Status
Not open for further replies.

QuieroQueso4108

Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
03/2023
Hi all,

Firstly, thank you all for being here. I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia last week after having all sorts of symptoms for quite some time. I have been reading about it and I do agree with the diagnosis. I am feeling a bit overwhelmed by the diagnosis and its implications on all sorts of aspects of life - I work part-time in a relatively active job and I am also a mature student training for a career in the legal profession.

I have not told many people about the diagnosis yet. I have been seeing a clinical psychologist for several months for a variety of mental health related issues. She knows that I have been having a number of unexplained physical symptoms for a few months so I thought it would be worthwhile to tell her about the diagnosis and talk it over a little. I was hoping to come out of the session feeling better about it but her reaction was basically "oh well, never mind, it could be worse!" I am feeling quite confused now because I know that the pain, fatigue, etc. are absolutely real but she has left me doubting myself as to whether I am overreacting and whether I am going to be taken seriously by medics about this. I am feeling quite upset by it to be honest, partly because I thought she would be one person who might empathise but also because it has made me feel like I am overreacting and making a mountain out of a molehill.

Am I being reasonable in feeling very alone with this? Am I right in feeling overwhelmed and having trouble coming to terms with this? Even when I Google 'Is Fibromyalgia Serious?' I can't seem to really find an answer.

Thanks everyone.

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

I think you were looking for sympathetic responses from your therapist (which is not in the least unreasonable!) and didn't get that, and it made you feel bad, of course. I think that person really could have done better than that! Sure it could be worse but you already know that. what they said was not at all helpful. Maybe you need a different therapist??

I think most of us feel very alone with this at first. That's one reason the forum is here, so that people can know they are not alone at all, even if we are not communicating in person. Here, there are a number of people who want to help and will if they can. You can ask questions, get advice, ask about the experience of others, or just vent if you need to.

As for how serious fibromyalgia is, that will remain to be seen for you. Sorry, but there's no answer to that because each and every person who has fibro has different experiences, symptoms, and things that do or don't work for them to help. You will, unfortunately, just have to wait and see. But the cool thing is that you can do your own experimenting to find out what kinds of things you can do all on your own that can help you to manage it. I wrote a post about that, and encourage you to read it. Do not let all the ideas overwhelm you! You don't have to do any of them, or you can start with just one thing. They may help you or they may not to various degrees, but the experimentation is really interesting and most people find that there is something that helps them to cope or to lessen the symptoms a bit.

We are all here for you!

Reactions: Nan
"oh well, never mind, it could be worse!"
Hi, and welcome!
I fully understand you feeling a bad about this, I would too, and I also understand sunkacola's ideas and empathy.
But this for me wouldn't be enough to put off an otherwise pretty usable therapist.
It could have been meant in the sense of it not being cancer or other degenerative diseases.
But however it was meant the next session will surely clarify it.

Is fibromyalgia serious? Yes. But how serious it is depends on a great deal of things - mental and physical co-morbidities, inner energy, support system, adjusting our mental attitude to life.
I have I'd say a fairly severe form, not very, fairly (healthrising has some comparing categories for that, and I assess my criteria scores regularly, my widespread pain index is 11 of 19 and my symptom severity scale number is 9-10). I managed to get back to working 40% after 10 months, then another condition put a stop to commuting. Despite being able-bodied, doing 100s of treatments every day. But also I'm happier than ever before in my life. It's definitely serious. But it can open many more doors than it closes, if you're up to change, a new life.

Last edited:
It's definitely serious. But it can open many more doors than it closes, if you're up to change, a new life.
This is true! And a very good thing to think about.
At this point in my life, while it has opened a door or two to be sure, it has closed more doors than opened. But I do not expect that to be the case forever, and I have optimism for the future despite everything, because I have learned that no matter how things look now you just never know what might be around the next corner.......a corner you wouldn't have gone around without everything else having happened first.

Hi and welcome.its normal to feel the way you do.your grieving for the life you had,and not sure if you can have the life you want.All normal.
Know one can tell you the future, a this is a massive thing to take in.you need to look at fibromyalgia as a journey, not a destination. You may find your detour alot ,bit you will get there in the end.we all hear have had many ppl who don't believe in fibromyalgia. So that why we got this place.somewhere where someone will understand you.Amd remember the only stupid question is the one you don't ask .

Reactions: Nan
Hi, I fully empathise with you. I can say that you are not overreacting at all. I'm into an active work environment as well but been two weeks off sick as my pain is okay one minute and severe the other. Worse especially in the night and mornings. My current medication had been increased in dose as well still I feel it's not much of a difference.
I'm trying light exercise. Doing home chores really make me tired and feel exhausted.
Bur fingers crossed 🤞 hoping for best being positive.
Sending you prayers and strength.
Take care

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back