DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
11/2004
Country
UK
State
Somerset
Hi
My name is Dee and Jai is my beautiful long haired German Shepherd he is 8 years old. I have had Fibromyalgia since a young child but I noticed from the age of 10 and then as it hit my teens the pain started to get harder to keep under control. I was 7 years old when my periods but it wasn't noticed for a year before the nuns took me to see a doctor. By the time I was in mid to late teens I was struggling badly with pain but it didn't stop me doing a job that I loved working with horses.

After I left that job I went and worked in the catering trade which wasn't a good idea but that was the only job I could do. From 1990 - 1995 I had six operations to cysts from my ovaries and in 1993 I lost my left tube and ovary but it didn't stop my periods being a pain. At the age of 16 my period lasted 6 months and a doctor told me that was normal which I know that isn't normal to bleed for that long. After that they were every 21 days until I was in my mid 30's and then they would last for 10 days and 10 days off.

I did many manual jobs before I had to stop working because of the pain and the serve depression I was suffering in August 2000. At the time I was also living in a homeless hostel as my youngest brother had kicked me out in July as he had asked me to move in with him and his girl friend as it help with the rent. In November 2000 I moved again for the third time in one year. My pain levels got a lot worse over the next 8 months if I tried to do any walking I would be in so much pain I would be in bed for the rest of the week. In July 2001 I started using a wheelchair which meant that I could do more, I rented a chair until January 2002 when I got a chair from NHS but that chair didn't last as it was used so much as I lived on a steep hill which I would push down.

My next chair was a better chair as it was fixed frame chair meant that it was easier to push as it took less energy to use. In 2005 I got my first powered wheelchair but it wasn't that great as it would slide everywhere and also it hadn't been measured correctly so it meant that it made my pain worse. In March 2006 I got Jai as an 8 week old puppy as I got him because he was going to be my assistance dog but in the end the charity couldn't find us a trainer so he is just a pet dog now. He has helped with my depression improved once I got him as I classed him as my mental health support dog.

I did a pain management course in April 2003 which I found helpful but due to them demanding that I walked to the hospital from the accommodation which was only 40 meters away. I spent the whole 4 weeks in spasm every 10 seconds 24/7 which was horrible. It took another 3 months before my spasms got less and less. I still use some of the things that I was taught especially when I am in a lot of pain. In 2004 I moved to my current home which had been adapted for someone in a wheelchair. I have been here nearly 10 years now. My ability to walk has got a lot worse over the last 10 years. Currently I have been told my doctor to limit the amount of walking because I have a problem with pain in the heels of my feet.

In February 2013 I was diagnosed with Sleep Apnoea and then I received my Auto Positive Airway Pressure, it has helped a bit but not as much as I had hoped. On 18 February I had a full sleep study to see if I have central sleep apnoea as well. There has been research that shows that at least 80% of people Fibromyalgia have sleep apnoea so I would advice to ask you GP to check it out as some people find once the are getting treated their condition can improve.
Dee

Hi Dee! Welcome to the forum! I'm so sorry you have gone thru a lot, developing at such an early age can't be easy... you had a difficult start, I hope you now have a more comfortable life and a good place where to live, because I know what is like to be homeless and penniless (I had a tough start too). I truly hope you are doing better now, having a nice place to live and some stability does wonder to our emotional being!

I hope to see you around here often you sound like such a strong and positive person and we definitely need more people like you here! By the way, what kind of cysts did you have? I get cysts in my ovaries because of PCOS often as well, but they usually disappear after using Diane 35 for a while.

Take care and best of luck! I'm soooo looking forward to reading your future posts :)

Lol, from one newbie fibromite to another, hi and welcome to this forum. Sounds like you had been through a lot. I hope that sharing some of your issues will help you somehow and things are going to be looking up soon. I also am looking forward to your posts. Take care :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back