Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
04/2011
Country
NL
State
NL
Today I was thinking about how I cope with fibro and other chronic health issues. I came to the conclusion I don't know what I would do if it wasn't for my best and closest friend. I literally have no idea where I would be right now without the support of my friend. My friend is always there when I need to talk, treats me with rstpect and listens to me. I do the same, of course.

I'm just grateful to have such a wonderful friend, coping with everything has been easier thanks to that one friend.

Btw, there are times I can't see my friend or call, so I start writing in my diary! It helps soooo much! Keeping a personal journal helps so much!

I think most us will agree that sometimes life gets a bit overwhelming and staying positive is hard. I'm sure a lot of you have come up with several ways to cope the best you can. I'm interested to know how you cope with this on a daily basis :)

I couldn't do it without my partner and all my cats. Our little human/feline family is one of the things that bring me most joy on a daily basis. I also feel lucky that I have a very tight group of friends from another online community and we have grown together like sisters, always bringing support to one another, sometimes giving advice, sometimes just distracting with funny or stupid conversations.

I am so lucky that I have such wonderful sons, They help me with things I can't do such as cutting and weed eating the lawn. My Husband is understanding and tries to help me as much as possible. My dogs help me emotionally its almost like they know if I'm sad, They are truly the best therapy. I try to keep positive I always tell myself that it could be worse, There are so many people out there with MS, Lupus and Cancer. So what I have is nothing compared to other people. I have good days and bad days but it isn't damaging my body. The best thing that I can do is except what I have , and know that there is alot of changes that I have to make in my life, but that's ok because I can still enjoy it.

Wow, Lana. That sounds wonderful! I'm glad to read you are more than capable to find the positive side of this :) I must admit isn't easy most of the times, but is great we manage to do it. It's great you have all those wonderful pillars to keep you strong :) Btw, glad you see it that way! I also think about those with MS, cancer or other diseases, we are lucky compared to them, actually cancer is the disease I fear the most.

I couldn't do it without my partner and all my cats. Our little human/feline family is one of the things that bring me most joy on a daily basis. I also feel lucky that I have a very tight group of friends from another online community and we have grown together like sisters, always bringing support to one another, sometimes giving advice, sometimes just distracting with funny or stupid conversations.

Hi Marie! Glad to hear you have a strong support circle, that is and will always be a very important thing in our lives. I think it is in mot people lives, but specially for us because of this disease. Life tends to surprise us tho, so fibro or not we will surely end up needing some support sooner or later. Glad to hear a lot of you have found that :)

Yeah. I find it interesting how sometimes you can find people online who you can consider truly friends. Like you've never met them yet they are such a part of your life. Now that I've found this place hopefully you guys will become part of what helps me cope.

Today I was thinking about how I cope with fibro and other chronic health issues. I came to the conclusion I don't know what I would do if it wasn't for my best and closest friend. I literally have no idea where I would be right now without the support of my friend. My friend is always there when I need to talk, treats me with rstpect and listens to me. I do the same, of course.

I'm just grateful to have such a wonderful friend, coping with everything has been easier thanks to that one friend.

Btw, there are times I can't see my friend or call, so I start writing in my diary! It helps soooo much! Keeping a personal journal helps so much!

I think most us will agree that sometimes life gets a bit overwhelming and staying positive is hard. I'm sure a lot of you have come up with several ways to cope the best you can. I'm interested to know how you cope with this on a daily basis :)

You are very lucky to have a such a great friend by your side. A lot of people take other people for granted, and only notice how much help and love they received when that person is suddenly gone.
There have been times in my life when I had to resort to my imaginary friend to get through some very difficult patches. He has been with me all my life and has never let me down.

Thanks, Ambrosia. I believe I am lucky for having found this friend, I know no one is perfect, but I feel 100% confident this friend won't let me down. We have been friends for so long and this friend been there for me, done the same for this friend.

I'm happy for you! I never had an imaginary friend as a child, but I bet it must be a lot of fun! At least you have found a good way to cope with this and the blows life throws at us from time to time.

