Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
11/2009
Country
US
State
GA
Well, we all experience chronic pain everyday of our lives. Let's share how we deal with it? I see posts everyday of people asking this question so, here is a topic we can actually give them something that may help from our own personal experiences. Im going to let others share then I will share mine.

Personally, I found the right balance of medication (down to one prescription) combined with lots of water, no sodas and exercise. Cutting the soda/sugary drinks and replacing with water I found helped with some swelling in joints. The Tai Chi helped with loosening joints and their movement while also helping with the stress. I still have bad days where I don't want to function, but they are much less frequent.

Massage helps some, for me. Also ice and heat on my neck. Taking a short morning walk helps but longer ones do not. Warm showers help.

Other than medications, as a nurse I would encourage my patients to do divertional activities like listening to music, massage, guided imagery, and Deep breathing exercises. Yes it would not give much relief but I think it's better to try it so that patients should not be dependent on pain medications. There is a possibility that they would be have tolerance to the medications which would mean the doctor would give higher dose or higher form of pain medication.

I deal with Fibromyalgia by knowing my limits and not overstepping them. For instance, I know that prolonged walking or standing can cause a flare up. So if I'm going out to do shopping, I make sure I make a list of all the things I need before going out. I also take someone along who can help me to find the items I need to cut down on the time I have to be on my feet. I, as well as others, make sure to take my medication around the same time each day to help. If I miss a dose, I make sure I take it the very next day. Nice soaks in the tub with some epsom salt does me some good as well. I also have someone to massage my most bothersome areas and apply hot compresses afterward.

I also have had messages, and continued exercising.
Then getting to sleep on time, and waking up every morning at the same time.
Then talking to friends. Trying to relax each night.

Exercising, sleeping, potassium rich fruits/vegetables are the key.

The way that I deal with chronic pain varies. Some days I am just so burned out and tired from all of the pain that I go into my room and lie down. My children are normally always around me. So I can't really sulk if I want to. So we watch some movies or may even play on our Nintendo 3DS together. Other times, I just push through the pain and keep it moving. I get so tired of being sick and tired that I just say, "Forget it. Today I am going to do something fun and just suffer the consequences later." Suffer I do, but I got out there and had some fun with my family and that counts for everything to me. We know we have this illness, and we know that we have mostly bad days versus the good. Yet, we have to make a resolve not to let it take over our lives and the lives of those around us.

Well, there are plenty of us who still have to take narcotic pain killers because, we our pain is so severe that we need that medication. At my clinic we must follow all the guidelines to be presribed narcotics. They are alternative release therapies like meditation and excercise. Atteding counseling and keeping a pain journal to help get it out of my head and, onto paper where it should be.

Pain can control most of your day if you let it. Medication does help, but the rest I heard from a doctor is psychosomatic. Yes, we will hurt, but, it should hurt that much. The traumas in our life that gave us this condition, has also overwhelmed our minds, and when you can learn how to handle those past traumas the pain will be less. Read the book,'Pain Free in 6 Weeks,' it will change your life of pain, to most tolerable.

I've heard a lot of people talking about this over the years... and it seems that no matter what else someone is doing to cope, it seems that heat of some kind is usually listed as a help.

This could be a warm bath, a heating pad, electric blanket, or one of those heated mats for the bed. I have a pair of slippers that can be heated and there are other things like that as well.

Heat is very good to help with the pain. I sleep with a heating pad most nights and I sleep great. A hot bath and my heating pad and I wi sleep like a baby. I do not let the pain control my life. I am proactive about controlling it and, therefore it does not control me. With all the things I do as a part of my treatment.

Heat is very good to help with the pain. I sleep with a heating pad most nights and I sleep great. A hot bath and my heating pad and I wi sleep like a baby. I do not let the pain control my life. I am proactive about controlling it and, therefore it does not control me. With all the things I do as a part of my treatment.

That's a good attitude to have. I know that there are some degrees of fibro pain that nothing will touch... not heat, not attitude :-D nothing... because it simply can't be controlled.

But even though it doesn't take the pain away, it's always good to have the inner attitude of "I *WILL* beat this monster."

I am just so happy with the way this thread has taken off. The points made are great and, will help anyone looking for answers. Keep it up guys. Thanks for the compliment about my attitude. I try my best because I believe it is the first thing we need to do to control this disease.

Taking my medication, light exercise, rest, support, and my son help me deal. My son doesn't help physically, but his love and snuggles help me emotionally, he is my life, and my strength to get through every day.

I was recently diagnosed and right now I am in the middle of a flare up. This thread helps give me ideas to cope. Off to a nice relaxing bath :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back