Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
02/2010
Country
US
State
OH
I am new to this forum. I have been dealing with symptoms of fibromyalgia for several years but the past year has been horrible. Two years ago I was active and working. I could clean, take daily showers, plant a garden, walk. I've had back issues for years and was always able to manage things with chiropractic care. That is until I "blew a disc" that pressed against my spinal chord. Easy fix right? Well, THAT pain is gone but my body absolutely rebelled with muscle aches and I lost my ability to walk or stand for more than a minute. And then....my knee decided to break down. So, for the past year I have been using a cane (or walker when I really can't move), my showers are every other day with me sitting on the side of my tub, the only chore I can handle is sweeping my small front room area. I can't shop. I can't play with my grandchildren. I can't do my yard or garden. I can't go anywhere that requires walking. I am stuck in my house! I was an orchestra teacher always on the move. I am now a slug. My husband is beyond frustrated with me. I never go out with friends anymore. I am miserable. Just miserable. I am waiting to get a total knee replacement in the next few weeks. What will happen with my fibro then? I am 51 and much too young for this life. I don't even know what to do anymore.

Hi JeNee,
Welcome. You will find this a safe, supportive, very freeing place to be.
I get you. We all can relate to your story at some level. Please don't feel alone. Each of us sharing our stories gives us strength and courage. I feel awful that you have had to experience any of what you've described.
It's a scary time for you. I can hear the panic rising in your voice. There are very kind, helpful people on here so visit often. It will help keep you sane.
One thing I found that made me feel better about my life when I couldn’t find work, was to volunteer for the American Cancer Society as a driver coordinator. Perhaps it might help. I like to talk to people so calling to ask volunteers to drive was no big deal but after 4 years, I had to quit bc the amount of typing required got to be too much. I was showing signs of fibro or OA but didn't know it yet. These days you can Google voice activated typing programs and find lots of different ones. I have also become an advocate for hot showers, tub baths and foot baths. Sounds like you could take a shower and a foot bath at the same time. Oh! I forgot to mention the best part, Lavender Epsom Salts and.Clary Sage oil. I figure even a foot soak with those 2 items have got to help some. They are both good for relaxation and relieving stress. Plus the lavender also helps to relieve pain. I worry about you sitting on the edge of your tub. I wonder if you could pick up a bathtub chair somewhere cheap?
Best wishes for a peaceful night.

Hi Jenee,,,Cheryl Ann is right we can all identify with you. I am 55 and feel just like you. I could have written your story as i was also extremely active and would garden from morning until it was dark in my pre fibro days.

Like you i have had fibro for a a few years but the last 6 months to a year have been much much worse. I think that is when we turn to forums like this.

There are lots of nice people who offer support.

I am praying for you to have better days ahead,

Hi JeNee, so sorry to here of your struggle. I'm hoping once your knee is better you can get mobile again. It's so important to our physical as well as mental health. Go into this surgery in a positive state of mind. I'm sure it's not really optional so try and make lemonade out of lemons. May you only get better from here! Visualize your brand new spiffy knee as a shiny new spring. You'll be up and bouncing in no time. Can't hurt...might help. Where the mind goes the body follows.

This post has 2 parts to it.
First I want to say Hi to Chexmix. Hey :)
Welcome to you. You may possibly have been a part of this forum and support group longer than I have but if it says new member I just have to say hi and welcome.
I also wanted to reinforce what you said to JeNee about visualization. My thoughts are: if you believe in it, it will work. There have been studies on it. If you're interested , the Internet is the best place to go.
I'm pretty creative I think, especially when solving problems with something hands on. Not only do they help you believe in this method, it gives you something fun to do and help take your mind off your troubles. An idea that sort of developed while I was typing up this post is to make a sort of scrapbook. Please keep reading, ok? Perhaps start out with a picture of your knee now and maybe a pic of your smiling face. The next pages coud be picture of a "normal" knee(maybe before your struggle and/or from a magazine?) a pic of a knee that has successfully healed from that kind of operation. A pic of a knee - maybe your knee w/out inflammation. Also put in pics of things you will do but put them as goals, listing them in order of least activity level to ever increasing activity levels as you heal. And anything else that you think of that will help you visualize a positive outcome. Writing, drawing, getting copies of x-rays -before and after. How about a positive letter to yourself? Make it your own. Use color or fabric or whatever. I think it would take a little while to finish it giving you something purposeful to do. When you've completed it, take another pic of your smiling face. I wonder if there will be a change in the curve of your smile and a lighter look in your eyes. I thought of not saying that last part but I believe that you won't be able to hide it bc it will be natural.
Anyway, in doing this type of visualization exercise it may relieve some stress, give you a better outlook, perhaps decrease the chance of a flare-up or at least it may be less intense.
I hope this idea is helpful and something you could be interested in.
Best wishes for a peaceful night.

My Dear Fibro friend,
Your note said you don't know what to do. What doing do you need? Delegate?
I'm sorry please don't despair there is hope.

Great post Cheryl Ann wish you were my neighbour!

Willow, You sound like a great person! I wish we could be neighbors too!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back