Yeah. I find it interesting how sometimes you can find people online who you can consider truly friends. Like you've never met them yet they are such a part of your life. Now that I've found this place hopefully you guys will become part of what helps me cope.

Yes, Marie. I know some people say that friendships created this way are less stronger than the others, but that to me is a completely fallacy. I actually met my best friend online a loooong time ago. Up until then I thought the most meaningful friendships were formed with people you see everyday face to face, but that's not always the case.

I met my partner online, then in person. :)

I met both my partner and best friend online :D I met my current best friend many years ago while playing MMORPG :p It was all casual, we never thought we'd become friends in real life, specially after seeing how troubled this new ''friendship'' seemed. Against all the odds we became really good friends and here we are :) Funny how computers can be excellent tools to connect us to other people :)

My husband is my rock! I wouldn't have any quality of life if it weren't for him. He takes care of things in the house without so much as a grumble, and even though I try my best to keep on top of the chores, I know that he will tell me to not bother, or to go and rest while he gets things done. He does all of the shopping, and sees to everyone's birthdays and all of that stuff. And if that weren't enough, he takes me out as much as I will allow him to (I don't always feel up to it) and makes sure that I see my friends, or just get out for a meal in our favorite restaurant. If I were living on my own, I don't think I would do these things with this illness.

I admire him so much for what he does for me - and he manages a full time job on top of it all. I really don't know where I would be without him.

Take it a day at a time, am thankful for the good days, and just need to get through the bad ones. Fortunately, both my husband and daughter are aware of what this means and what my limitations are, and help out substantially. We all have full-time jobs, and some days I'm just exhausted when I get home. They understand when I say "I'm tired", it means "I"m really, really, REALLY exhausted," and they take over. They are just wonderful! They do all the "heavy lifting".

A few weeks ago I went to a paint-your-pottery place (paint with glaze on a ceramic piece, and then they fire it), was there for 3.75 hours, and enjoyed the heck out of it. I was in a groove, and very relaxed. I find doing artistic things that don't take a lot out of me is calming. So, I want to continue doing it once a month.

I know what my limitations are, and don't push it. If I cannot do something due to a flare-up, I apologize and say I'm having a bad spell. My friends also understand. We're all in our late 50's to early 70's, and are beset with various aches and pains, so they all understand it. I belong to a couple of social clubs, and participate in what I am able to. It's all low stress.

I was diagnosed in May of this year, and I'd like to supplement my treatment with light chair yoga and perhaps water therapy. We have a nice Y nearby, and hopefully they'll have evening classes.

Wow, Madeleine, that sounds awesome! Your family sounds incredibly understanding! You are so lucky! A lot members over here complain about their husband and kids not being understanding, but I can really tell you hit the jackpot, hehehe! Good for you for having that wonderful family and try to stay as active as possible! It's good you have big social circle and like to do artistic activities, I'd do the same, but right now I have no time. I might go for it in the future.

My husband is my rock! I wouldn't have any quality of life if it weren't for him. He takes care of things in the house without so much as a grumble, and even though I try my best to keep on top of the chores, I know that he will tell me to not bother, or to go and rest while he gets things done. He does all of the shopping, and sees to everyone's birthdays and all of that stuff. And if that weren't enough, he takes me out as much as I will allow him to (I don't always feel up to it) and makes sure that I see my friends, or just get out for a meal in our favorite restaurant. If I were living on my own, I don't think I would do these things with this illness.

I admire him so much for what he does for me - and he manages a full time job on top of it all. I really don't know where I would be without him.

Cress, your husband sounds like a truly amazing person and I can truly understand why you admire him! Let me tell you that I really think you married so well, not everyone is lucky to marry with a good guy or girl.

Btw, I really liked one thing you said... about him being able to do all he does despite his full-time job. That goes to show that those who use the old excuse of: ''But I don't have time for that...'' are just making up excuses. I've always believed that when you really want to do something you can do it, no matter how busy you are, if it's a priority you will make it happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back