Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
03/2014
Country
US
State
KY
Hello, my name is Bernadette. I am 17 and I was just diagnosed with FM about 6 weeks ago. I am a senior in high school and will be graduating in 6 weeks.

I am currently having a lot of problems focusing on things. I spend way too much time watching a TV show that I am currently obsessed with and not enough time working on my school work. My best friend is constantly telling me that I should be working on homework, but I find when I sit down and try to work on it, I can't focus at all. He says I just need the motivation to do it. My fear of failing the year should be motivation enough, but it just doesn't seem to work. I don't know why I can't focus, although I do know it is symptom of FM. Does anyone have any suggestions on a way to focus?

I am also dealing with depression and anxiety. I don't know how to stop worrying about stuff. My best friend also says that I need to stop worrying about things that are so pointless. I either don't really think they are pointless, or I can't stop worrying. I get depressed really easily. He says I am incredibly pessimistic, which I probably really am, but I just can't seem to think about things positively.

I am really not happy most of the time. I don't know what to do anymore.

Also soon I will be going to college. Does anyone have any ideas of what I should study? I really wanted to go to cosmetology school and be a hairdresser, but now I know I'm probably never going to be able to do that. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Welcome to the group Bernadette! Sorry you had to join, but glad you did! You're not alone! 17 is a rough age for this! I'm in my mid 20s and think it's rough too! Lol most of us here can relate to not being able to concentrate... If I'm having a really bad pain day and am at work.... I've had to leave work early because of pain and concentration issues.If iI can coconcentrate, I can't help my customers.... It will get better tho.. You learn more and more about your body and pain as time goes on. Research as much as you can so you can better understand your diagnosis.
Also, it's nice of your friends to want help keep you on track, but they won't really understand because they can't truly relate...
As for the not concentrating, have any of your Dr's ever considered or ruled out ADD? There are actually 7 types/classifications of ADD. If you want to learn more, I recommend googling "Dr. Daniel Amen – Healing the 7 Types of ADD". Take the questionnaire and if you think your concentration, procrastination, and negative thoughts might be related to add, ask your Dr! I'm not saying you have add, but we can't always attribute every symptom to fibro....

I strongly suggest you take a look around the site at new and old posts, as people here have a lot of good stuff to say! Also, this is a great place to vent!

As for college and what to study, do what makes you happy, what you are good at, and what you want for yourself! No one can tell you what to be in life, we have to make our own way and figure out how and what kind of foot print we want to leave in this world! :)

Good luck on your new journey! And I know it's hard, but you have some new, very understanding, and caring friends here! Please keep us updated and ask as many questions as you'd like!
:)

Bernadette,
Welcome to the forum. It sounds to me like you need to take some time out of each day to relax. When our bodies get overly stressed it makes it hard to focus on important things and also to stop worrying about things that may or may not ever happen. So try for a hour each day, you pick the time, to do any of the following: read a good book, listen to easy listening music, curl up on the sofa under a blanket fresh and warm from the dryer and watch a funny movie, take a bubble bath, go for a slow walk and enjoy nature, start a hobby like painting or crafts that you enjoy, take a nap, etc...

Another idea is to find someone to talk to about your fears and worry, and depression. Search for a mental health pro that you like, that is very important because you can not talk to someone about your troubles if you don't like or trust them. Sometimes you can do web searches and be able to see pictures of therapists, and decide if you want to meet with them. Some people like speaking with their pastor. The idea is you need an outlet for your concerns and therapists are wonderful in that regard.

Feel free to keep posting here and know we will try and be supportive as you figure out your way and pick your collage courses. Don't forget often times you can take courses over the internet as well. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back