Reason
Undiagnosed
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
CA
State
ON
Fibromyalgia has taken over my life with daily pain. The pain is so bad in my hips I cannot stand upright. I am also experiencing extreme pain, burning and cramping in my feet. Is anyone else experiencing this pain?

Well, I am sorry to say that is the question all of us are asking. But, I can say the best way to deal with the pain is to talk to your doctor and, be one hundred percent honest with he or she about it. Dealing with the pain of this disease is very hard. It can be done. I promise. Just try remaining positive and, like I said communicate with your doctor. If it gets too bad go to an ER to get some type of relief till you can get to your doctor. This is the best advice that I can give you and, I hope it helps.

One of the best ways I have found in dealing with severe cramps and pain in the lower legs and feet, is too keep them extra warm. By wearing socks in the day time and at night in bed. Also place an extra throw over your lower legs and feet at night as the warmth seems to stop the cramping and pain. During the day try putting a warm blanket or throw straight from the dryer over your legs and feet which seems to help a lot.

At nighttime for your bed, try and find a cotton fiber bed mattress pad. this is not a regular mattress cover, but is 3=4 inches thick and lays on top of your regular mattress. They come in all bed sizes and are found at most department stores. The prices vary depending on where you buy them but under one hundred dollars is usually a fair price. I like the cotton fiber ones, but they come in foam and feather stuffed as well. What makes them so nice is they provide extra cushioning for your hips and back at night making it seem like your sleeping on a cloud. Thus the more comfortable you are the better you will sleep and less pain in your legs and hips and feet.

I have used them for years. I was unable to sleep on regular mattresses as they were too hard and even a water bed hurt to sleep on then I bought my first thick pad and I felt much better and slept better. Do a web search for cotton fiber bed pads.

Other people use heating pads and cremes with limited success. Hope this helps you a bit. :)

I agree with 1sweed, as heat does help calm the worst of the pain down. I personally take very hot Epsom salt and kelp powder baths (I add boiling water to the tub to make sure it's hot enough, but I don't let it get so hot I burn myself.) I've also found that Tens Units can help during the flare, but only as long as the machine is running. The pain comes back after the machine is done. Acupuncture has helped me substantially too, though it's not solving the problem.

For me personally, grains and sugar in any form (even as raw fruit) cause flares. I don't eat any grain, sugar, alcohol, or dairy, as all these things put me in pain. It's not an allergic response (though I am allergic to corn and wheat,) and I've read several studies showing that people with fibro don't tolerate carbohydrates or sugars well.

I can only take baby doses of meds...so i get help with heat, stretching, and topical pain relievers....love soothanol x2 but only in the morning ..it has msm which can keep me awake at nights, so i use pain erase at night...do you do the calf stretches ? That helps the foot also...

1sweed has given you a lot useful advices :) I think the most important message here is to be comfy all the time! Sometimes I'm stuck in the most uncomfortable positions... that does take a toll! So be careful to make right you are not forcing your neck or back when you are using the computer. I did that when I was doing most of my writing in the bed. Sometimes we do things that seem harmless but in reality they are not.

Please, when you get an answer to the question of pain relief let me know. I have tried every OTC pain reliever made to no avail. A few years ago I started having hot flashes so bad I had to go on HRT and now I can't use any heated product or hot pad or hot shower without triggering massive hot flashes. I use ice packs and menthol OTC treatments. I haven't found any drug treatments that have helped me. Today is the first good day I've had in months which is the only reason I can type this message. I hope you have better luck.

Stopping the pain is a question we all ask our doctors. And, this day it seems they are more concerned about getting addicted to the pain meds that actually make a difference when combined with other medications notbin thier class. I know this way works because my doctor uses it with me. I would suggest talking o your doctor and, explaining whats going on. If that does not help then I would find one who does care about getting rid of your pain or, somewhat better than they are doing now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back