Sophiexx

Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
09/2019
Country
UK
hi everyone

I just wanted to see if anyone has any ideas about how to get people to realise im poorly and someone pushing past me feels likes a punch and this is happening weekly and because we look well people seem to think its not an issue to push past or walk into u and I suffer for the rest of that day if not longer. I feel defeated and I'm starting to think I shouldn't even leave the house. I am 30 years of age and I'm shocked at how ppl treat others. HELP

I am not sure how to do that but I try to be careful about being around other people for the same reason. But I don't know that it's possible to get other people to recognize that. But it makes me wonder about you getting a guide dog or something that would make people notice that you are somehow needing extra assistance?

Unfortunately, it's impossible to let everyone out in the world know not to bump you. I know what you are dealing with because I have that problem as well, not every day but on some days the lightest bump that normally I wouldn't even notice will cause extreme pain. My solution is on those days I try not to go anywhere, and if I have to I become super self-defensive in that I make great effort not to come too near to anyone. Of course, if it is people you know, you can tell them this is not a good time to touch you.

I have a good friend who has osteogenesis imperfecta, and a hand shake can break all the bones in her hand. She simply says to everyone, "I break easily" and offers distance hand shakes.

Of course, these days it's easier to avoid other people than ever.

I just want to address the mention of a guide dog that Affinity made. Service dogs fall into a narrow definition in order to be legitimate, and that is not something for which one could legally use a service dog. Also be aware that even if you actually have a disorder that allows you to use a service dog, it takes months or even a couple of years to properly train a service dog, and if you cannot do it yourself you are looking at many thousands of dollars to have one trained for you.

However, maybe you could carry a cane? Even if you don't need one, it would signal to others that you fall into the "not physically hardy" category.
Might be worth a try.

When I'm not feeling well & up to crowds & bumpers, so mostly, I don't hide my pain or fog over my weakness, I keep to the sides, walk slowly, pause, remember to do small relaxing or stretching exercises, allowing myself to flinch, put my hood over my head, walk (& cycle) 'defensively', let people pass, outside and esp. on stairs... Not submissively, but graciously; praps as if I were 80, which I sometimes am... ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back