I can't find a job that is flexible enough for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

grovejhh

Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
09/2010
Country
US
State
FL
I can't seem to find a job that is flexible enough for me. I lost my job due to being sick every 2 weeks or so with flu symptoms. Where do you work that is flexible enough I can work around this disease?? Thanks!!

I had my own business until I stopped working because I chose to. I recommend that if you can do this, it's the best way to go because you can set your own hours, and depending on what you choose to do you can work from home.

If you don't think you can be your own boss, or starting a business seems daunting, then find work you can do from home. there's never been a better time for finding work from home than now, when most businesses in the world are offering work from home options due to the pandemic.

I don't know what would be flexible enough for you, but if you find something that simply has work that is given to you and it doesn't matter when you do it as long as you meet a deadline, then that's about as flexible as you can get.

I did own my own business for 4 years as a dog groomer I loved it but my body hated it. I cut down on dogs and sizes and then eventually I had to move away due to a divorce so I had to start fresh. I hurt my neck from grooming and my fibro was getting worse by the month. So I took an office job and hated it but stayed with it in hopes I would get better and groom again. I was ok sometimes even though it was a very stressful job it was hard on me with a flare up. I was lucky enough to not get them as much as I do now though. Then by the 3rd year I could hardly work without a week going by without a flare up. I started working from home eventually with this going on in the world and then it got so bad I couldn't even get out of bed for those 2 months. So now I'm stuck with trying to find a job that will not fire me or one that is flexible enough I can make money. Or I'm just going to try to get disability which I know is not enough money to feed a mouse.

I am a caregiver for a family member and I also now work as a nonprofit consultant/grant writer. That gives me the freedom to pick and choose the work I am able to take on and how much time and flexibility I have to complete it. I had to give up a very lucrative, full time career but I find that I am much happier now doing my own thing. The stress in the long run was not worth it and most likely led to my initial diagnosis in the first place. I agree that finding a job you can do from home with more flexibility seems to be easier to find now during the pandemic. Have you checked career boards locally (like Indeed) for ideas? Is there something that would be of particular interest to you? When I was deciding my next steps, I focused on the part of the work I was already doing that would translate the best to consultancy or fee per project.

Consulting is a good idea. If you are really good at something, there is always someone who will pay you to teach them how to do it, even remotely on the phone or online. Just have to find those people. Check Craig's List to see if anyone wants something done that you can do at home. Do you like to make things? Can you make something and sell it?

Disability is, as you say, not enough to live on very easily, although if that is what you need then go for it. Be aware, though, that it usually takes a long time for a person to get approved, and you have to be able to show that you have been unable to work for quite some time before you even apply. check on the rules as they are now, so that you know what you need to have lined up before you apply if that is what you decide to do. Best of luck!

I freelance as a copywriter. I've had a lot of success on Fiverr, and recommend checking the platform out. There are so many different things to freelance in on there, and you don't have to pitch for jobs. If you can find something that allows you to do small, individual jobs, so that you can set your own pacing as you go, you'll be golden. I hope you find what you need!

hehe, didn't know the word copywriter ... don't people confuse it with copyright? LOL. Respect! Hard work I think unless you're a natural talent. Fiverr doesn't sound bad. If I don't manage to pull thru working again and can't find anything else... Seems the criticism is that it 'spoils the prices' (that's what we say), i.e. many probably don't really get paid what they're worth, but then again that's more than nothing. If you've had success, you mean you're getting your money's worth out of it, to turn a phrase around... ;-)

Thank you so much I will look into these things!!

Thank you so much!! I will see what I can do!! :)

Thank you so much!! I will look into this!! :)

It's really hard to find something that will work out perfectly. But hang on tight, who knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back