How likely is it that I have fibromyalgia?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Henry

Reason
Undiagnosed
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
GE
Hello!
I had EBV (mono) a year and half ago. That is when my chronic pain started. I have chronic pain mostly in my legs, sometimes around hips. They persist quite a while then it gets better and then comes back again.
I have spent lots of money for my medical tests and doctor visits. I did X-rays, blood tests, STD tests, urine tests, ultrasounds, MRI, physical examinations....Nothing was found. I have seen a rheumatologist, hematologist, neurologist, infectionist, GPs.
I have just found about Fibromyalgia. How likely is it that I have it?
I am very exhausted of trying to find out what is wrong with me.
I have anxiety and signs of depression.

Well, from what you say it sounds likely to me. But what good is my opinion on that, really, since I am not a doctor.
The actual diagnosis is only useful for a very narrow spectrum of things. How you manage your chronic pain condition is a very wide spectrum of things you can do for yourself that are likely to help you to feel better, be more active, and have less severe pain.

there is a post at the top of the General forum that has many suggestions of tried and true things you can start doing right away that are likely to help you.

The anxiety and depression feed into your pain, and the pain causes more of both, and there's your vicious circle. Do whatever you can to break that, whether it is therapy, medication, exercise, meditation, etc. This is another thing that needs to be addressed. I have, and have had, both anxiety and depression myself and I know how important it is to do my best to manage those because they are guaranteed to make my body worse if I don't. It's very hard. Believe me, I know. And you gotta try your best to help yourself anyway.

If you don't want to keep pursuing tests, don't. I wouldn't blame you for having had enough. If you have a reason to need an actual diagnosis, seek that, maybe by going to a GP and showing all the test results and asking for a diagnosis. You can google search and find a doctor who works with fibro patients, and who won't laugh at you or waste your time. If you need a formal diagnosis, and you feel what you have is Fibro, then it probably won't hurt to act on that assumption and start doing the things you can do to help yourself.
We will be here to cheer you on.

Moin Henry, I'm from Germany too... :)
I agree with sunkacola that this diagnosis is only important to make it easier to find suitable treatments, using docs to a small extent, but mainly web info, book info or us here, altho it also seems to make people feel a bit safer, have something to cling to, sort of feel 'at home' somewhere. To others we still have to say something like 'an invisible chronic pain illness', which is what you have, whatever it is.
For fibro it seems remarkable that your pain is 'only' in your legs/hips, but that doesn't mean it isn't fibro. Also that you say you are exhausted trying to find out, not exhaustion generally or other core symptoms of fibro. Anxiety and depression pose the question what came first, that or the pain - both are associated with fibro in both ways, altho not necessarily. A serious infection can seem to be the starting cause of our first symptoms, yes; in my case praps swine flu.
I know where you're coming from trying to find answers. I did a lot in a very short time (45+ docs, 70 treatments), so I got diagnosis(-es) and excluded other things inside of a year, however I'm blessed with a lot of inner energy and that's been fuelled by success especially getting the single pains down. I'm not giving up to find something for the Ache, exhaustion & sleep problems that remain, but for one month now it's been harder, rather than easier. Docs were not much help at all (10%), only for basics.

Your rheum. hasn't considered fibromyalgia yet? Could you ask? Do you need a doc change?
Have you started combatting the anxiety and depression yet? (CBT or similar)
Sunkacola's advice post at the top of the General forum is a great starting place for you, whatever it is.

Thank you for your reply! It really made me feel better.

Thank you for your reply! I am from Georgia, I believe I made a mistake while I was filling out the info regarding my home country. haha The only thing that scares me is the feeling that something very serious is wrong with me and doctors are unable to find it. Even though I have been examined from head to toe, this is bugging me. however, I realize that this happens because of my health anxiety (hypochondriasis)

Hi Henry ,yes it does sound like fibromyalgia,maybe bring this up with your gp.
If every other test is clear and they simply have looked at everything then it could well be fibromyalgia.now of course it might not be.no one here can tell you yes or no,we’re not drs .
But it worth talking to your dr about the possibility.

I agree with @Forgetmenot Could probably be but talk tour GP to be certain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back