Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
05/2008
Country
US
State
OH
I was diagnosed 8 years ago and am almost where I was then even tho many Drs and way to many NSAIDs trying to control pain. I am an asthmatic, not controlled and this complicates treatment. I guess I just needed to tell someone that I hurt all the time. I do little exercise because that hurts more, then I gain weight.
I am so discouraged right now - flower beds need weeded and mulched, cleaning, laundry, so much to do and I can do so little. I work 10-15 minutes and rest 30 then work a little more.
Maybe new Dr at Cleveland Clinic can help me. Thanks for listening.

Hi, Melinda. Welcome to the forum. I am kind of new here too, but have already found a wealth of knowledge and support from some really great people. Everyone that has either responded to a post I've written or responded to someone else's post writes like they are very close friends that live down the street from one another. That is the level of empathy and sympathy I have seen in the men and women on this site.

And you are not alone. Although it was only three years ago that I was diagnosed, I had the symptoms for several years beforehand. And I do not feel like I have made any progress so far in getting the fibro to a manageable place. So being in pain, having so much to do it makes you tired just thinking about it, and needing to be active but being unable to get to the place where you are able to be active is something I am sure most of us can understand! Just keep doing what you are doing. Take it slow. Rest often. But keep going.

I know most or all of us here understand discouragement or downright depression. For many reasons, some as a direct or indirect result of the pain I am in everyday, and some that have very little or nothing to do with fibro, I get depressed very easily. My mom called me "a naturally melancholy person" because I was always so serious even as a little kid. The weird thing about me is I am the absolute best person to deal with a crisis. In the heat of the moment, I am all over what is going on. Give CPR to a possible heart attack victim until EMS gets there? No problem! I can do energy sapping and arm breaking compressions for 15 minutes. A drive-by shooting? No worries. I have the kids in the interior bathroom in the tub and the phone calling the police. And I caught the make and model of the vehicle. But a large-ish pile of laundry? Now THAT completely overwhelms me! Sometimes to the point of tears! I know. I am a little crazy... okay a lot crazy! :D But I am harmless AND housetrained! :)

I am sorry you have asthma as well. I do not know how that feels, just how people I know who have it describe it. I can see where the meds you have to take for your asthma and the meds you would need to take for the pain, inflammation, etc for fibro would really clash. You must have to walk a very thin line there.

I do hope the new doctor will be useful (So many are not these days!) and helpful.

I have found out very quickly that this is a safe place- to learn, to offer things that you have learned, to vent, or to just read other people's stories, struggles, triumphs and- to know that you are not alone in this. I hope you have a good rest of the day. ((gentle hugs))

I guess I just needed to tell someone that I hurt all the time. I do little exercise because that hurts more, then I gain weight. I am so discouraged right now - flower beds need weeded and mulched, cleaning, laundry, so much to do and I can do so little. I work 10-15 minutes and rest 30 then work a little more.

Hi Melinda... and welcome! This is definitely a place you can come when you're discouraged. Don't forget to look back over older posts because there is *so* much information and support here!

I'm sorry that you hurt so much... and all the time. :cry: Don't be afraid to tell us those things... when someone pretends that all is fine because they don't want to share the bad days, my daughter calls it "hippy-dippy happy"... meaning, I guess, that it's fake and others can tell.

Hi Melinda, I, too, am new to the forum, but like you, not new to life with fibromyalgia. After several months of pain, sleepless nights, trying to continue to work as a hospital chaplain, seeing several docs, I was finally diagnosed in Aug. 2007. It's probably a good thing we can't see into the future because I foolishly thought when I found a doctor to treat me that I would live a manageable life. :)
Enough about me. In my early research, confirmed at one of the clinics to which my husband and I traveled, it seems Fibro effects type A women by far more than others. Ahhh, BUSTED! If this debilitating condition is teaching me anything it is to ease up, back off some, SIT DOWN. Oh. And ask for help. Ouch. The few other Fibro folks I have met agree that we struggle mightily with this; it feels too much like giving up...but it isn't. It is what our bodies must have.

My heart goes out to you, my sister. It is impossible for people to grasp how much you hurt unless they have Fibro, even the ones who love you. However, I believe people here will completely understand - we live it. Listen to your body and the encouraging words you receive here; another day is on the horizon. And now you have more friends locking arms with you. Tomorrow some of us will need you. Be blessed.

Melinda,
Sounds like things are pretty bad for you right now. I think you have a good plan of trying the Cleveland Clinic. There are many different types of doctors there and so if you find a rheumatologist or internal med doctor, or even someone in pain management you could build a teamwork of doctors in one place. You might even be able to find a mental health therapist to help you deal with depression and stress. Both of those can also make you tired and overly fatigued and add to your pain.

Please join in and ask more questions and answer other members with hope and this way you will build fibro friends who totally understand what your going through and this will bring your spirits up and make you feel less alone. I am happy you found this forum and joined in on the discussions. A big welcome to you and I look forward to reading more of your posts.

Let us know how you make out in going to a doctor or the clinic. I wish you the best of luck. :)

It is painful, Melinda. That's the truth. And yes, you do hurt all the time. The thing is that those who don't understand Fibro or who never heard of it will not be understanding to you hurting ALL the time. It's a very frustrating thing to have. I think with the doctors this disorder is a good thing. Good thing because if you go in complaining about pain in your back, shoulder, or elsewhere, they can easily say it's related to your Fibromyalgia. That doesn't necessarily have to be the case. For instance, I was having constant elbow pain that extended down my arm to the pinkie finger. I have been complaining about that for over a year and a half, but everyone just brushed it aside. Went to urgent care in May of 2014 and found that I have medial epicondylitis with calcification in tendon. The calcification comes for having this pain for so long and not being tended to upon onset. Well, we are all here experiencing some of the same things. So we will support one another and listen to the other when they just need to say that they are in pain.

Melinda, welcome to the forum and so sorry to hear you are going thru this. I feel for you. When I have flare i can hardly get myself to do something, the most painful part is the migraines and neck stiffness. Makes impossible to do anything. So I understand what you mean with working for a few minutes then taking a while to rest.

You didn't tell us if you are on any med, but I'll assume you are just tell you that not everyone responds well to certain medications, some meds works for some peeps while others won't. Best of luck, hope you find some help at that clinic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back