DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
01/2016
Country
CA
State
British Columbia
Hi,

I am a relatively new member, but must confess I read a lot of posts without commenting. I finally decided to say hi, and ask a question that I have not seen on the forums.

Diagnosed 3 years ago, with Osteoarthritis and Fibromyalgia. I see my doctor about every 6 months, as we live 2.5 hours away. I'll be seeing him on Tuesday and hoping to have a better appointment. Usually, he just gives me a 6-month prescription and that's it, but I don't say much to engage anymore conversation.

What is the best approach to discussing symptoms? Reporting whats in my pain diary, discussing specific issues of the last couple of days, discussing general issues? I'm not sure where to start, and want to be sure to make the most of my time with him.

Really appreciate any help.
Cheers!

Hi marenloree,

welcome to the forum.
the place no one wants to be.

And by the way, I love Vancouver Island.
As for your question, my experience is that the best thing to do is to have a list made up for yourself of the things that you most want to discuss. That might be any of the things you mention, or all, or even none. For instance, your most recent experiences might be mild pain in your arms, but the thing that is really bothering you is the severe back pain you have had, even though you haven't had it recently. Or the most pressing issue might be the medication you are on.

I make my list in the order of importance to me in case it takes too long and the doctor cuts me short. That way, at least the most important one or two things get discussed and addressed. I try to be very succinct in how I describe things, as well, using the fewest words I can that will adequately describe what is going on. Most doctors appreciate that, as they often have patients who ramble on long stories and complaints without getting to the point quickly and that wastes time.

I also go in there very calm, and never get emotional when discussing what is going on. Just the facts, ma'am.

Since you see your doctor so infrequently, maybe he or she would let you exchange one or 2 emails during the month if you have an issue on which you don't want to wait? Some will....might be worth asking, letting her or him know that you won't abuse it.
best of luck

Thanks so much for your response. I really appreciate it, and was able to have a much better appointment with my Dr. Started off by telling him that since I only see him twice a year I needed to make the most of it.

Long story short, we made changes to my meds and going to update my blood work. Its really nice to feel like we have a plan now to help me manage my health.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back