Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
03/2009
Country
US
State
TX
I am a Fibro fighter. I was diagnosed in 2009 when my kids were only 2 and 3 years old. At the time, I was in my mid-20's. I tried the traditional approach to treating this illness with all the drugs that my docs prescribed. They made me worse and worse to the point that I was completely incapable of caring for myself. In late 2010, I decided to try fighting fibro without the drugs. I was taking over 13 drugs and 3 bio-identical hormones. Now, I have my Adderall for my ADD and a prescription for Vicodin for my migraines. But I take the two drugs sparingly on an as-needed basis. My goal over the past 4 years has been to treat this disease from a holistic approach. I completely changed my lifestyle, my diet (I'm a vegetarian now), and I mainly rely upon naturopathic remedies. I've accepted my diagnosis, I've moved beyond the depression (about 98% of the time), and I've learned to have a full life again. It will never be the way it was, but its gotten so much better than back in 2009. I'm starting to feel more normal now. I've started my first blog to discuss treating Fibro holistically and with a gentle naturopathic method. And I've now found a happy place in my life where I have the energy and the desire to connect with other Fibro folks. I want to hear their stories, I want to help, I want to connect with others who battle this same disease.
Can't wait to meet new people in the Fibro community!

Last edited by a moderator:
Your story is uplifting. I was diagnosed just this year and have a five year old son, but he is more like a three year old. He is the sweetest ball of energy. We both have ADHD. Right now I am on 9 different medications and still feel horrible. I cannot IMAGINE how I would feel if I came off of the drugs all together, but I do not want to keep poisoning my body like this. At most, I would like to keep myself on the Cymbalta and Lyrica. I can try to come off of the rest, but I believe I would still need the Adderall and something for migraines. I would love to know how you did it, although becoming a vegetarian does not sound very appealing to me, I would definitely alter my diet!

By the way, I have cousins who live in College Station, how funny!

Thanks for the reply, MEgersheim!

I am so sorry to hear your struggles! But I know that it does your heart well to have a wonderful little boy in your life to keep you going! I have ADD and also take Adderall. Of all the 13+ drugs I was once taking, I now only take the Adderall and I have a prescription for Vicodin that I take as needed for Migraines. I once took Cymbalta and Lyrica, too. I slowly weaned myself off the drugs one at a time. It wasn't easy. But I didn't like feeling like a zombie. So, I was determined to do it. I discovered that I knew myself better than I thought I did. I worked with my family and was honest with them. When I stopped taking the Cymbalta (had used it for post-partum depression and pain management), my hubby thought the world would fall apart around us. But it didn't. I acknowledged my behavior on the days I felt bad and a little crazy. I made an effort to communicate that to those around me while I was transitioning off the drugs. I asked for forgiveness and patience. And thankfully they agreed. I coordinated the removal of drugs with my team of doctors. I started going to a team of doctors in Dallas which focus on treating Fibro from a more natural perspective. The clinic was once called Fibro and Fatigue Center, but is now called Chronicity. I did my research on replacing the drugs with supplements and vitamins. I highly recommend reading Dr. Teitelbaum's book "From Fatigue to Fantastic". The Dallas clinic uses the steps in that book, so you can get the same results without going to the clinic. And the diet change was really a personal decision. Many Fibro patients choose to go Gluten Free instead of Vegan or Vegetarian. I recommend doing your own research and making your own informed diet decisions. Pick a dietary change that is realistic for you and one that isn't a fad diet, but more like a lifestyle change you can keep to. I hope this info helps! And good luck.
-Gentle Hugs!

Hey Everyone! I was reading both of your stories and they are both uplifting and informative. I was diagnosed just this year with fibromyalgia, osteoarthritis, hyper-mobility disorder and underlined muscular dystrophy disorder. I am taking cymbalta, a muscle relaxer to help me sleep and an anti-inflammatory medicine for my arthritis. My fatigue and pain are horrible, I wake up everyday stiff and in pain. I am 27 and I don't have any kids if you don't count a fluffy little 4 legged pomeranian who gets me through the day! I have a couple books on fibromyalgia and have been doing research, but I don't know many people who really understand what I'm going through so it's nice to have people to talk to!

Hi Corey.Rae! I am so happy you found us on the Fibromyalgia Forum! Welcome! It sounds like you have many different diagnosis that you are dealing with along with the Fibro. I would highly recommend looking into taking Curamin for the inflammation. There is scientific research showing that this all-natural supplement helps with arthritis as well as Fibro and many other diseases. It may be a good thing to add to daily intake that isn't harmful to your body. I just completed a book review on my blog which discussed Curcumin (the main ingredient in Curamin) and all its helpful benefits. If you are currently doing some independent reading and research on Fibro, then you may want to look into that one. It is a daily supplement that I take and it really is amazing how much of a difference it makes.

The name of the book I recommend is "Curcumin: The 21st Century Cure":

Link Not Allowed On Forum.

Hope this helps a little! I wish you the best! ~Gentle Hugs!~

Last edited by a moderator:
I was wondering if you would like to meet sometime with me FibroFighter.

Hi Corey.Rae! I am so happy you found us on the Fibromyalgia Forum! Welcome! It sounds like you have many different diagnosis that you are dealing with along with the Fibro. I would highly recommend looking into taking Curamin for the inflammation. There is scientific research showing that this all-natural supplement helps with arthritis as well as Fibro and many other diseases. It may be a good thing to add to daily intake that isn't harmful to your body. I just completed a book review on my blog which discussed Curcumin (the main ingredient in Curamin) and all its helpful benefits. If you are currently doing some independent reading and research on Fibro, then you may want to look into that one. It is a daily supplement that I take and it really is amazing how much of a difference it makes.

The name of the book I recommend is "Curcumin: The 21st Century Cure":

Link Not Allowed On Forum.

Hope this helps a little! I wish you the best! ~Gentle Hugs!~

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back