigeminal neuralgia, otherwise in good health. Is FM treatable with over the counter supplements, vitamins, etc.? Thank you for your input and I'm sorry I got a little wordy.

Hi summy.its ture a lot of Dr label ppl with fibro when they can't find anything else. But fibro is diffrent for everyone .i don't have the trigger points and refused to beilive my dr for months.but I have a flu like feeling all the time. Leg pain shoulder pain hands feet and neck. I take fibrogel to help me go to the toilet.its not a lax med its just fiber in a packet u mix with water. And it really helps as like u and many others pills stop me going.
As for vitamins there's lots but none ive had has helped. Only vit D have u had that checked if it's low it will make your pain worse, and nearly all ppl with fibro have low vit D.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back