Not open for further replies.

jep1978

Reason
Relative
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
My mother is 74 years old and has been living with fibromyalgia/polymyalgia (fatigue more-so than pain) for about 25 years. Throughout that time, she has been seen by a prominent rheumatologist in her area, who is now nearing retirement. My mother has needed to stay on prednisone (12 mg) to control inflammation (sed rate), and this seems effective for her.

Her rheumatologist also prescribes a whole laundry list of supplements for her to take. I asked her if she ever noticed any of them helping when she added them to her routine, and she said no, but she continues to dutifully take them. I am increasingly concerned that with so many supplements to keep track of, she may get confused and forget to take a prescription medication or take the wrong dose (in addition to the daily burden and cost to her).

She is currently taking these over-the-counter products:
Aspirin
AREDS 2 (Vitamin C, Vitamin E, Zinc, Copper, Titanium, Lutein, Zeaxanthin) [for eyes]
Calcium/Magnesium/Zinc
Magnesium Malate
CQ10
DHEA
Evening Primrose
Garlic
Glucosamine
L-Carnitine
Omega 3
Probiotic
Pycnogenol
Rhodiola Force
Vitamin B Complex
Vitamin B1
Vitamin C
Vitamin D-3
Zyflamend

Many but not all of these are supposedly to help her fibromyalgia/polymyalgia. I am wondering whether medical research really supports the effectiveness of these supplements for these conditions. At minimum, I’d like to advise my mother to ask her rheumatologist which few supplements would be the most important to keep taking. But I have to admit, I suspect a lot of this stuff is useless or worse, and it’s tempting to suggest that she gradually eliminate the least promising supplements, paying attention to whether she feels any worse each time she cuts one. I am not an expert, but as a biology professor I’m not the least informed either.

What do you think? I truly welcome any informed opinion.

I'm a big fan of the Magnesium with Calcium and Zinc. It really helps with the muscles, especially cramping.
I also take the Vitamin B Complex, it helps with the Nervous System. The Vitamin D3 is helpful as well. It helps relieve pain. I also take the Fish Oil and I use the powder form of Glucosamine.
I know that these do work for me. If it works than its better than a lot of prescribed meds and the side effects. I'm sure some of what you listed can be eliminated though.

That is a lot of supplements and it looks like there are some duplicates in there. Certainly the aspirin, magnesium and the vitamin B's are keepers. Maybe a good multivitamin would cover off the other vitamins she's on. I don't know enough about the other ones to have an opinion. Evening primrose I use for hot flashes. Maybe some could be worked in through diet? (I know, easier said than done, but maybe the garlic.)

It is a very long list and I can sure see what you would be concerned. I wonder if she just didn't stop taking some of them, but was supposed to, when new ones were introduced? Certainly there are side effects with everything. I would definitely talk to her doctor.

A note about Magnesium. It has to be in the "chelated form." I believe I spelled that right. I think Mag Citrate is the chelated form, but still researching it. If it is not, it will not be absorbed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back