How do you not overdo it when you feel better?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That balance can be so incredibly hard to find! Another aspect is that one may feel guilty for not always being able to give 100%, so when they do finally feel decent, they want to overcompensate for that, which only ends up setting them back again, possibly further back than where they started. I think the best thing to do is to just be aware and do your best to remember to do things not TOO much differently than other days. Perhaps the continuity will allow for more better and productive days.

Dr recommends resting often during the day and work only a short amount of time
without taking rests between tasks
good luck

Wow, it is so important that you don't over do things. I know just how tempting it can be to think "I feel great at the moment, I can deal with this" but in doing so you could set yourself back a long way, and that is something that you certainly don't want to be doing. When you know you have things that you need to do, you should try to spread them out over the course of the day so that you never tire yourself out by doing too much at once. Even if you feel as though you're not tired, you should be taking breaks often, as this can help to keep your energy up so that you don't eventually burn yourself out.

This is the worst thing about this condition, it is a constant balancing act for me which I still haven't mastered after five years. I'm online today as I had an hectic weekend and I am now paying for it (my husband celebrated his 50th and I had 50 people to entertain) - Ill be calling work again tomorrow with yet another excuse! It's days like this I worry about the time I spend sleeping - today its been 15 hrs and I am sooooo drained, what if the fatigue never goes away......

Felt pretty drained today. Ate some fish sticks and drank some milk and felt good enough to take care of some house work.

This is actually an issue with me. If I get a burst of feeling a bit better, I feel the need to get a lot done. But then I am back to not feeling well very quickly as a result.

I feel that balance is the key to a lot problems we face. I know I face it. Take yesterday for instance. It's been raining and chilly for almost a week straight here, but yesterday was nice. Not too hot or cold and it was sunny. The grass has been in desperate need of mowing, and many other outside things needed to be done. I was feeling okay, was happy the sun was out, and so I went on an all out weekend warrior acid trip. Putting down mulch, pruning, and mowing (with a non-self propelled push mower that came from a dumpster on an acre of grass that was nearing 2 and 1/2 feet tall) until I had to use a head lamp to get the last few yards of grass cut. I came in, ate, tended to my son, did a few things in the house, got online (to come here), and at 2:00 am, I was dizzy and nauseated with pain and exhaustion. My roommate/best friend helped me get changed and into bed. Today, I feel the dog poop I ran over with the lawn mower yesterday! Everything hurts, and I am so tired, it is just ridiculous. Yes, balance is key, but I have had several doctors tell me I am very "unbalanced." :) That smiley is about all I can muster. Laughing would take too much energy, and I know it would hurt. I know I need to pace myself, take breaks or even naps if that is needed, take my meds on a good and regimented schedule. But when your house is falling down around your ears, you have pressure and stress coming from every side, and people expecting you to feel better, because "you have been resting a good bit lately," it is so difficult for me to tell them or remind them (again) that I have got to take it slow or this (how I am feeling today and probably how I will feel tomorrow) happens. Fibro, CFS, & CPS sufferers really have compassion and understanding in short supply sometimes. I hope we can all find the balance that works for each of us, because we deserve more "good days."

Felt pretty drained today. Ate some fish sticks and drank some milk and felt good enough to take care of some house work.

I can't imagine what this would be. Some days I just feel like be in bed all day, so feeling this every single day should be a real challenge.

I actually have been awake since 7 am and have done probably 5x the stuff by 1:30 pm then I do during my normal days. I have been taking some multivitamins but other than that I have not done much different. I guess it is just one of those days. Good to get things done though.

Balance is always the key to when you are feeling good or having a terrible day due to a Fibromyalgia flare. I personally have to pace myself everyday if I want to keep as balanced as I need to be in order to feel well. It doesn't always work, and it can be a very tough balance because if you do too much, you can suffer, and if you don't do enough you can suffer too. I do what I know that I can handle if I'm having a good day, but if I overdo it, I am laid up for at least a day or two and I can't have that happen if I am going to live my life as normally as I can with this condition. There is no perfect balance as of yet, but maybe someday there will be! Just keep trying things until you find something that works well for you.

I have found the same thing.... if I have a good few days which means doing a little more than usual, I pay the price with fatigue and pain. I have CFS as well as FM.
I am trying to rest at the same time every day (afternoons around 1 pm) whether I feel good or not and to take frequent breaks. I'm off work right now so I can plan my days around my energy bursts and fatigue.
It is really tough because most days just cooking a meal exhausts me.
I cook large quantities of soups and meals and freeze the rest for my family and me.

I find that if I'm having a good day, whether I go balls out or just pace myself, it doesn't always really matter. I had a couple of good days a few weeks back. My husband was going to put the hay in the loft (lot of heavy lifting). I always feel guilty when I can't help. Well, that day it sounded pretty good. So I helped buck hay. I had to sit several times because I'd get woozy, but I'd wait a bit and it would pass so I'd get up and keep working. I figured, oh boy, I was going to pay. I didn't hit that wall "that time"! Other days, I could feel semi normal and be pacing myself catching up on some chore or other and the next day, I'm down and out, for 3-4 days. I still can't find a rhyme or reason when flare ups occur. I could have a great night sleep and feel like poo, or sleep for 3 hours and wake up feeling okay, or just the opposite.

I've really struggled, not only with maintaining the house, but with cooking and eating. I have no creativity these days, nor any appetite. I can't think of what to make and I have no energy to make anything anyway. Not good when I have a husband still working and a daughter still at home...All I can do is continue to try....

I always over do it when I am having a better day.

terbaer, Try reserving a couple of days a week to do all the cooking. Prepare meals in advance and put them in containers in the freezer so they're ready for the week. I find curries really easy and go a long way. They can be made cheaply too, I use canned coconut milk, curry powder (or paste), spices, frozen vege (or fresh), meat or chickpeas. Turmeric is meant to be good for inflammation. You don't have to make your curries too spicy. My other specialty is bolognese which can be made in large batches. Preparation is key :). AND I always play music while I cook and clean up. Trust me, it helps!

Great suggestions Cherrygirl! I've also thought about empowering my daughter (my words :)) to cook one day a week. She just turned 13. I have two very picky eaters so that makes it more of a challenge, but you're right, I need to try it. I've never cooked with curry or Turmeric. I take turmeric tablets each day. I'm also now supposed to go gluten free. Not because I'm gluten intolerant, but one of my physicians thinks it will make a difference in how I feel. I'm not convinced, but I'm trying (when I eat). I will definitely start playing music when I'm cooking and cleaning. I never thought of that! I love music and dancing....Thanks for the tips!

I am amazed at how much I get done when there is music playing! It makes chores much more enjoyable. I actually hate cooking without music!
Curries are gluten free and served with rice. Also Risotto is an easy and cheap gluten free meal to make. I was also told by my immunologist to go gluten free, I am not strict enough though. I think it needs to be all or nothing. Even small amounts can pose reactions. I have the Celiac gene but negatives celiacs and get itchy scalp, eyes and skin when I eat gluten.
Youtube has some great cooking videos for inspiration. Your daughter may enjoy cooking, at her age I was cooking once a week too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back